Lock n Lock deal on woot.com

Chrysalides

I was rather amused to see the deal on my favorite deals site (favorite not for the deals, but for the humorous write-ups). $15 + shipping for a set of 14 containers ("28 pieces"). Shipping is $5 whether you get 1, 2, or 3 sets. Someone mentioned that they make excellent geocaching containers in the woot forums. Go to the website to see the size of containers in the package.

Disclaimer : Woot was acquired by Amazon more than a year ago. I don't work for either of them, not an affiliate (notice, no links with sneaky referral codes here) and don't even own any Amazon stock AFAIK.

Very nice deal.

Edited as TheCheeseheads provided more info.

Hmm, now they send extra lids, sweet. I've wondered if they'd ever make just the lids available. I use these in the kitchen ... yeah, what a waste ;-) .. and some that have been in use for a while have lost tabs. Which means throw away the whole thing.

Edited by Isonzo Karst
In the box:

Lock & Lock Storage Set includes:

(1) 54 fl. oz. Container with (1) Lid

(1) 34 fl. oz. Container with (1) Lid

(1) 29 fl. oz. Container with (1) Lid

(1) 24 fl. oz. Container with (1) Lid

(2) 23 fl. oz. Container with (2) Lids

(3) 12 fl. oz. Container with (3) Lids

(2) 11.8 fl. oz. Container with (2) Lids

(3) 10 fl. oz. Container with (3) Lids

I saw this in my email this morning and picked up a set, then came here to see if anyone else had mentioned it.

I'd say, if you're going to hide a plastic container, I'd go with a lock-n-lock because the seals tend to be pretty reliable (I've had lock-n-locks hidden here in Wisconsin for years with no complaints about damp logs) and because of the locking mechanism, it's easy for a cacher to be sure they closed the container correctly before rehiding it.

I saw this in my email this morning and picked up a set, then came here to see if anyone else had mentioned it.

I'd say, if you're going to hide a plastic container, I'd go with a lock-n-lock because the seals tend to be pretty reliable (I've had lock-n-locks hidden here in Wisconsin for years with no complaints about damp logs) and because of the locking mechanism, it's easy for a cacher to be sure they closed the container correctly before rehiding it.

I have seen lock-n-locks closed up with the lid on upside down (seal side on the outside of the container) The lock tabs still held the lid on. That said...lock-n-locks are the best containers after ammo cans.

In the box:

Lock & Lock Storage Set includes:

(1) 54 fl. oz. Container with (1) Lid

(1) 34 fl. oz. Container with (1) Lid

(1) 29 fl. oz. Container with (1) Lid

(1) 24 fl. oz. Container with (1) Lid

(2) 23 fl. oz. Container with (2) Lids

(3) 12 fl. oz. Container with (3) Lids

(2) 11.8 fl. oz. Container with (2) Lids

(3) 10 fl. oz. Container with (3) Lids

+1

My first several hides were all lock-n-locks. Seems like after about the first year I would end up getting some complaint like damp logs and even dirt in one container. I presume the problem has been with a careless cacher not getting the lid back on right and the next cacher finding a damp log and then putting the lid back on right, because when I do maintenance, it is hard to see how water is getting in. Also, sometimes I think cachers overstuff the container with a big trackable or a swag item that just doesn't quite fit and then try to jam the lid closed and get the snaps locked... putting undue pressure on the snaps and not quite getting a good seal.

On most of my recent hides, I have been using screw top containers like well cleaned peanut butter and snack containers. I have had more luck with these than lock-n-locks. Probably not because the container is any better, but because cachers do a better job of putting the lid back on, perhaps? Seems these containers are more careless cacher proof and I collect them whenever I get a chance... for free. I do love free :)

Not to diminish the deal on the lock-n-locks. Very nice deal... thanks for posting it.

I have seen lock-n-locks closed up with the lid on upside down (seal side on the outside of the container) The lock tabs still held the lid on. That said...lock-n-locks are the best containers after ammo cans.

In that case, it's likely that the cacher also couldn't find their way back to their car, preserving the safety of the rest of the caches in the area.

For those who missed out, keep an eye on Woot. This is the third or fourth time I've seen L&Ls come up, and they always seem to sell out fast.

I've seen them a couple of times during Woot-Offs as well, though I never got in on them since they always seemed to come up at 2am. It's usually less than the 28 pc set, but they're priced accordingly.

Edit to add: The 28 pc set came up in the last Woot-Off on Oct 11, for the same price as today. There was also a 10pc set for $4.99 and an 8pc set for $3.99 that came up over the course of the same Woot-Off.

Edited by Mr. 0

It's not quite as good a deal, but Walmart has them on clearance for $19.00 with free site-to-store shipping. It's a 20 piece set, and the sizes are shown in their photo:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Lock-and-Lock-20-Piece-Food-Storage-Set/13863684

(no affiliation)

hey, thanks! I've been wanting to hide my first cache. I'll probably just use a Lock N Lock and since I know I'll be addicted to hiding just as much as I am finding, I'm going to need a bunch more Lock N Locks! :smile:

hey, thanks! I've been wanting to hide my first cache. I'll probably just use a Lock N Lock and since I know I'll be addicted to hiding just as much as I am finding, I'm going to need a bunch more Lock N Locks! :smile:

You're welcome! I actually had the Walmart page open in another tab, considering buying them, when I happened to check Woot. Although I'm very much a newbie, I want to hide some caches of my own eventually, so I figured it must be a sign! LOL! :laughing:

I got three sets. Two sets for caches and one set for the kitchen. :)

oh yeah, they do have use in the kitchen too, dont they? :lol:

Why would anyone hide geocaches in their own kitchen? :ph34r:

Edit to add : I got my tracking #. I ordered 3 sets (in 1 order) and received 3 tracking numbers. Strange...

Edited by Chrysalides
I got three sets. Two sets for caches and one set for the kitchen. :)

oh yeah, they do have use in the kitchen too, dont they? :lol:

Why would anyone hide geocaches in their own kitchen? :ph34r:

Edit to add : I got my tracking #. I ordered 3 sets (in 1 order) and received 3 tracking numbers. Strange...

LOL. I've been known to "hide" (lose) cache containers all over the house (and in my truck, and at the office...)

I got three numbers too..must be big boxes. Woot takes so long to ship I usually forget about it. Then when it arrives, it's like a surprise present.

I got my Woot order yesterday. Wow, these containers are really, really nice. Wish I'd ordered more than one set!

Now I've run across a problem. I can't put these lovely containers out in the dirty ol' woods, to get muddy, buggy, wet, and scuffed up. :blink:

I could only come up with one solution: Buy more containers! :lol:

laker91, you owe me $120, 'cuz that's what that link you posted costed me! :P:D

I'm just teasing, of course.

I picked up 6 sets for Christmas gifts, and a few sets for me. Too good a deal to pass up! B)