New to Android caching, quick question please

Hi all,

I finally bought a smartphone, and I'm really enjoying the Android OS. I know there are multiple caching apps (from Groundspeak's to GDAK to c:geo), and I've read a lot about each here on the boards. Thanks, btw, to all who've contributed.

But I can't seem to find exactly what I'm looking for. Is there a way (or an app, or some apps in conjunction) to see caches that I'm simply driving by? I know I can use GSAK and export my databases to my Android, but since it seems that loading .gpx files is a bit, well, outdated and unnecessary, with a constant data connection. Surely there must be an app which simply shows me where I am, but with caches popping up as I drive down the road (again, caches not pre-loaded from a .gpx file).

Thanks for your input.

CLF.

For "on the fly" geocaching, your best bet is the Groundspeak app or NeonGeo. There's a certain other popular app, but last I checked it violates geocaching rules the way it accesses the site.

As a Premium Member, you can Pocket Queries then load them onto your phone and access them with the free app GeoHunter (or GeoBeagle). Get the free app GPS Status too.

I don't think any of the apps will automatically change the map view as you drive, downloading the caches that you pass by. The app that violates the rules is probably the closest.

The official app does not change map view as you move, and definitely does not load new caches as you move away from your original location.

However, I want to add to what Joshism said about GeoHunter. You can set it up (with a BCaching account) so that its database is updated from PQs by one click. No need to connect your phone to your computer, etc. If the areas that you travel regularly can be covered by PQs, this is as effortless as it gets.

I don't think any of the apps will automatically change the map view as you drive, downloading the caches that you pass by. The app that violates the rules is probably the closest.

C:GEO does have the live map the OP is looking for and will show caches as you drive by them.

Keep the phone plugged into your charger as you do this. The GPS, especially when working like this, eats batteries.