Newbie geocaching with Blackberry vs gps

jomarise

We are quite new to geocaching and have been using cachesense on my blackberry torch, basically we use blackberry maps to guide us as close as possble and then use the radar on cachesense. However it doesnt always work and the radar flickers about wildly.

We recently did a cache which gave a set of coordinates to find the next cache - I found this really difficult although we did eventually find it.

What I want to know is do you just type in coordinates to a GPS and it tells you where to go or is there more to it? I know this maybe a stupid question but I really like the radar on cachesense as its so easy to use. How complicated is a GPS? Will it get stuck the same as the BB?

Any advice appreciated.

We are quite new to geocaching and have been using cachesense on my blackberry torch, basically we use blackberry maps to guide us as close as possble and then use the radar on cachesense. However it doesnt always work and the radar flickers about wildly.

We recently did a cache which gave a set of coordinates to find the next cache - I found this really difficult although we did eventually find it.

What I want to know is do you just type in coordinates to a GPS and it tells you where to go or is there more to it? I know this maybe a stupid question but I really like the radar on cachesense as its so easy to use. How complicated is a GPS? Will it get stuck the same as the BB?

Any advice appreciated.

I use Cachesense on my Bold 9780, although I never use the Radar, I just dont trust it. Try using the Compass instead, I have found all my caches via this method.

With a GPS device (I have an Etrex H) you can simply enter the Co-Ordinates for the cache you are after and just follow the arrow to the site. So in answer to your question, yes it can be very easy or with a few tweaks and use of different pieces of software you can load multiple caches in one go.

Like Firestars I too prefer the compass to the radar, but note that for it to be able to point you in the right direction you have to be moving, once you stand still it will start to swing about.

Also try loading google maps, I find it much better than Blackberry maps for caching, particularly if you use it on the Satellite view, you can download it from here .

In my experience my handheld GPS is marginally better for caching than the BB with cachesense. If you get a GPS you can input the co-ords manually, or you can download pocket queries or .gpx files to it, the precise mechanism will depend on which GPS you choose. In my opinion the GPS is less complicated than a Blackberry.

Thanks all for your replies, The standing still thing explains alot - didnt know that. I think I will get a GPS, the more help the better but will definately use the compass more. I suppose using the both alongside each other we will be finding loads in no time :)

Thanks again all.

Thanks all for your replies, The standing still thing explains alot - didnt know that. I think I will get a GPS, the more help the better but will definately use the compass more. I suppose using the both alongside each other we will be finding loads in no time :)

Thanks again all.

If you get a GPS make sure it has a built in electronic compass, then the arrow will still work if you're standing still, if you get a GPS without a compass it will have the same problem as the Blackberry when standing still.

BTW I find that the compass works best when walking at a steady pace in a straight line, as it is using your motion as calculated by the GPS to work out which direction you're moving in, and it then calculates from that the relative direction of the cache so it knows where to point.

I use a Colorado GPS and have Geocaching Navigator by Trimble installed on the Blackberry.

The Blackberry often gets me nearer to a cache than the Colorado and in IMHO the compass is better on the Blackberry. If the Blackberry had decent OS Maps and I could be guaranteed a signal then I would probably ditch the Colorado. The Blackberry is also good for Field Notes so saves the bother of having to remember where you have been on a particular day.

The Blackberry gives live access to GC so can be more up-to-date for perusal of recent logs particularly so if the PQ I have downloaded to the Colorado is several days old.

Batteries on both last for a long days caching.

Manual co-ordinates can also be entered into both, with the same amount of ease

Edited by Andy_and_Matt

Thank you both, I have just been looking at GPS, there are so many out there. Think I will get one around £100 for now just to see how I get on. Also thank you for the advice on walking steadily - I have noticed it plays up when my son holds the BB, he concentrates so hard he is hardly walking lol and we wonder when it plays up.

I looked at the geocaching navigator when we first started but dicounted it due to the price. Think I will download the free trial just to see what its like. Thanks again :)

Hi

I use cachesense on my bold and I love it! It's very accurate. I've just downloaded google maps thanks to this thread so hopefully it will be a bit easier as the blackberry maps are very basic.

My partner has said he'll buy me a GPS for Christmas to save my phone getting battered (dropped, wet and scratched..... :rolleyes: ) plus we were out in the forest at the weekend and I had fabulous GPS, 1m accuracy but no phone signal so couldn't download the cache info, so in that case a GPS would've have perfect (providing of course the cache info had been downloaded prior to setting out).

I think with both the BB and the GPS I'll have no problems, but if it wasn't for my partner buying it for me I'd stick with the blackberry. I've been out with 2 friends who had android phones and they weren't very accurate at all compared to my BB.

HTH