Magnetic caches on high voltage electrical cabinets

A non-cacher touches a lamppost after a rainstorm and gets gets shocked. The police discover the kid's body and immediately start an investigation regarding negligence on the part of the property owner and the company that installed it. Next they discover a geocache hidden among the wiring, and realize that it was due to 115 people reaching in there and fondling the wires... Who do you think would be found liable by a jury?

A non-cacher touches a lamppost after a rainstorm and gets gets shocked. The police discover the kid's body and immediately start an investigation regarding negligence on the part of the property owner and the company that installed it. Next they discover a geocache hidden among the wiring, and realize that it was due to 115 people reaching in there and fondling the wires... Who do you think would be found liable by a jury?

Cache Owner

I was really impressed with one cache owner near here.

He had a cache in a really nice spot on some structure/art work thing.

when I went looking for it, I got coords that were halfway between that structure and a lamp post, so of course I checked out the lamp post (after not finding anything on the structure, it was well hidden).

I got a mild shock from just touching the outside of the lamp post. I pulled my hand back really fast. It was a little frightening.It was enough to set my arm tingling, but no burns.

I put a note on the cache page about it, warning other to not look in the lamp post and the cache was not in the lamp post. I did NOT post an N/A or anything else. Just a note in my log (I did find it) to be aware of this.

The CO immediately archived his cache without a word.

I was startled at first (I did not want to be the cause of the cache's demise), then impressed.

Some cachers believe in safety.

Cache Owner

There are plenty of cache owners that would disagree with you. How can they be held responsible for the actions of others?

Although the disclaimer and TOU releases Groundspeak from liability, and seemingly cache owners, that does not include non-cachers. They have not read any guidelines or knowledge books, or checked off on any disclaimers. If a cacher gets injured looking for it, the responsibility is on him. If a non-cacher gets injured as a result of damage caused by geocaching activity, they have every right to seek damages.

In this case, I don't think the prosecutor would be leaning on the 12 year old kid. Especially since the site was made aware of the nature of the hide. Let the general public find out, and what do you think their opinion of caching would be? Especially when 100 adults and a reviewer knew about it.

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

The reviewer did archive another of the cache owner's hides due to being on private property, but it's a complete mystery why he didn't act on the one hidden among live wires in a lampost on private property. Perhaps there are many others like this? :ph34r:

This cache is sitting in a bush in sombody's front yard on private property. There is also now a giant hole on the bush where people have been grabbing the cache. Not good.

Awesome. 11 adult finders of a piece of gladware tossed into the hedges of a private residence on a residential street by a child in the name of another smiley. At least it wasn't 115 of them. :unsure:

The "hole" in the bush was probably already there though, and that's why the kid hid it there. And yes, I'm quite off topic here. :P

The reviewer did archive another of the cache owner's hides due to being on private property, but it's a complete mystery why he didn't act on the one hidden among live wires in a lampost on private property. Perhaps there are many others like this? :ph34r:

This cache is sitting in a bush in sombody's front yard on private property. There is also now a giant hole on the bush where people have been grabbing the cache. Not good.

Awesome. 11 adult finders of a piece of gladware tossed into the hedges of a private residence on a residential street by a child in the name of another smiley. At least it wasn't 115 of them. :unsure:

The "hole" in the bush was probably already there though, and that's why the kid hid it there. And yes, I'm quite off topic here. :P

It's how children use the internet to manipulate adults. :D