need ideas

Just finishing up a 10 cache bird series and wanting to make the 11th and final cache something to remember.

Wondering if anyone here has any suggestions or seen something like this done before?

I've done a nesting box for one cache and have had many with the log inside a golden easter egg. And a couple that look like birds nests.

I'd like the final to be large enough for trading so no micros. It will be hidden in a forested area.

Want something clever, maybe with some moving parts, but not too hard to make. TIA. :D

There are two caches in plastic garden owls in my area (oddly, 2 different cache owners, placed on the exact same day!).

Here's link to the an Amazon seller of this item. There are other birds to be had, the owl accepts a decent sized container. It will take a round lock and lock, or other round container, say mayo jar sized. Requires some modification of the bottom to accept a container. My hide in the owl, out over 7 years, has done fine.

How about something that looks like a cuckoo clock that you could hang in a tree? Maybe you'd have to pull one of the weights hanging down to open it? Or set it to a certain time and the bird pops out with the log? If you had the skills to make that I'm sure it'd be awesome.

Or, thinking about a more natural-looking one, how about a replica bowerbird nest? They're the birds where the male weaves together little caves and then decorates it with items all of one color or a few colors- so cool!

This doesn't really answer your question for the final, but yes, I have seen another bird series. Most of the caches were hidden in ways similar to where/how the type of bird would nest. The cache named for bird that would nest on the ground would have been hidden on the ground. One named for a bird that nested in a hollow tree was hidden in a spot like that.

A plan I had fell through when ground zero proved to be not viable. If you can find the right spot, it might work for you. Mine was going to be a 3 stage multi called "Duck, Duck, Goose!". Each stage would be in a small woodland pond only accessable by paddlecraft. Stages 1 & 2 would be duck decoys containing waterproof match safes. Inside each match safe would be a piece of PVC pipe with the coords to the next written in Sharpie. The final would be a goose decoy on a floating platform. Under the goose would be an ammo can.

Edit to add: Each stage would be in its own pond, not all on the same pond.

Edited by Clan Riffster

There are two caches in plastic garden owls in my area (oddly, 2 different cache owners, placed on the exact same day!).

Here's link to the an Amazon seller of this item. There are other birds to be had, the owl accepts a decent sized container. It will take a round lock and lock, or other round container, say mayo jar sized. Requires some modification of the bottom to accept a container. My hide in the owl, out over 7 years, has done fine.

I totally should have done this for my owl cache. Did you have it on the ground or up high, was it covered?

Just finishing up a 10 cache bird series and wanting to make the 11th and final cache something to remember.

Wondering if anyone here has any suggestions or seen something like this done before?

I've done a nesting box for one cache and have had many with the log inside a golden easter egg. And a couple that look like birds nests.

I'd like the final to be large enough for trading so no micros. It will be hidden in a forested area.

Want something clever, maybe with some moving parts, but not too hard to make. TIA. :D

Try this if you don't mind buying it for a differnt purpose. I want to get one for the final of my Chirp cache.

Nordic Ware 64802 Microwave Egg Cooker

http://www.amazon.com/Nordic-Ware-64802-Microwave-Cooker/dp/B0007M2BN0

Try this if you don't mind buying it for a differnt purpose. I want to get one for the final of my Chirp cache.

Nordic Ware 64802 Microwave Egg Cooker

http://www.amazon.com/Nordic-Ware-64802-Microwave-Cooker/dp/B0007M2BN0

Thanks, that is cheap and would work for many different ideas.

Edited by The_Incredibles_