Sign in to follow this  
Followers 7
sussamb

Etrex 20 and geocaching

Anyone got their new Etrex 20 (or 30) to work with geocaches? Mine doesn't seem to want to play and the Garmin stuff seems to indicate you need to download geocaches from opencaching.com, I hope that isn't true!! :mad:

Anyone got their new Etrex 20 (or 30) to work with geocaches? Mine doesn't seem to want to play and the Garmin stuff seems to indicate you need to download geocaches from opencaching.com, I hope that isn't true!! :mad:

Can you elaborate? When your eTrex 20 is plugged into your PC and you click on "Send to GPS", what happens?

I just got my etrex 30 today.

Plugged it into my computer and backed all the folders up. then ran a pocket query for 1000 caches local to me on geocaching.com Then using explorer on windows just cut and pasted the .gpx file with the caches into the folder Garmi>gpx folder (not in the "current" one that is inside the gpx folder)

job done caches all now viewable once unplugged from usb

Garmin wants you to only get caches from them, as you have found out. What they don't tell you is that unlike previous eTrex GPSrs, the 10/20/30 series load caches differently IF you are trying to load a pocket query.

Plug the 20 into your computer and you'll find that it is treated like a mass storage device and that you drag the gpx file or pocket query to the GPSr.

Sussamb, as Luvvinbird asked, can you elaborate? Are you having trouble getting geocache information onto the GPSr, or having trouble reading the information in the field, or what?

I've been using my eTrex 20 for geocaching for the past few weeks, and it's worked very well for me.

I'm heavily leaning toward getting the 20 for my first gpsr unit...pretty much with geocaching being its sole purpose. This original topic made me nervous, but it sounds like you can FOR SURE use it with geocaching.com and not just opencache (or whatever garmin's cache page is)?

Having never used an actual unit, does the 20 allow you to see "x" amount of past logs on a cache? And are those just held in the gpx file? Sorry to thread jack...hopefully I kept it in the spirit of the OP.

Don't think that's a hijack. When I click on 'Send to GPS' the file is simply loaded as a waypoint and doesn't appear in the geocache list. Also only the basic log details appear visible. I'll try later doing a pocket query and 'dragging and dropping', but the basic 'send to GPS' button on a cache page doesn't seem to work (for me at least) :(

I have been using my Etrex 30 for two days now and have the same problem as sussamb. The problem is not loading waypoints/geocaches into the GPS. It's not having the same geocaching-friendly features as prior Etrex unites. Specifically, when routing to a waypoint [with the geocaching waypoint icon] there does not exit the geocaching options of "Found" "Note" "Stop" in the compass screen. As such, the finds are not placed in the calendar.

When I hit the geocaching icon in the main menu, it says no geocaches have been found and to go to the GC website to download geocaches.

I too am disappointed with this. We need to get a campaign going. Or, am I missing something?

Don't think that's a hijack. When I click on 'Send to GPS' the file is simply loaded as a waypoint and doesn't appear in the geocache list. Also only the basic log details appear visible. I'll try later doing a pocket query and 'dragging and dropping', but the basic 'send to GPS' button on a cache page doesn't seem to work (for me at least) :(

You're a Premium Member now, did you try loading any files to the GPS before you became a Premium Member?

I ask, because Garmin (Maybe other units) have a default, that if you load a Non-PM file, any PM files loaded while a Non-PM file is still there will be read as Non-PM (And only give very basic information)

(If you did, remove all previous files)

Thanks for all your replies.

@Bear and Ragged. Think it may have been a combination of that and me using mapsource to also send files I had on my PC. I've now successfully loaded a cache along with all the detail direct from geocaching.com and will try dargging and dropping my pocket queries later this week. Have also switched to Basecamp which is a pain as Mapsource seems far more user friendly, progress I guess.

@Chuy. Yes, have also discovered it's not as simple as it used to be on my old Etrex, it's not where it used to be on the compass screen. When navigating to a cache you need to press the menu button, it's there instead.

Yes I have the same problem with an Etrex 20. It does successfully communicate and download gpx files from Geocaching.com but it does not recognise them even though Windows Explorer tells me they are there. It does however download and recognises gpx files from their own site - opencaching!

Okay HOT OFF THE PRESS from Garmin. Did you try loading up Geocaches you found, like I did? By default they do not appear in the lists. On the Etrex 20 go to Geocaches, press the MENU key and go down to Show Found and enter. The two caches I'd downloaded now show in the list. You need to use their Apply Filter to show those Geocaches you want to see!

Edited by hawleyscouts

Have also switched to Basecamp which is a pain as Mapsource seems far more user friendly, progress I guess.

Tempted to suggest you give GSAK a try...

It can look a bit daunting, but is quick to get the hang of.

To get the best out of it, it's better to use Pocket Queries (Markwell how-to link) which can send upto 1,000 caches to the unit in one go.

GSAK forums are always quick to help, often by Clyde himself.

Clyde (who wrote GSAK) has already got the settings required written into the application.

Free 21 day trial (fully functioning) and a nag screen after 21 days -but still fully functioning.

Edited by Bear and Ragged

OK, next problem! I've loaded all my geocaches into Basecamp and can send them from Basecamp to my Etrex 20. They all show up perfectly under Geocaches. Now I know you can mark them as Found, Not Found etc but I simply want to delete a couple but can find no way of doing it on the device itself!

Sure, I could connect it to my PC and use Basecamp to delete the relevant ones but surely there must be a way to do it on the device itself??

OK, next problem! I've loaded all my geocaches into Basecamp and can send them from Basecamp to my Etrex 20. They all show up perfectly under Geocaches. Now I know you can mark them as Found, Not Found etc but I simply want to delete a couple but can find no way of doing it on the device itself!

Sure, I could connect it to my PC and use Basecamp to delete the relevant ones but surely there must be a way to do it on the device itself??

Suspect it's 'All or Nothing' on the deleting front...

Suspect it's 'All or Nothing' on the deleting front...

Ah, Yup. OR, off load the file, delete the caches and reload the file to the gpsr.

You have to remember that the GPSr is treated like a mass storage device now so things work differently.

Yeah, guess so, pity ... as Basecamp can delete them individually (no deleteing/reloading GPX files) wouldn't have thought it would be that difficult :(

Yeah, guess so, pity ... as Basecamp can delete them individually (no deleteing/reloading GPX files) wouldn't have thought it would be that difficult :(

IMHO..... Garmin would have been better off to NOT have called these 3 new GPSrs "eTrex"s. We, the caching community, are used to the manner in which the previous versions of eTrex's loaded gpx info and how it was handled.

I first came upon this "new" way of handling gpx info when my caching partner was trying to load some caches on her mother's Oregon GPS. Once she figured it out it was easy, but getting to that point wasn't so easy.

It has taken me a bit to get used to this new way of doing things but I am able to adapt and learn.... (I think) :unsure:

@Chuy. Yes, have also discovered it's not as simple as it used to be on my old Etrex, it's not where it used to be on the compass screen. When navigating to a cache you need to press the menu button, it's there instead.

Sussamb, what's "it" that isn't on the "compass screen"? Did you know that you can configure the data fields on the eTrex pretty much any way you want, then save the combination you've created as a new profile? (The built-in Geocaching profile has as a default a small compass, the number of caches found, and the distance to the cache you're navigating to.)

I, too, wish there were an easier way to delete specific caches. I removed some yesterday by looking up GC codes while watching television. :laughing: I guess if I'm diligent about generating .gpx files via pocket queries instead of individual Send to GPS commands, I can identify all the caches later simply by viewing the pocket query.

Patty

Patty, thanks, yes aware I can configure the data fields on the compass screen, thanks.

The 'it' referred to is in reply to Chuy's comment about Found button etc not being on the compass screen like on the old Etrex :)

Edited by sussamb

I, too, wish there were an easier way to delete specific caches. I removed some yesterday by looking up GC codes while watching television. :laughing: I guess if I'm diligent about generating .gpx files via pocket queries instead of individual Send to GPS commands, I can identify all the caches later simply by viewing the pocket query.

Patty

Learn about Pocket Queries.

Generate a 'Fresh' PQ everytime you go out.

Delete ALL the old caches, replace with your new PQ.

Nothing worse than spending time looking for a cache that has been DNF'd/Archived, but still shows on your GPS because you have 'Old' files on there.

The 'it' referred to is in reply to Chuy's comment about Found button etc not being on the compass screen like on the old Etrex :)

Thank heaven it ISN'T!! I was forever accidently bumping the joystick and marking a cache "Found" while hiking or searching. Taht is one thing I didn't like about the old etrex's.

Is there a riff between Groundspeak and Garmin? I'm seriously considering an eTrex 30 but I'm getting nervous. Can I plug it into my PC, click on "Send to GPS" and see all of the "paperless" information I see on my Oregon and 62s? Or do I need to copy/paste entire PQ's to get that info? Do individual caches first need to go to Basecamp or do I need another utility like GSAK to read single cache info? Sorry about all the questions.

Is there a riff between Groundspeak and Garmin?

You may think that...

Garmin do seem to be plugging their own site rather a lot.

Noticed the other day that my Oregon says "Go to ..." and shows Garmins own web site address, if I try to search for a cache and don't have any loaded in the unit!

@ luvvinbird

Can confirm that you can save individual cache files and when you import them into Basecamp all the detail shows up. Transferring them from Basecamp to my Etrex 20 worked also.

I'm unable to try a direct 'Send to GPS' at the mo but would be surprised if it doesn't work (actually maybe not!).

Is there a riff between Groundspeak and Garmin? I'm seriously considering an eTrex 30 but I'm getting nervous. Can I plug it into my PC, click on "Send to GPS" and see all of the "paperless" information I see on my Oregon and 62s? Or do I need to copy/paste entire PQ's to get that info? Do individual caches first need to go to Basecamp or do I need another utility like GSAK to read single cache info? Sorry about all the questions.

I can confirm that you are able to "send to gps" a single cache at a time. I own a 20.

I can see ALL of the paperless info.

Make sure your software is up to date. Current version is 2.30

I am unsure of what "base camp" is. I am in the US.

I have done it right from the cache page or the map page.

Thanks for that, thought it would be OK.

Basecamp is Garmins program (downloadable from their website) that allows you to plan routes, waypoints, view maps etc on your PC and download them to your GPS :)

Basecamp is the replacement for Mapsource

@ luvvinbird

Can confirm that you can save individual cache files and when you import them into Basecamp all the detail shows up. Transferring them from Basecamp to my Etrex 20 worked also.

I'm unable to try a direct 'Send to GPS' at the mo but would be surprised if it doesn't work (actually maybe not!).

When the screen pops up when you try to send the cache to your GPS do you see the "unit id #". I am asking because I had to update the communicator soft when I bought the 20.

Never used either.....

Am I missing something good ?

fyi-

My Etrex 30 is working with PQ's, "Send to GPS" from GC, and basecamp. I'm using Basecamp to send gpsfiledepot map tiles to my Etrex 30. Seems to work well.

baker

@ Davequal

Yep, unit ID pops up and have now tried (sucessfully) to use 'Send to GPS' to send a cache to my 20. Seems it does all work :)

Sounds like this question got sorted out, but just to confirm, you don't need Mapsource or Basecamp or any other program to use the Send to GPS feature with an eTrex 20. All you need is the Garmin Communicator plug-in for your browser.

Never used either.....

Am I missing something good ?

Maybe, maybe not. :lol:

I use Basecamp because of the mapping portion. I can see a whole PQ on a map and then print out the map for planning purposes. This is great when you are trying to layout the most efficient way to get from one cache to another without back-tracking. Then I use GSAK to put them in a numerical order and we go by that list, not what our GPSrs say is the next closest.

And we're talking about either a very long trip where you want to do many, but not all, the caches OR a trip where you are trying to do as many as possible in a reasonable time length.

Edited by ngrrfan

Sounds like this question got sorted out, but just to confirm, you don't need Mapsource or Basecamp or any other program to use the Send to GPS feature with an eTrex 20. All you need is the Garmin Communicator plug-in for your browser.

This I know. I had to "up-date" the communicator software when I got the 20. What ever I was using when I had the eTrex was not working.

I just got my eTrex 20 and had no problems downloading and viewing caches from Geocaching but I'm new to paperless caching so I can't compare it to anything. Wish there was a way to delete caches tho. Basecamp looks like a good thing to try. Is it complicated to use?

Basecamp takes a bit of getting used to, but once you've played with it for a while it's very useful.

Basecamp takes a bit of getting used to, but once you've played with it for a while it's very useful.

For most things, I still prefer the simpler interface of MapSource, but if you begin to get involved with Birdseye images, BaseCamp is the only option for downloading and managing these.

I agree, it's taken until now to persuade me to abandon Mapsource but the new Etrex range requires it ... progress so we're told :rolleyes:

You can delete geocaches individually - Go to waypoint manager, select the cache that you want to delete, press menu, and a menu pops up with "Delete" at the top.

I've been dealing with the issue of caches showing up in my waypoint list, too, and not in the cache list. I'm sure I'll get it sorted out after reading through here. But, I found a point where I want to place a cache. Made the waypoint on my etrex 20. How do I convert it from a waypoint to a cache?

If you simply want to change the symbol you can do that using Basecamp, don't think it's possible on the device itself? If it is it'll probably be available somewhere within Waypoint Manager. I tend to use Basecamp to do any changes as it's easier :)

Edited by sussamb

I never use the "Send To GPS" link, as I run Linux/Firefox and Garmin doesn't see fit to write a plug-in works in all versions of Firefox. So I just use PQs, or when I want to load just one geocache, I click on the "GPX File" link, and save it to /Gamin/GPX.

And the waypoint symbol can be changed on the unit (well, on the eTrex 20, anyway) by going to the waypoint's edit screen and selecting/highlighting the symbol in the upper-lefthand corner, and clicking on it with the joystick.

Thanks riffraff, the old Etrex allows you to change the symbol too but I hadn't spotted it on the new Etrex 20 :)

You can delete geocaches individually - Go to waypoint manager, select the cache that you want to delete, press menu, and a menu pops up with "Delete" at the top.

Thanks. The one complaint I've had with me Etrex 20 was not being able to delete caches if I decided not to look for one for some reason.

Really? Not on mine you can't, geocaches don't show up in the waypoint manager list. What software version are you running?

Edited by sussamb

Really? Not on mine you can't, geocaches don't show up in the waypoint manager list. What software version are you running?

They do if you download them as waypoints and not as a gpx file.

I thought I knew my way around this GPSr lark, but after an hour of frustration I have had no success with the Etrex 20 geocaching feature.

I expected to be able to see the "key information, including location, terrain, difficulty, hints and descriptions" by "Simply upload the geocaching GPX file to your unit and start hunting for caches.".

Garmin blurb.

Nope!

All I see is the list of geocaches (name, terrain/diff etc) but there seems no way of displaying the description or hint for any of them.

I've tried various different methods, including the "Send to my GPS" from the gc.com cache page, the copy of GPX file to the Garmin folder on the device (also the memory card) and direct send from GSAK 8. All have the same result of showing the basic list but no more.

Any ideas?

Not sure why you're using GSAK? All you need do is create a PQ and drop the unzipped gpx file into the gpx folder ... then everything works fine.