Better Forum performance?

Dixie's Crew

Is Groundspeak tied to Infopop? Wouldn't one of the PHP/MySQL (vBulletin, for instance) be a better performer?

The reason I ask is that doing a search on this board can be VERY time consuming, so much so that I get tired of waiting and don't let it finish.

Don't get me wrong, I love the interaction here, just curious about the tools used and if they could be improved.

We're in the process of moving from OpenTopic to UBB.x. UBB.x is based on the same codebase as OpenTopic so there will be no change in features, but it will be on a dedicated server and use a MySQL backend. That combination should give these forums better performance. The transition should happen in a week or so.

-Elias

The reason behind the slowness of the search engine is that for the last few weeks, the pigeons that do the pattern matching have contracted the adenovirus. We're only at 1/3 pigeon capacity which is reducing the response rate on most queries.

We've started training colony ants to do the job, so it should be more efficient within a week or two, depending on our sugar supplies.

Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location™

I've tried some of those forums that use colony ants for parsing searches, and can say for sure that there were bugs in those systems. I would recommend using hamsters. Mine runs on his little wheel all night long (hamsters are nocturnal). If you keep groups of hamsters under bright lights vs. total darkness on rotating shifts, you'll be at full power 24/7.

I look forward to the new and improved forums! Thanks for all your hard work.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

I was formerly employed by the Department of Redundancy Department, but I don't work there anymore.