The London Loop

drsolly

The London Loop is a path that goes all the way round London.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Outer_Orbital_Path

It's 150 miles. You'd be insane to try to set caches all the way around it. But if you did, you'd have over 1000 caches. If you hit the distance rules exactly, you'd have 1500 caches. Am I insane? There's two opinions on that, mine, and ladysolly's. She, of course, is correct.

I'm sure that there's some already there, but I don't think there's been any kind of systematic attempt to lay caches around the whole Loop. It would be a Wonder of the World to rival the great Wall of China; certainly visible from earth orbit (well I'm sure that London must be, at night). And it would rival the ET Highway series, now removed because the transport authorities thought it was a danger to safety, being on a highway. Well, the Loop isn't for cars; walkers and bikes only, so no safety issues. It would bring cachers (and their tourist euros) from all over the world to our great city, and it would be a significant challenge (league tables of who's done the most Loop caches, competition to be the Top Loopy, Loopy Of The Month, Fastest Loopy etc.).

My thought is that most of these caches should be fairly easy to find (if you're aiming for a long distance walk, you don't want a 20-minute hunt very often). Although a proportion could be clever hides, and/or difficult.

But I don't fancy the idea of laying, and maintaining, over 1000 caches. My Chiltern Hundred (109 in three loops) is enough! So here's my proposal.

1. First and foremost, we want approval (in principle) from the reviewer responsible for the area. Obviously each cache would still have to go through the usual review process, but I need to know if there's a reason why the whole project cannot proceed (there used to be a rule against power trails, but I don't know exactly what constitutes a Power Trail, or whether this rule still exists). Unless we can get this approval in principle for the series, there's no point in proceeding. But since the ET Highway was approved (1021 caches along a road) I don't see a reason for non-approval.

2. Second, we need someone to organise the thing. I'm not the right person for that, I know my limitations, and organising things isn't my thing. The organiser should be a volunteer, and their main job will be to coordinate the people who will actually make the caches, lay the caches, and maintain the caches. I'll volunteer to set up a London Loop Geocache web site, and do any programming that the project needs.

3. Third, we need volunteers. I'd say something like 20 people, each setting 50-odd caches. Plus volunteers to do maintenance (maintainers don't have to be the people who set the caches).

4. Fourthly, we need 1000-odd caches to be manufactured. I'd suggest that most of these caches will be micros, although if cache setters are happy to make larger caches, that's fine. My suggestion for these caches is that they be fake rocks, fake bricks (or a holey brick with a 35mm inside) or fake logs; easy to hide, fairly easy to find. Fake rocks are expensive ... unless you make your own, in which case they're very cheap. A fake log is just a real log with a hole drilled for a cache. I often see discarded holey bricks when I'm out caching; I'm going to start collecting them.

So - any thoughts?

Edited by drsolly

Hi DrSolly

I love your idea. Sounds like a great plan. If you're looking for a co-ordinator I'd be quite happy. I love organising things! I used to a Brownie Guider and co-ordinator for a Census project so have most skills required. Am at home and available by email most of the time as I care for my husband. Good with databases too. I'd also be happy to set out some caches in the area around Chingford/Enfield area as this is the nearest to me.

Let me know what you think

Abi

Edited by abiherts

There's no reason why it shouldn't be allowed...

I'm thinking Skeg to Ness here - All of which were easy peesy to find and were a great couple of days out for a group of us. OK - they weren't 528ft apart, more like a mile or so, but there ARE loops that are literally 528 ft apart........

Good luck.....

Edited by HazelS

Hi DrSolly

(Actually my first post here, but I've been lurking for a while).

We live close to Section 17 of the London Loop and have a few caches along it already. We made a bookmark of the caches close to or on the route here:

LL17 Bookmark

When we started, we saw that there were quite a few caches already along various sections of the route (obvious really as it's a mostly nice walking route and that's where caches have a tendency to be). However, there is no "controlling mind" as such.

Lots more info here on the TFL site:

TFL London Loop site

I'd love to do it - maybe B&B's could be recommended along the way (I'm sure there is a way around the advertising rules as I for one would like a recommendation on places to stay if attempting it). It would cetainly be an achievement and I am sure would attain legendary status quite quickly. Perhaps a pilgrimage might ensue? I know that I would drag a friend or two along to attempt and I am sure it would get a great deal of media coverage. I am already wondering what sort of times people might complete it in.............

Hi I also live near section 17 and some of my caches are close or on the loop.

Hi DrSolly

We live close to Section 17 of the London Loop and have a few caches along it already. We made a bookmark of the caches close to or on the route here:

LL17 Bookmark

When we started, we saw that there were quite a few caches already along various sections of the route (obvious really as it's a mostly nice walking route and that's where caches have a tendency to be). However, there is no "controlling mind" as such.

TFL London Loop site

I'd love to do it - maybe B&B's could be recommended along the way (I'm sure there is a way around the advertising rules as I for one would like a recommendation on places to stay if attempting it). It would cetainly be an achievement and I am sure would attain legendary status quite quickly. Perhaps a pilgrimage might ensue? I know that I would drag a friend or two along to attempt and I am sure it would get a great deal of media coverage. I am already wondering what sort of times people might complete it in.............

We might not be allowed to mention B&Bs on gc.com but presumably if someone maintains their own web site to compile statistics etc then there's nothing to stop them providing things like a map with the route shown on it, an outline of roughly where the caches are, and a few suggested B&Bs around the route.

I'm not sure that aiming for a cache every 528 feet is a good idea (it tends to get dull hunting a predictably hidden film pot every couple of hundred yards) but the loop in principle sounds like an interesting idea.

I could maintain a web site for the Loop project; places to stay, public transport info and places to eat could go on that. Perhaps if we don't give the names of the establishments, but just their coords then it wouldn't be considered advertising? A lot of cache pages say "there's a pub nearby" and that seems to be OK.

Hi Alan,

The London Loop is a path that goes all the way round London.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Outer_Orbital_Path

It's 150 miles. You'd be insane to try to set caches all the way around it. But if you did, you'd have over 1000 caches. If you hit the distance rules exactly, you'd have 1500 caches. Am I insane? There's two opinions on that, mine, and ladysolly's. She, of course, is correct.

So - any thoughts?

Sounds good to me and spookily I'm planning a similar series that follows the Sussex/Surrey Border Path, with the idea that local cachers to a particular section place some. They'd all be numbered (like the Church Micros). I will be discussing it at the Sussex Mid-Monthly meet tonight in Horsham.

Link to the meet: Sussex Meet

Regards,

Martin

I most likely already have a few along Sections 4 and 5 (West Wickham to Hamsey Green To Coulsdon South) and could easy lay some more... I even promise not to make them difficult.

It doesn't even need to be a power trail as such. Unlike those American ones, there are unlikely to be neat, evenly spaced hiding places so they can be hidden more traditionally along the route, allowing some space to just enjoy the walk.

Edited by HouseOfDragons

I have checked . We lived close to section 16 . My cache Area 51 for Travel Bugs GC1HQW5 is a little South East of the loop.

Hi DrSolly

LL17 Bookmark

TFL London Loop site

I have checked . We lived close to section 16 . My cache Area 51 for Travel Bugs GC1HQW5 is a little South East of the loop.

Hi DrSolly

LL17 Bookmark

TFL London Loop site

Eh?