Silly Cacher

Bamilbis

Well, here's my story that's a tad embarrassing but funny too. Go to cache GCJVH6 (Ski In Ski Out)and scroll down and read my logs. I suppose you could get to it through my profile page too...it's my 40th cache and it's in Colorado to help you narrow it down.

What a day! I suppose maybe I shouldn't have called the cops in hind sight...

: )

Well, here's my story that's a tad embarrassing but funny too. Go to cache GCJVH6 (Ski In Ski Out)and scroll down and read my logs. I suppose you could get to it through my profile page too...it's my 40th cache and it's in Colorado to help you narrow it down.

I guess that I am shocked that you would jump to the NA without having the facts. Embarrassing yes. But hopefully a learning experience too.

I'm glad to see you went on to do 80+ more caches afterwards. Put that behind you!!! :laughing:

Why didn't you list your dnf?

Needs Archived

07/15/2011

Okay, either I am missing something VERY big or this cache needs to be shut down. I followed my GPS to the "Bear Den". Since the CO put that in quotes I figured it refered to a ski trail name or something. When I got to the bear den I realized it's really a man made bear den. Okay, I guess for hibernation or something. I approach the den and look through the crack and see two large eyes looking back at me! Looked like bear eyes to me. I backed right out of there. Thinking about it, why would there be a caged bear there in mid July? Who would feed it? Why wouldn't there be ANY signs says don't screw with the bear? I figure the bear came back for whatever reason and the other side of the den (the door side) was open. That means I was exposed to a wild freaking bear. Maybe I'm wrong and it was caged. I can't figure why but maybe. If so the description needs to say something. If the door was open and it was a wild bear maybe this is a poor location to be sending cachers. At least bump the terrain up! DNF

Needs Archived

07/15/2011

Okay, either I am missing something VERY big or this cache needs to be shut down. I followed my GPS to the "Bear Den". Since the CO put that in quotes I figured it refered to a ski trail name or something. When I got to the bear den I realized it's really a man made bear den. Okay, I guess for hibernation or something. I approach the den and look through the crack and see two large eyes looking back at me! Looked like bear eyes to me. I backed right out of there. Thinking about it, why would there be a caged bear there in mid July? Who would feed it? Why wouldn't there be ANY signs says don't screw with the bear? I figure the bear came back for whatever reason and the other side of the den (the door side) was open. That means I was exposed to a wild freaking bear. Maybe I'm wrong and it was caged. I can't figure why but maybe. If so the description needs to say something. If the door was open and it was a wild bear maybe this is a poor location to be sending cachers. At least bump the terrain up! DNF

He didn't log it as a DNF. It was a NA.

Needs Archived

07/15/2011

You didn't say "Why didn't you post a DNF log?". You said he didn't list his DNF, which he did. The whole topic is him laughing at himself for jumping to the NA without checking the facts first so I'm pretty sure he knows he goofed there.

And good to know that he realizes his error without beating himself up too much for it.

Needs Archived

07/15/2011

You didn't say "Why didn't you post a DNF log?". You said he didn't list his DNF, which he did. The whole topic is him laughing at himself for jumping to the NA without checking the facts first so I'm pretty sure he knows he goofed there.

And good to know that he realizes his error without beating himself up too much for it.

I didn't 'say' anything.

Needs Archived

07/15/2011

I didn't 'say' anything.

Touché :laughing:

I suppose I could have gone an extra step and logged the DNF too, but at that exact time I was between logging an NA log to keep others away from what I thought was a wild bear on GZ and calling the police to investigate said bear at a caching site. The DNF log sorta got pushed to the back burner. At the time I honestly thought it was a real bear. The idea that someone placed a life size plastic bear in the woods didn't occur to me. ( I did attach a photo to my log in case you want to see the "bear" )

Don't get me wrong, I do get the the humour in this and that why I'm sharing it. I'm not sure exactly what I should have done different. I guess wait to log the NA AFTER the police investigated. Truth be told I logged the NA before I even decided to call the police. Or I could have contacted the CO with my concern. In that regard I must admit I let my "fight or flight" instincts take over and I chose to flight. A bear in the mountain woods of Colorado in July made way more sense to my mind than a plastic bear in a man made bear den. I made the best decisions I could and it wound up making me look pretty foolish. That's why it's funny. Sorry about the lack of a DNF "log".

e5bdb7e2-d568-4b5d-9076-9057e7948727.jpg

Edited for typos. Also removed snarky bit...I don't want to be "that guy".

Edited by GeotaggedBloger

You're not alone... I once was at a cache and heard what I thought was a bear growling (there are no bears in my area, ever) but 'fight or flight' took over and we didn't try to make sense of it, we got out of there. Long story short, the rail trail ended about 50ft away, and backed onto a small zoo. What we heard was a LION!!

I'll give ya silent. But stationary isn't fair. When I looked through the crack I saw it for about one third of a second before my brain recognised "BEAR" and that was it...I was gone.

Maybe I should've combined the visual with the lack of audible...but I didn't. I took what I saw as enough evidence and scadaddeled.

Once again, in hindsight it's pretty funny. At the time...not so much.

Edited by GeotaggedBloger

I'll give ya silent. But stationary isn't fair. When I looked through the crack I saw it for about one third of a second before my brain recognised "BEAR" and that was it...I was gone.

Maybe I should've combined the visual with the lack of audible...but I didn't. I took what I saw as enough evidence and scadaddeled.

If you look through the logs on that cache, you'll find someone else took a lighter picture of the bear, and there's a speaker in there and some other "effects". By the looks of it, I wonder if it was originally meant to move and growl.

Good story. Thanks for sharing!!

My ex and I ran across a fake wild boar in the woods. We went down a side trail and there it was blocking the trail. I swear he jumped back 5 feet right in the air. He yelled as he did it, then looking a little sheepish, realized what it was. I'm just glad he was going first. :P

Don't you know that you are supposed to play dead when confronted with a bear? Of course, if you had known that, you might still be there!