Please provide HTML editor to edit cache listings

triakcz

Hi, I had two active caches and one will be placed in short time. It's really unfriendly to write listing in HTML outside of geocaching.com website and then copy&pasting it to website. Isn't it possible to provide HTML editor in that textareas ? May be the same editor as this message editor on forum. Thanks for considering of my idea.

Hi, I had two active caches and one will be placed in short time. It's really unfriendly to write listing in HTML outside of geocaching.com website and then copy&pasting it to website. Isn't it possible to provide HTML editor in that textareas ? May be the same editor as this message editor on forum. Thanks for considering of my idea.

Unfortunately the powers that be at GS don't really monitor the Forums for ideas. They have created the Feedback Forums for users to submit ideas. Chances are this idea has come up already. So check out the feedback forums and see if it has. Then vote for it so GS knows this is something the people want in the next update. If its not there then start a new topic.

http://feedback.geocaching.com/forums/75775-geocaching-com

Didn't they give us a HTML editor for a while, and it was a disaster? Or maybe that was just for trackables? At any rate I don't trust Groundspeak to do it right, so I'd rather they don't try.

The one for trackables is still there and AFAIK works fine. The failed one was for logs, it was rolled back and never returned.

Didn't they give us a HTML editor for a while, and it was a disaster? Or maybe that was just for trackables? At any rate I don't trust Groundspeak to do it right, so I'd rather they don't try.

OTOH, Prime Suspect has an excellent HTML editor for use with logs you can use with Firefox and Greasemonkey. Maybe someday he can adapt that for the cache edit page.

Groundspeak wouldn't have to create the HTML editor. There are numerous WYSIWYG javascript based editors that produce HTML that are being used in content managements systems such as Drupal and Wordpress as well as many blogging platforms and other other applications which require the use of WYSIWYG formatting of content. There are hundreds of thousands, if not millions of instances of these applications that have tested these editors. The most common are TinyMCE and CKeditor. The do require some configuration to limit the types of markup that will be allowed but that's not all that difficult.

The one for trackables is still there and AFAIK works fine. The failed one was for logs, it was rolled back and never returned.

That is as I remember it.

Not really a TOTAL disaster, but one was better-off using WORD for the HTML. :lol: