Pocket Queries in PalmDoc format - you can!

parkrrrr

While we're all sitting here waiting for GPX to make its long-awaited debut, here's a morsel that might be appetizing to those Palm users who, like me, think MobiPocket only crawled out of a sewer because the things that were living in the sewer couldn't stand its stench anymore:

Go to http://216.202.195.127/mobipocket.html, where there used to be a script to give you the raw text contents of your MobiPocket document, and you'll find that it's changed so that it now gives you a PalmDoc document that you can use with TealDoc, Palm Reader, CSpotRun, iSilo, or whatever other standards-compliant document reader you already know and love.

Be warned that this is a slow process. MobiPocket documents are a lot larger than .loc files, so the upload will take longer, the processing will take longer, and the download will take longer. Don't be surprised if it's several minutes before the file starts downloading.

warm.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Eurastus:

without the hyperlinks and such, it's just too difficult to use icon_confused.gif. I had such high hopes; I use iSilo frequently and love it...maybe someday I can delete the MobiGarbage icon_wink.gif.

The Palm doc format doesn't technically support hyperlinks, though TealDoc does. There should be bookmarks, though, which serve almost the same purpose. If not, try using your reader's "Bookmark autoscan" feature.

It's possible that there'll be pre-made bookmarks as early as tomorrow. When I tried to insert them before, I ran into a bug in the PDB library I use, but I tracked it down and killed it so maybe the second time's the charm.

(Edit: bookmarks are now added to the file correctly, so you don't need a "bookmark autoscan" feature to use them.)

Here's what it looks like in TealDoc:

mobidoc.jpg

warm.gif

[This message was edited by Warm Fuzzies - Fuzzy on August 28, 2002 at 10:37 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Eurastus:

without the hyperlinks and such, it's just too difficult to use icon_confused.gif. I had such high hopes; I use iSilo frequently and love it...maybe someday I can delete the MobiGarbage icon_wink.gif.

The Palm doc format doesn't technically support hyperlinks, though TealDoc does. There should be bookmarks, though, which serve almost the same purpose. If not, try using your reader's "Bookmark autoscan" feature.

It's possible that there'll be pre-made bookmarks as early as tomorrow. When I tried to insert them before, I ran into a bug in the PDB library I use, but I tracked it down and killed it so maybe the second time's the charm.

(Edit: bookmarks are now added to the file correctly, so you don't need a "bookmark autoscan" feature to use them.)

Here's what it looks like in TealDoc:

mobidoc.jpg

warm.gif

[This message was edited by Warm Fuzzies - Fuzzy on August 28, 2002 at 10:37 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by MrGigabyte:

Hmmm... I get the following error returned from the script on all the mobibooks I received today:

This is not a geocaching.com pocket query file

It looks for a specific string to make sure you're not trying to run a copyrighted ebook through it. If the results files have changed to not contain that string, it's possible that you're getting that message in error. I'll check that out tomorrow when my next query arrives.

warm.gif