Really confused about GPX, Easy GPS, and Spinner results.

leatherman

I am trying to tweak the waypoints generated by Pocket Querys.

I generated a quarry of 200 caches in a hundred miles of down town Seattle. However I made a mistake and input the wrong coordinates. They were about 15 miles east of Seattle.

I ran this file through Spinner before I realized it was centered wrong. The file resulted in 200 waypoints.

I recreated the query to center it in Seattle. The only thing I changed was the cache count. I raised it to 250. Now with this new file Spinner only generated 139 waypoints. I thought Spinner was resulting in errors, so I loaded the query GPX and it only loaded 89 waypoints?!?

Why would Spinner generate more waypoints then the query had? Why would moving the coordinates and increasing the cache count result in less waypoints?

The new query is for 250 caches in 100 miles. So it should reach the 250 limit before it reaches 100 miles.

39197_2700.jpg

I am the result of genetic manipulation of superior Geocacher DNA. Faster, stronger with superior reasoning and logic.

Mokita!

No

Strange. How would the extra step of zipping the file alleviate problems in how many waypoints are generated in the original GPX?

That wouldn't change the fact that Spinner generated 139 waypoints. When the query GPX only makes 89.

I'll try zipping them. I didn't bother, 'cause I have broadband. I didn't need smaller files.

39197_2700.jpg

I am the result of genetic manipulation of superior Geocacher DNA. Faster, stronger with superior reasoning and logic.

Mokita!

quote:
Originally posted by leatherman:

No

Strange. How would the extra step of zipping the file alleviate problems in how many waypoints are generated in the original GPX?

That wouldn't change the fact that Spinner generated 139 waypoints. When the query GPX only makes 89.

Download the most recent version of Easygps. previous versions had a bug where they would not see all the waypoints in the gpx file.

What you are hitting sounds exactly like that bug - spinner sees 139, easygps sees 89.

There are probably actually 139 but easygps does not see all of them.

Yeah.

The version I was using is 1.1.9. I downloaded it in February. Didn't know there was another version.

The new one is 1.2.2 I'll try it out in the morning when I receive my edited queries.

Thanks

39197_2700.jpg

Mokita!

Well I downloaded Easy GPS 1.2.2 with no improvement.

I will simply concede that Easy GPS will not read GPX files with more than 200 caches. Anything above 200 and it randomly loses waypoints. This happens with the Spinner GPX and the even worse with the query GPX.

The waypoints are the most important part of queries for me. I can live with generating three queries for my region.

39197_2700.jpg

Mokita!

I just loaded 340 waypoints to send to the GPS. When you installed the new version, did you completely un-install the old version and delete the entire EasyGPS directory?

Another thing to try is download GPX Watcher and look at the files being sent by geocaching web site and the spinner.gpx file. Also check to see what you have setup in the IgnoredCaches file in the spinner directory.

Easy GPS doesn't install. You run it from whatever directory you have it in. I did delete the old files and short cuts.

I don't want to ignore any caches, so I didn't edit the ignore list.

39197_2700.jpg

Mokita!

Zipping the gpx file will solve your problem. I had the same thing happen and even had the easygps people look at the file and thay said it was corrupt. Haven't had a problem since. And now that GpxSpinner will unzip them for you, there isn't any reason not to get them that way.

Frank

I already took that route. No difference.

Thanks though.

There is a new version of Easy GPS on the TopoGrafix site. Version 1.2.3 and it does have an installer.

Now I have to do more testing.

39197_2700.jpg

Mokita!

I had two other similar problems. One was when I edited the gpx file with Notepad it was introducing junk in the file. Fixed that problem by using Textpad instead. The second was that some HTML junk that easygps didn't like was in the file. Watcher straightened it out. I don't use watcher any more so maybe the way I use spinner is fixing it. Hope this helps. Updated versions of easy and expert gps didn't for me.

Frank