Todays field notes will not upload!

Indotguy

I've been using the Geocaching.com site to upload field notes for over a year with no problem until today. The GPS is recognized and the Field Notes file is displayed. Everything is normal until I click on the "download" button and it tells me there are no field notes to display. I checked the GPS and confirmed five new field notes are there. I tried rebooting and re-connecting the device to no avail. Any suggestions?

I noticed that my field notes from yesterday only partially uploaded. When I realized how few had been uploaded I tried again but without any further field notes uploading. I checked the geocache_visits.txt file in my Oregon 300 and saw that 6 logs did not upload. Now it makes me wonder if I have to check through ALL the logs to see if any others have been missed.

I just finished a test where I Logged five caches as found on my PN-60. The logs are displayed on the GPS and when connected to the PC I can see the logs when I open the Field Notes.txt file. I tried to upload these ("Ignore logs before 10/09/2011 11:08:00" box Unchecked) and got zero records. (having previously erased all old logs from the system).

Yeah tried that. got the previous 576 logs and still not the last 6 I had found.... could be a Garmin problem, or a windows issue, or gc.com , or........

576 logs!!!!!??????

Problem may be in the volume of logs you are actually uploading. Don't you erase them from the device when you upload them to GC? If not, why not?

I just tried a quick test with 1 entry in a file, and it uploaded.

I created another entry, and it uploaded fine.

I inserted a blank line between the two entries, and it uploaded fine.

I added a couple of space characters in that empty line, and it only uploaded the first entry. But it uploaded the first entry twice.

If it is still not working for you, check your field notes file. Specifically, check for empty lines, and anything in the comments section of the field notes that might give Groundspeak indigestion.

I just tried a quick test with 1 entry in a file, and it uploaded.

I created another entry, and it uploaded fine.

I inserted a blank line between the two entries, and it uploaded fine.

I added a couple of space characters in that empty line, and it only uploaded the first entry. But it uploaded the first entry twice.

If it is still not working for you, check your field notes file. Specifically, check for empty lines, and anything in the comments section of the field notes that might give Groundspeak indigestion.

I'll take a look but I am not sure what you mean by 'blank lines' between entries. I have not made any changes to the device since I last uploaded notes. I checked the existing logs on the PN-60 and some had blank spaces between them and some did not. There are no blank lines between any of the entries when I open the fieldnotes.txt file on my PC. There were no comments in any of the notes I tried to upload.

There are no blank lines between any of the entries when I open the fieldnotes.txt file on my PC. There were no comments in any of the notes I tried to upload.

That's not the problem then. Does it still not upload?

What if you copied the file over to your PC, deleted the old entries, and just upload the new ones?

Edit : ah, glad the mystery is solved :)

Edited by Chrysalides

GSAK is awesome. I created and saved two different GSAK GPX/LOC Export files. One is for the Nuvi and has a Waypoint Name tag of "%name". The other is for the PN-60 and its Waypoint name tag is "%code". As long as I remember to use the right file for the appropriate device I'm in business! <_<

Yeah tried that. got the previous 576 logs and still not the last 6 I had found.... could be a Garmin problem, or a windows issue, or gc.com , or........

576 logs!!!!!??????

Problem may be in the volume of logs you are actually uploading. Don't you erase them from the device when you upload them to GC? If not, why not?

No, I do not delete them.

One: there is no option to do so. I would have to go in and delete the contents manually.

Two: It's a tiny file regardless of that volume of info.

Three: I have read that any changes to the file in the GPS can potentially cause problems if in fact the text or file format is incorrect.

Four: GC.com has the ignore before thingy in place which has worked up until now so it's only a few caches each time

Five: never thought to do so.

576 logs!!!!!??????

No, I do not delete them.

One: there is no option to do so. I would have to go in and delete the contents manually.

huh? :blink: ...just delete the geocache visits txt file

I think BigBadger means there's no option to delete it on the unit itself.

However, if you're connecting it to your computer to upload it, it is easy to just delete it then. What I normally do is, after upload, I click on Browse again, select the field notes file, and press the DEL key to delete the file (unless I suspect something went wrong). Works on Windows, not sure about OS X.

I think BigBadger means there's no option to delete it on the unit itself.

However, if you're connecting it to your computer to upload it, it is easy to just delete it then. What I normally do is, after upload, I click on Browse again, select the field notes file, and press the DEL key to delete the file (unless I suspect something went wrong). Works on Windows, not sure about OS X.

well, you do need to connect the gps to the computer to upload the field notes, that's the best time to do it