Caching Stats website

Alphadog

I didn't know about cacherstats, until I read this thread, so went over to have a look. I'm not on there (yet) as my find for a qualifying cache didn't happen until after 13th Sept, but apart from the obvious thing of being able to find out where you rank among the geocachers of the world, what other "useful" things can it do? (when it gets updated, that is)

apart from the obvious thing of being able to find out where you rank among the geocachers of the world, what other "useful" things can it do? (when it gets updated, that is)

I use it to keep track of a friendly rivalry between me and one specific team of cachers. We have been leap frogging each other for months and it's fun to give or get a jab when we meet up at events or do a little friendly trash talking through the local forums or facebook. Of course, this is possible because we know each other and I wouldn't bug someone I didn't know.

Plus, being in Alberta, my community is a bit smaller than yours (UK?) so I know a lot of the other names too. I see how my other friends are doing as well.

I don't know if you went to the UK specific page or not, so here it is: http://www.cacherstats.com/United_Kingdom1.html. Maybe that will be of more interest to you.

I don't know if you went to the UK specific page or not, so here it is: http://www.cacherstats.com/United_Kingdom1.html. Maybe that will be of more interest to you.

Thanks Mr canoehead, that seems quite a fun thing to do, if you know or meet cachers in RL (which I have to say, I've been too much of a coward to do! lol). There are regular meetings for all cachers in my county - which I've read can be quite a buzz, but I've not had the courage to join them all yet.

Incidentally, I did go to the link you suggested, but it rendered a 404 page missing error.

Unfortunately, although they say in their FAQ that ALL geocachers are included, this isn't actually so - it's only geocachers who use this listing site. Agreed, most of those who use the other sites also use this one, but by no means all do.

Furthermore, the stats they produce are not the total number of geocaches found, but only those caches that are listed here. My stats are several hundreds short as a result.

I do understand the difficulty of cross-referencing the data from all the sites - I do it, and automate it to a considerable degree, but there are a number of exceptional cases that have to be handled manually. Also most of the other sites don't show the find count on every log - the information is available, but maybe less easily for a "page scraper".

Rgds, Andy

apart from the obvious thing of being able to find out where you rank among the geocachers of the world, what other "useful" things can it do? (when it gets updated, that is)

I use it to keep track of a friendly rivalry between me and one specific team of cachers.

It would be much easier to just bookmark their profile page, surely?

Woohoo! I'm on there - for the first time, it appears. (A small thing, but it's brought a smile to my face!) Strangely though, my stats as at 31st Oct appear to be 2 out, although when I click on the current stats button, they're correct as at right now...

Anyway, now I know about it, I can add it to the many lists of caching things I like to keep an eye on! (I'm not addicted, honest. I could give up at any time, of course... )

What is it with lists which draws me in to their listy webs of intrigue? Just discovered the Church Micro stats page the other day and am now obsessed with making the named list on that!

I will be glad when needed corrections are made to Cacherstats Ranking Status Bar. Evidently it is a problem with Javascript. This is a note on Cacherstats site "Javascript: This style currently cannot be used in a Groundspeak profile". I enjoyed displaying the statbar on my Geocaching webpage.

Best to all and good Geocaching.

rwsherlock

Just discovered the Church Micro stats page the other day and am now obsessed with making the named list on that!

OMG! Didn't know about that one. :)

WOW! Ddidn't realise that you could find over 1500 CM caches. :)

Good to see a list that DrS doesn't or will never top!! :laughing:

It's not about the numbers.

Just discovered the Church Micro stats page the other day and am now obsessed with making the named list on that!

OMG! Didn't know about that one. :)

WOW! Ddidn't realise that you could find over 1500 CM caches. :)

Good to see a list that DrS doesn't or will never top!! :laughing:

It's not about the numbers.

No, it is not JUST about the numbers. Geocaching is great and is only dependent on well hidden caches and determined cachers. Not to keep track to "lord" it over newbies, but to be a burr under my saddle to keep hunting. Many of my best geofriends are much higher finders then I, and some newbies with only a few caches also fall in that category. So - - - Yes, I do keep track of the numbers and will be glad when the CacherStats ranking bar is up again.