Things I often forget to do.

sonandk02

As a relative newbie, there are a few items that I seem to forget regularly prior to Geocaching. Do any of these sound familiar to you?

1. Setting waypoints! While we have yet to get lost, there have been a few times that we have spent more time than necessary trying to remember our way back.

2. Keeping my pen in my pocket instead of my backpack. This is only annoying once, as I remember to do so after the first time I remove my pack.

3. Spray my neck with mosquito repellant. I remember my arms (and legs if in shorts), but I often forget my neck area...I am quickly reminded!

4. Read logs and hints carefully. Only after I have searched and searched do I refer back to log notes and hints. Usually, I see something that would have helped me find the cache much sooner had I paid better attention the first time.

Are any of these familiar to you? What are some others?

have you been following me around because that sounds just like the list of things I often forget! I forget set a waypoint back to the car EVERY time. I never seem to read the logs and hints carefully enough so I'm trying to load them in my cell phone while in the woods. And my pen is Always in my backpack, but that's not too big a deal because I usually remove my pack when we reach the cache anyway, especially if we are trading swag for the kiddies

I always forget to take pictures!

same here! i have a lot of friends that have been into geocaching longer than i have and they are always asking to see pictures...but i don't have any :(

Just tell them you've been lying about having gone geocaching, and that's the reason you have no "proof". :P

Edited by knowltonGeo

As a relative newbie, there are a few items that I seem to forget regularly prior to Geocaching. Do any of these sound familiar to you?

1. Setting waypoints! While we have yet to get lost, there have been a few times that we have spent more time than necessary trying to remember our way back.

Yes, finding the car can be as hard as finding a cache sometimes. For added fun, at night. When you've been in a large park, entered from one direction and left from another. With the GPSr batteries going flat. And a police helicopter circling overhead (not because of me!!).

Are any of these familiar to you? What are some others?

Forgetting to check for new caches in an area right before I leave, in case any have been published between my planning my outing and actually going. Wastes time, petrol (gas) and is kinda frustrating to drive past a new cache not knowing it's there. (Forget the first to find; the competition where I live is ferocious, and I'm not very fussed, so I leave those that care to fight it out.)

Leaving all my torches in the car during the day, and then wanting to examine some dark hole.

Figuring the batteries in the GPSr are good enough for "one more cache" before I need to change them and leaving the spares in the car.

Leaving TBs in the car. (By now you'll figure I don't tend to _carry_ my caching bag while doing urban caching.)

I'm sure there are more.

I have a perfectly good hiking pole, and if I don't forget it, I purposely leave it since "it's just a short walk". So I arrive at a huge area of leaf-covered forest floor and wish I had some kind of poking stick. :rolleyes:

A common lament of mine as well.

I've probably stuck my hands in a few holes I shouldn't have. Just dumb luck I haven't found a snake yet.

That's why I keep tracking enabled on our GPSr, so I can follow the squiggly line back to the car.

don't have that problem at all, i just follow back the tracklog on the GPS :D

I have a perfectly good hiking pole, and if I don't forget it, I purposely leave it since "it's just a short walk". So I arrive at a huge area of leaf-covered forest floor and wish I had some kind of poking stick. :rolleyes:

This happened to me the other day and I saw two snakes! Thankfully, they saw me first and got away from me.