If you get FTF do you get some kind of souvenir/award on your profile?

CACAHUETES

Geocaching.com cannot determine who was FTF. The first log on the cache page is not necessarily the FTF. For example, on a few of my hides, once published, several people rushed to be the FTF. The first name on the logbook was not the first to log on geocaching.com.

this brings up a question i had. if i hide a cache and the FTF on the paper is not that same as logged on the site...then who do i proclaim FTF on my website? you know how most pages will say "congrats to _____ for FTF" or "________ was FTF" at the end of the description?

this brings up a question i had. if i hide a cache and the FTF on the paper is not that same as logged on the site...then who do i proclaim FTF on my website? you know how most pages will say "congrats to _____ for FTF" or "________ was FTF" at the end of the description?

Just to be clear, you don't have to congratulate anyone for their FTF. But if you do, then it is customary to congratulate the person who first signed the log, since that is the person who was first to find your cache (with the usual exceptions).

Geocaching.com cannot determine who was FTF. The first log on the cache page is not necessarily the FTF. For example, on a few of my hides, once published, several people rushed to be the FTF. The first name on the logbook was not the first to log on geocaching.com.

It is not required to proclaim FTF on your cache page. That is only if you would like to do so. If there is any doubt about who is FTF, I would just not add that little congrats on my cache page.

We have never added the FTF congrats on our cache pages due to the fact that it is just a small side game that some people play. I have had a couple FTFs and it seems a little silly to me to get excited over that fact.

Shirley/Granny~

PS: If you think it should be a part of Geocaching as in a souvenir or award on your profile - you could go to the feedback site and post your wish there. It will be seen there quicker.

You mean, I won't don't get an icon like this? ebe48ecf-5562-4ef5-bd67-ffe177a82eb0.jpg

:lol:

Hey, this is a very niiiiiice thread. No one jumping on the OP. :lol: Probably useless to him not being premium and not having access to Pocket Queries, but I know there's a badgen macro for GSAK that makes all sorts of badges for the profile. Do they have anything for FTF?

You mean, I won't don't get an icon like this? ebe48ecf-5562-4ef5-bd67-ffe177a82eb0.jpg

Hey, this is a very niiiiiice thread. No one jumping on the OP. :lol: Probably useless to him not being premium and not having access to Pocket Queries, but I know there's a badgen macro for GSAK that makes all sorts of badges for the profile. Do they have anything for FTF?

Yup, I use it on my profile page. That is because I am one of the overwhelmingly selfish players in our game :lol: .

It should always be about personal effort not bragging rights. You don't get anything for filling your grid, or for caching for one year straight or for an FTF. Well, nothing but satisfaction. I like to run for caches, so do many others. There is a weird stigma associated with FTFers, mostly because (as with most things) there are a few that make it seem really strange to everyone else.

Hi every1. As some of you might be able to see by looking at my profile :ph34r: or something or other I have ever had a FTF before, and I was curious as to if you got some kind of distinction on your profile of something.

'Huetes out.

My profile doesn't show any either, probably never will and I'm OK with it.

If you mean the first person to find the cache vs. the first person to log it online - the generally accepted definition is the first to find the cache. Not everyone uses an iPhone or has a device to log their finds in the field, so often the first to find is not the first to log.

However, be aware that disputes can happen. Sometime the FTF signs the log in the wrong place, leaving the FTF space open. The next person comes along an doesn't see the first signature, so they sign in the FTF slot and claim the FTF. Many cache owners avoid this by not posting FTF kudos on their cache pages.

As an iconoclast, I believe collecting souvenirs and other icons is an anathema, for it violates the first commandment of Jeremy "There's no prize, no leaderboard, and no trophy." Awarding of icons is just one more reason for people to get their knickers in a twist.

Yup, I use it on my profile page. That is because I am one of the overwhelmingly selfish players in our game :lol: .

It should always be about personal effort not bragging rights. You don't get anything for filling your grid, or for caching for one year straight or for an FTF. Well, nothing but satisfaction. I like to run for caches, so do many others. There is a weird stigma associated with FTFers, mostly because (as with most things) there are a few that make it seem really strange to everyone else.

That is, umm, one very long and colorful profile there, Fred. :lol:

I thought about the COG (Central Ontario Geocachers) awards that you can award to yourself, but I didn't think they had anything for FTF. Either way, I suppose, you have to have multiple FTF's, all on the honor system, before you can award yourself a COG badge or one in GSAK.

As an iconoclast, I believe collecting souvenirs and other icons is an anathema, for it violates the first commandment of Jeremy "There's no prize, no leaderboard, and no trophy." Awarding of icons is just one more reason for people to get their knickers in a twist.

:P

I guess Jeremy had a lapse the day he said, "Let there be souvenirs"? :huh:

Hi every1. As some of you might be able to see by looking at my profile :ph34r: or something or other I have ever had a FTF before, and I was curious as to if you got some kind of distinction on your profile of something.

'Huetes out.

You get first pick of the swag in the cache***, and sometimes a special prize from the CO.

You get to find the cache placed EXACTLY the way the CO intended, and not how someone else thought it should have been placed.

***Of course, since everyone 'trades up', this means it is actually more beneficial to be the LTF. :lol:

That is, umm, one very long and colorful profile there, Fred. :lol:

I thought about the COG (Central Ontario Geocachers) awards that you can award to yourself, but I didn't think they had anything for FTF. Either way, I suppose, you have to have multiple FTF's, all on the honor system, before you can award yourself a COG badge or one in GSAK.

Yeah sorry, I am a bit of profilephile. I love all the stats and badges and all the razzmatazz! The bad part is that I just love compiling all the little bits of data just to look at. I don't have stats that are good enough to brag about, but they look so pretty! :o

You mean there is no cache prize for FTF?! That's it! I'm not playing that game anymore!

Next thing you'll be telling me is that there is no trophy for finding every cache in a ten mile radius.

Today I went out for the FTF on two caches on the top of Hamner Butte. They were placed 4 weeks ago today. Now I'm back to a 13 mile radius with every cache found or owned by me. I got a nice piece of jewelry from one and put in a gold Presidential dollar.

You mean there is no cache prize for FTF?! That's it! I'm not playing that game anymore!

Next thing you'll be telling me is that there is no trophy for finding every cache in a ten mile radius.

Today I went out for the FTF on two caches on the top of Hamner Butte. They were placed 4 weeks ago today. Now I'm back to a 13 mile radius with every cache found or owned by me. I got a nice piece of jewelry from one and put in a gold Presidential dollar.

But what about the trophy? Did you get the dang trophy?!

If you mean the first person to find the cache vs. the first person to log it online - the generally accepted definition is the first to find the cache. Not everyone uses an iPhone or has a device to log their finds in the field, so often the first to find is not the first to log.

However, be aware that disputes can happen. Sometime the FTF signs the log in the wrong place, leaving the FTF space open. The next person comes along an doesn't see the first signature, so they sign in the FTF slot and claim the FTF. Many cache owners avoid this by not posting FTF kudos on their cache pages.

"Iconoclast", interesting word and meaning. If geocaching were a "true" religion your view would be fitting in terms of violating a commandment. I suppose some see the sport/hobby as a religion, but still the anology does not seem to fit. Also, a true iconclast would opposed to their own views/beliefs to become mainstream or have their views established in any way shape or form. That is giving one's view is promoting own's view". Being in self-turmoil is perhaps a goal any true iconclast. Interesting!

Ron Jeremy has commandments?

On Topic: Personally, I'd like to have an FTF just to say I have one, but I sure don't care about it enough to get alerts on my phone at 4:00 in the morning so I can hop up, run out, and snatch it up. But, my caches have a gift for the FTF'er. In the future I'd love to get some custom poker chips with a cool FTF message on them.

MULLY