Worst cache location so far

Karletto

So this cache is located in an amazing and more or less uninhabited valley but the owner dicided to put it literally just a stone throw away from a private house with three dogs, no fence and what not. Now, i know this place (probably better than cache owner) and in my opinion it's the worst location so far, in the valley and even in whole region.

Yesterday i decided to find the cache anyway and my fears were realized. Dogs started barking so much that even the house owner came to invastigate.

Should i contact cache owner? I also believe in my region there is no person who first checks the adequacy of the cache before publishing it.

So this cache is located in an amazing and more or less uninhabited valley but the owner dicided to put it literally just a stone throw away from a private house with three dogs, no fence and what not. Now, i know this place (probably better than cache owner) and in my opinion it's the worst location so far, in the valley and even in whole region.

Yesterday i decided to find the cache anyway and my fears were realized. Dogs started barking so much that even the house owner came to invastigate.

Is the cache on private property? Does the location require a permit or other permission from a land manager?

Should i contact cache owner?
I would post something about my encounter w/ the dogs in my log. This serves the dual purpose of informing the CO and cachers following you.

I also believe in my region there is no person who first checks the adequacy of the cache before publishing it.

What, exactly, do you want checked? Every cache listing is checked by a reviewer for obvious rules violations - on private property, known areas requiring a permit, other protected areas, proximity, etc. But no reviewer anywhere goes out and physically checks the cache location prior to publication.

Should i contact cache owner?

You can put something in your cache log about the dogs, no fence, and the curious neighbor, as tactfully as possible, and maybe suggest a parking spot. That gives future cachers information, so they can plan how to hunt that cache with the least amount of bothering the neighbors.

Yes, you can contact the cache owner, too, with your concerns. But the GC messaging system is a little tricky for many people, so consider that if you get no reply, it might simply be a communication issue.

Thanks. There is private property but i would have to check land register to be sure where excately is the cache located.

I mean, in 2 mile radius there's no building at all, except this one and he (cache owner) puts it only 20-30 meters from the house mentioned above. :blink: What the hell??

There's plenty of space and a lot of other attractions very close.

I noticed also that house owner simply closed the access to left bank (it's a river), because his dog attacked someone (info from locals) and because it's his property anyway.

Edited by Karletto

Yesterday i decided to find the cache anyway and my fears were realized.

That was your first problem. <_<

Hiders are free to put their caches in places that you may not approve of. Yes, sometimes it seems pretty thoughtless, but that is their right. Once you start hiding caches, would you want others to start making decisions about the appropriateness of your hides?

Reviewers never go take a physical look at the cache before publishing. The only grounds for denial of the cache in question might possibly be the first paragraph here:

Select an appropriate location and container. Think about how your container and the actions of geocachers seeking it will be perceived by the public. Although your geocache will be hidden with landowner permission, concerned passersby who are unaware of geocaching may view people searching the property as suspicious. For example, a geocacher will likely be wrongly suspected of being malicious if a cache is hidden in full view of an office or apartment windows.

Should i contact cache owner? I also believe in my region there is no person who first checks the adequacy of the cache before publishing it.

I feel your pain. It seems everytime I go out caching there's at least one cache that is in a large woodlot or forest with lots of potential secluded hiding spots but the CO decides to plant within feet of very visible backyards.

The only option is to comment about the situation in the logs and at least inform the next hiders. It's doubtful the CO will do anything about it but they'll at least know that some finders are uneasy with caches planted near houses.

Edited by Lone R

I have found Berkely Cal to have many of those. I just drive up and look at the homeowner outside and drive off. Then off to another and I could not believe it was actually inside the pet store??? It said the owners knew it was in there but I decided against going in to look like a dork signing a log inside there store? That towns caches have all been a problem for me. The one in a park I thought would be cool had a homeless guy sitting on the bench it was hidden at eating a sandwich. I try just to go to another town when working there to find my cache for the day.

-WarNinjas

Worst cache ever: GC2AX12

A close second, and the one which made me hate nanos: GC1E4RQ So bad it looks like I didn't

even log it.

What makes them bad?

The first one... what can I say. A nano in a layby on a dirty depressing road, made interesting only by the smell from the nearby abbatoir. There are so many interesting places to create caches locally, why anyone would choose this is beyond me. Oh, and did I mention it was a nano...

The second one, a cache the size of a sweet stuck on a railing at a busy street corner. It crushed my spirit.

Please Groundspeak, two things:

1) Bring back virtuals so we don't have to put up with nanos.

2) Create a rating system so that you can award points, independent of your cache log. That way it can be logged, and if you didn't rate the cache well you can do so without fear of your log being deleted by the CO.