Letterbox hybrids

FloridaFour

Just started letterboxing, really like making the stamps...lol. So another addiction for me. I would like to make some hybrid caches, and wonder if anyone here has made any, and any suggestions? I was thinking a two compartment box, completely separate the caching and letterboxing stuff, and attach the stamp to it's own pad, so no one tries to trade for it... Or maybe have the letterbox in a small locked box?

In my area, very wet, lotsa bugs.... I do not like the plastic bag/duct tape letterboxes at all... the ants bite right through them and nest in there. Gross....

Just started letterboxing, really like making the stamps...lol. So another addiction for me. I would like to make some hybrid caches, and wonder if anyone here has made any, and any suggestions? I was thinking a two compartment box, completely separate the caching and letterboxing stuff, and attach the stamp to it's own pad, so no one tries to trade for it... Or maybe have the letterbox in a small locked box?

In my area, very wet, lotsa bugs.... I do not like the plastic bag/duct tape letterboxes at all... the ants bite right through them and nest in there. Gross....

I have made one and found a few. I find that the only difference is the stamp. I wouldn't do much separating inside the cache except to ensure that the stamp doesn't get damaged. They are fun, especially if you can incorporate a clue/hint method for tracking down the cache. I hope it goes well!

If you like the carved stamps, you might want to make sure you write on the cache page that you would like it if they carved their own, but you'll still end up getting some craft store bargain bin stamps in your log book- just a heads up on that. I'm going to watch this thread, because I've fallen in love with letterbox hybrids & plan to put some out, myself, very soon.

I have only found letterboxes just on there own, not as hybrids. I have made one letterbox with a hand-carved stamp. I planted that before I had a GPS. I thought about turning it into a letterbox hybrid, but I planted it to add to the numbers of letterboxes in my province, so I chose not to. I will carve another stamp and the next cache might have one in it. All the letterboxes I have been to do not have ink pads in them. I chose not to put an ink pad in mine. The ink pad in my caching bag even dried out and I have even had to replace that one. Most people that will visit a letterbox will have a stamp pad, and if not they can pick one up at the craft shop for around a buck or two (they need to at least buy/carve a stamp or use their thumb print). Carving stamps is addicting once you start! I once brought a tear to an eye by giving them a hand-carved rose stamp, they said it was one of the most thoughtful gifts someone had ever given them...and it cost me hardly anything to make.

I have only found letterboxes just on there own, not as hybrids. I have made one letterbox with a hand-carved stamp. I planted that before I had a GPS. I thought about turning it into a letterbox hybrid, but I planted it to add to the numbers of letterboxes in my province, so I chose not to. I will carve another stamp and the next cache might have one in it. All the letterboxes I have been to do not have ink pads in them. I chose not to put an ink pad in mine. The ink pad in my caching bag even dried out and I have even had to replace that one. Most people that will visit a letterbox will have a stamp pad, and if not they can pick one up at the craft shop for around a buck or two (they need to at least buy/carve a stamp or use their thumb print). Carving stamps is addicting once you start! I once brought a tear to an eye by giving them a hand-carved rose stamp, they said it was one of the most thoughtful gifts someone had ever given them...and it cost me hardly anything to make.

That's awesome :)

Suggestions:

Use an ammo can for the cache if at all possible. A big lock and lock is a second choice, but a large one will cost you, and won't hold up nearly as well. The seal fails once it starts to mildew, and the tabs break off.

House the stamp in a cheap Gladware type container inside the ammo can, label the heck out of that container. Don't expect many geocachers will notice it, or that they will have a stamp for your log.

The cache DOES NOT NEED an ink pad! Letterboxers carry their own ink. This is especially true in Florida, where by late summer you'll have a mess of ink if it's left in the cache container, even if it's housed in its own gladware. (some geocachers may complain about no ink, not because they were planning to stamp the log, but because they want to take an impression of the stamp.)

To be published on Geocaching.com, your letterbox hybrid hunt must involve gps use to get a distinct set of coords necessary to finding the box (ie, not parking coords, as that's a set of coords that could be +- hundreds of feet).

Edited by Isonzo Karst

Wow, some really great advice in this thread. It's so nice to see that letterbox hybrids are catching on and people are getting the importance of the stamp.

I've been planting hybrids with handcarved stamps since 2002 with very good results. I absolutely agree that a good water tight container is important to protect the logbook (not so much the stamp - rubber/vinyl can handle water without damage - although they can get slimey and moldy if left wet for long periods of time).

Don't bother with an inkpad, anyone who collects stamp images will carry their own markers/pads. If you want, put a Bring Your Own Ink note in your cache write-up. You could leave a few stamped up pieces of cardstock for new cachers who might like to start collecting stamps.

And the advice about labelling your stamp is important. Take a fine point sharpie marker and write "Do not trade. Leave in box." on the back of the stamp. I also put a little note in a baggie for added security:

box-note-do-not-trade-large250px.gif?w=500

The only time a cacher took one of my stamps is when I didn't label the stamp and didn't put a note in the box. BTW he brought it back to me when I contacted him, so I can say I've never lost a stamp to a swag trade in 9 years of planting hybrids. :)

Edited by Lone R

Wow, some really great advice in this thread. It's so nice to see that letterbox hybrids are catching on and people are getting the importance of the stamp.

I've been planting hybrids with handcarved stamps since 2002 with very good results. I absolutely agree that a good water tight container is important to protect the logbook (not so much the stamp - rubber/vinyl can handle water without damage - although they can get slimey and moldy if left wet for long periods of time).

Don't bother with an inkpad, anyone who collects stamp images will carry their own markers/pads. If you want, put a Bring Your Own Ink note in your cache write-up. You could leave a few stamped up pieces of cardstock for new cachers who might like to start collecting stamps.

And the advice about labelling your stamp is important. Take a fine point sharpie marker and write "Do not trade. Leave in box." on the back of the stamp. I also put a little note in a baggie for added security:

box-note-do-not-trade-large250px.gif?w=500

The only time a cacher took one of my stamps is when I didn't label the stamp and didn't put a note in the box. BTW he brought it back to me when I contacted him, so I can say I've never lost a stamp to a swag trade in 9 years of planting hybrids. :)

Wow... I appreciate all the great feedback. The carving of the stamp and seeing some of the really artistic ones is what interests me, as well as some of the ones with fun clues and trails to follow.

Lone R, someone mentioned you on the letterboxing site and I tried to look you up... Now I realise I've seen your trailname on Geocaching.

I'm getting excited about it... I have a plan to use photos I took of scenes at the park I like, and try to draw those or parts of them as my stamps. No print outs for me, just original work.

I like the idea of leaving a stamped card, maybe watercolored? As a FTF/collector's prize, for both the Geocachers and letterboxers.... Thanks.

I'm getting excited about it... I have a plan to use photos I took of scenes at the park I like, and try to draw those or parts of them as my stamps. No print outs for me, just original work.

Original artwork by the CO, now that's taking it up a notch. Very one-of-a-kind. B)

I havent seen any hybrids near me sadly. Though I do remember stumbling upon one in a park one day, again not near me. lol. I should probably check out the letterboxing site though.

I'd love to see more hybrids around here. Just kinda got into the whole stamp carving thing. Fun stuff.

Get funky, thats a neat idea.

What do you all with larger stamps carve them out of?

• A favorite of many letterboxers is the pink stuff by Speedball, called Speedy Carve. Some Michaels stores carry Speedy Carve. ( Don't by Speedball's Speedy Cut - awful crumbly stuff).
  • I use Nasco Safety Kut - comes in various sizes and it's a good price. But some carvers don't like it - they feel it doesn't carve smoothly.
  • Many letterboxers love Firm Kut by Stampeaz. I find it to be hard to push through. I've seen very intricate stamps with fine lines carved out of Firm Kut.
  • For smaller stamps you can use vinyl erasers which you can get at the dollar store. I've had good results with the pink Big Mistakes erasers and they're a good size (about 2"x6").
    6256053516_f9d37d5016_o.gif

Good idea because cachers have been known to trade out stamps thinking they are trade items. A two compartment box might help cut down on that.

To be published on Geocaching.com, your letterbox hybrid hunt must involve gps use to get a distinct set of coords necessary to finding the box (ie, not parking coords, as that's a set of coords that could be +- hundreds of feet).

That's not quite accurate. gps coordinates must be necessary for some part of the hunt, but that might just be a spot where you begin using letterboxing type clues. It COULD be parking coordinates, if there is a letterboxing clue from that point.

I have seen three different types of caches published on GC.com with the "letterbox hybrid" icon:

1) Caches that are just regular geocaches but have a stamp in the container.

2) One container, but published on GC.com with coordinates and on a letterboxing website with clues.

3) Coordinates get you to a particular spot and then you need to use letterboxing type clues.

("Bear on the Loose" in Central Park is a great example of this last type)

What do you all with larger stamps carve them out of?

• A favorite of many letterboxers is the pink stuff by Speedball, called Speedy Carve. Some Michaels stores carry Speedy Carve. ( Don't by Speedball's Speedy Cut - awful crumbly stuff).
  • I use Nasco Safety Kut - comes in various sizes and it's a good price. But some carvers don't like it - they feel it doesn't carve smoothly.
  • Many letterboxers love Firm Kut by Stampeaz. I find it to be hard to push through. I've seen very intricate stamps with fine lines carved out of Firm Kut.
  • For smaller stamps you can use vinyl erasers which you can get at the dollar store. I've had good results with the pink Big Mistakes erasers and they're a good size (about 2"x6").
    6256053516_f9d37d5016_o.gif

I was looking for that big eraser just yesterday but didnt see it in the stores i went to haha. I figure I'll start with the eraser method and see how i like it first before getting some regular stamp carving material.THanks for this list!

That's not quite accurate. gps coordinates must be necessary for some part of the hunt, but that might just be a spot where you begin using letterboxing type clues. It COULD be parking coordinates, if there is a letterboxing clue from that point.

Well no, though we may be in agreement here, but not getting the language right.

Not in my queue anyway (this is important to the OP, as their LBH will likely be read and published by my admin account). If the only coords in the cache listing describe an area hundreds of feet across (ie, a parking lot), that's not accurate coordinates...demonstrating GPS use.

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=307#technical

There must be a singular location, accurately described by coordinates, necessary to finding the cache. This is true for all geocaches, not just LBH. It's just that LBH are most commonly submitted without any real gps use (and the occasional Mystery with parking coords + look around here).

LBH with "Coords are for the parking at Name of Park" - now find and walk on Name of Trail to Big Fork, go right etc" this is not a publishable listing. The coords may be accurate, but they're not even close to being the only coords that could be generated for the parking. If the parking is a single location, a one car spot, that might be okay.

So as long as the first coords are an exact starting point, that would be allowed is what I am interpreting. Not sure what I have planned yet, but good to know in advance.

I did do a multi cache once that started at one point and then you followed clues.... It was fun ,gave it a fave point, by the way.

I'm glad IK clarified that for me. I was under the (mistaken) impression that the coords for a letterbox hybrid had to be the actual location of the cache. Glad to see I can pick a precise spot, nab coords for that, and give clues from there to the final. As for containers, if it's gonna be out in the wilds, the only thing I can recommend is an ammo can. They are hard to beat for durability and longevity. Adding a baby Lock & Lock to the ammo can, to store the stamp in also sounds like a winner.

Now y'all got me thinking...

Maybe I could do a Wherigo hybrid?

Use a Wherigo cartridge to get you to a specific point, then have it display clues to the final? :unsure:

I'm glad IK clarified that for me. I was under the (mistaken) impression that the coords for a letterbox hybrid had to be the actual location of the cache. Glad to see I can pick a precise spot, nab coords for that, and give clues from there to the final. As for containers, if it's gonna be out in the wilds, the only thing I can recommend is an ammo can. They are hard to beat for durability and longevity. Adding a baby Lock & Lock to the ammo can, to store the stamp in also sounds like a winner.

Now y'all got me thinking...

Maybe I could do a Wherigo hybrid?

Use a Wherigo cartridge to get you to a specific point, then have it display clues to the final? :unsure:

If a cache uses a Wherigo cartridge, it's a Wherigo cache, regardless of how the cartridge works. There is a Wherigo cache that as I understand it is basically a hot and cold game, it doesn't give you coordinates at all. It just says warmer, colder, and hot when within 5m of the cache.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=f19bb5e0-9725-49bb-82dd-256c0b0357f2

So as long as the first coords are an exact starting point, that would be allowed is what I am interpreting. Not sure what I have planned yet, but good to know in advance.

I did do a multi cache once that started at one point and then you followed clues.... It was fun ,gave it a fave point, by the way.

That is correct. For instance the coords can lead to a statue where somone can obtain clues from it or shoot a bearing from it.

One of the best ways to ensure you are complying with the GPS use requirement is to hide a container at the posted coords that contains additional instructions about how to find the cache.

Edited by briansnat

Well...I've been working on two letterbox hybrids for two different parks.... One will be part of a series of 4 letterboxes. The hybrid is in a large lock n lock with two smaller containers inside, one for geocache, one for letterbox.... Labelled and with brief explanations.

The other hybrid will not be part of a series. I already have three geoaches in that park, spread out over a mile or so, so enough work already. Plus that park does controlled burns...hoping I picked a good spot...under a burnt up stump, that won't get burned again too soon... Its a medium lock n lock, and the logbook and stamp will be tied or chained together and in a ziplock. The logbook will be used for both stamping and caching, to save space... I will label the stamp do not remove, part of letterbox... And so...let's see how it goes!

Hopefully all my labelling will help, and a clear description at top of cache page.... With links to Atlasquest, will help preserve the stamp, as well as bring more people to learn about letterboxing. Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

I made my letterbox hybrid. I used a large lock n lock like the one above, with two smaller lnls inside, each with its own log book. The geocachers really like it so far. The only two complaints I've had were from letterboxers, because I was sneaky and one of the letterboxes in my series has a decoy box and they'd never seen one.... I say GREAT! Now the geocachers know a little more about letterboxing, and the letterboxers will learn a bit about how geocachers have fun.... LOL.

I made my letterbox hybrid. I used a large lock n lock like the one above, with two smaller lnls inside, each with its own log book. The geocachers really like it so far. The only two complaints I've had were from letterboxers, because I was sneaky and one of the letterboxes in my series has a decoy box and they'd never seen one.... I say GREAT! Now the geocachers know a little more about letterboxing, and the letterboxers will learn a bit about how geocachers have fun.... LOL.

Great job FloridaFour. You got some great comments from both geocachers and letterboxers. vk_smiley_thumbs_up.gif

Thanks Noel R.

I was reading all the latest discussion on Atlasquest about geocachers messing with letterboxes and was wondering if we should have a permanent thread on geocaching forums for people to discuss letterboxing, hybrids, etc. This thread was extremely helpful for me as a cacher, to figure out the best way to do a hybrid. I am also learning the nuances of letterboxing vs geocaching. Kinda funny to me in some ways... Entertaining. Funny that of all the cachers that have logged my geocaches, my first two letterboxers to hunt my letterboxes had the harshest criticism, and I worked my butt off on those boxes. Well, I am determined to be one of the best carvers in my area... I am getting better at it.... So they will have to get used to my clue style or they will be missing out.