Android v2.1.1 Release Notes

Previous version release notes

A new version of Geocaching for Android has been released to the Android Market, including the following updates:

• Erratic compass behavior fixed
  • Added ability to move app to SD Card
  • Added Last Found to cache details
  • Improved unchecked box in log composition page
  • Added autocomplete/autocorrect to description during log composition
  • Updating old caches in saved lists now updates recent logs as well
  • App will work on Android 1.5 now

Problems or ideas? Have your say on User Voice!

Thanks for adding the ability to move the app to the SD card! Been looking forward to that one.

I have not had the occasion to try out the compass tweaks but I'm looking forward to trying it out.

A live map and being able to quickly add a waypoint from the main menu and I'll be set.

Thanks for all the hard work!

Hello.

Thanks for the Update.

Now the App is working really fine. No more problems with the compass.

I tried the app extensivly on sunday, and i was pretty impressed.

Now it's really THE app to use ;)

But one things should be added:

Why can't i drop trackables directly by the "post a log" page, like i can do on the webpage?

This would be very comfortable.

Thanks for the hard work on the Android Version.

Hello.

Thanks for the Update.

Now the App is working really fine.

I'm finding the latest 'very' unstable compared with the previous 2.x versions. Many many crashes on my Verizon Fascinate (Samsung Galaxy S). Crashes seem to be centered around the app seeming to lock up and me hitting the back or menu buttons to try again or use a different feature. Fortunately it always restarts thus far except for one time where it actually locked up the phone so badly I had to yank the battery to reset things.

Not a bug report or anything, but can I please ask how other users deal with your PQs?

The area that I "spontaneously" cache in, has a lot of geocaches - approximately 2300. I would love to have access to all of them at the same time. I have tried splitting the area into a bunch of geographical zones, but with the circular PQ zones, I regularly find that I miss caches.

Most geocachers that I talk to, build PQs based on dates. The first 950 published in the state in one PQ, the next 950 in a second PQ, etc. With that method, you don't miss caches. Of course, this doesn't work with the Android app at all.

I have posted a topic to the user vote forum about enabling multiple PQs at the same time, but it isn't getting a lot of votes. So, how does everyone deal with caching in areas larger than one PQ? So far, my solution is to use GeoHunter, but I really want to be able to use the official app.

I'm going to second the "very unstable" comment. I have an HTC Desire CDMA with Android 2.2 and this new version crashes all the time. Searching for nearby caches - crash. Trying to download details on a cache - crash. It's become borderline unusable. I deleted the existing data and app and redownloaded everything but that didn't help.

Hmmmm.

Maybe the problem is Android 2.2.

I'm using 2.1, because there is no update for my SE Xperia X8 phone.

It works rock solid here. No crashes at all. Really good and fast.

I can't tell anything about PQs. I never used that feature.

When i'm in an area for caching, i simply search for nearby caches

and then i use the "save to offline list" feature. I don't see why i

should use the PQs, as long as i'm online.....

best regards

hotte76

The compass problem seemed to get resolved a bit with the last fix, but it still isn't working right. The feet just don't change on it no matter how close we get to gz, and then will suddenly jump up or down. Not in miles, at least, but definitely in feet. We use a EVO 4G and using Sprint service. The compass worked great before the last update, then was really bad, and now is just moderately bad. We simply can't rely on it to cache, so we don't use it any longer. The app is totally worthless without being able to use the compass, which used to work almost as well as our Garmin 60csx. Please fix this!

Hello,

first the reason i write in here. The feedback-Forum does not longer exist. So this is the only way do give Feedback to the Anroid programm.

I can´t really understand the Discussion about the compass. I don´t really use it, because the most time i use the map mode.

Whats good about the Programm.

It is getting better and better after every update and working very stable today, so i use it with increased regularity. And for mit its on the way to be my standard geocaching app on my Phone. (I use a Xepria X10). So some points that work very good.A really good feature of the Programm is the The offline List functionality and the fast an easy overview about the cache Details.

What is elementary missing in the Programm

Saving Waypoint on multicache

- on Multicache it is importatnt to save the entered Waypoints (all Waypoints i entered in map Mode were lost after i close the Programm).

a good way to solve this would be an own Point in the Cache details right after Description, Recent logs, etc.

- more Mapmodes then Street and Satellite, best solution - a Openstreet Map that can be saved on the Phone and used offline

- some form of a Livemap to search a geocache

Points not elementary missing but nice to have

- the possibilty to set the the geocache on the Watchlist

- send the date of an eventcache to the android calendar

- direct access to the geocaching.com profile

- possibilty to make a Where i go directly in the app

I hope that this point will be solved in future updates to make the geocaching app for android better.

if there is a better way to send my feedback to the right person, please let me know.

Edited by the-ROB

Using v2.1.1 in the field more, I'm finding there are still major problems with how the app treats coords from the GPS versus a cell tower. The app seems to frequently "forget" coords from the GPS and default back to the cell tower. For example, I'll search for nearby caches, view a cache in detail, then back out. My search results will now be calculated from the distance away from the cell tower's coords, not my actual GPS coords. What's worse, I generally have to back all the way out to main screen and then search again so I get distances based on my actual location.

I'll run into similar problems where I'm viewing nearby caches then go to view a particular cache in detail. Much of the time, the distance to the cache will be based on the cell tower not my actual coords.

There needs to be a better way of doing this. I'm not sure how Android's GPS API works, but can't the app cache GPS coords? If the fix is fairly recent, it's almost undoubtedly better to go back to that rather than defaulting to the cell tower's coords all the time.

The LiveMap doesn't work on my Thunderbolt Android through the internet. PLEASE bring a fix for the map to display correctly on the smartphone. It has come up a couple of times, but with the stupid "new map features" window that pops up you cannot get out of the window to bring up the map, and when it doesn't show up, the map doesn't always load.

The LiveMap doesn't work on my Thunderbolt Android through the internet. PLEASE bring a fix for the map to display correctly on the smartphone. It has come up a couple of times, but with the stupid "new map features" window that pops up you cannot get out of the window to bring up the map, and when it doesn't show up, the map doesn't always load.

Please define what you are calling the "live map". If it is what I call a "live map", meaning as you drive along it automatically updates the map with nearby caches, the Android Geocaching app does not (yet?) have that.