Permission for caches

summerrayne

Of course you should always ask permission. After all geocaching is an activity that does lots damage. Little boxes of stuff left all over the world and hidden from view. If three or four people try the find in a year, a big trail could be left and we wouldn't want that.

One must remember it's ok to leave fast food bags and wrapper all over the place. And it's very important to make sure you leave a fee beer cans laying around to decorate the landscape. An occasoinal wrecked car is ok too. But geocaches, hidden from view, are really bad things to be left around. So one must always ask permission.

Byron

OK OK,

Now why I don't ask nor never will ask for permission to place a cache.

Asking permission is implying that there is, or could be something wrong, illeagle, or imoral, etc. with geocaching. Since I am a firm believer that geocaching is a good family activity, like camping, hiking, etc., I can see no reason I should have to ask permission any more than I need to ask permission to take a hiking or backpacking trip. I don't have to ask permission to take a picnic lunch to the park or to play a game of catch, or, or... So why do I need to ask permission to hide a small box that's out of sight. Why??? Well, I think it's because the geocaching community seems to think we should ask. The only thing I can see is that it is possible to know without seeing that somebody hid a box. I could go hide a million boxes without the internet and geocaching.com and the "land managers", would never know. I think we are creating that which we fear by this "permission" thing.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Byron

quote:
Originally posted by Dawn&Richard:

quote:
Asking permission is implying that there is, or could be something wrong, illeagle, or imoral, etc.

Do you want a job? Since I know you will never ask for a raise, we could get along GREAT!!!

Be careful...sounds like they would just add money to their check without telling you! icon_wink.gif

homer.gif

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand."

quote:
Originally posted by Byron & Anne:

Asking permission is implying that there is, or could be something wrong, illeagle, or imoral, etc. with geocaching. Since I am a firm believer that geocaching is a good family activity, like camping, hiking, etc., I can see no reason I should have to ask permission any more than I need to ask permission to take a hiking or backpacking trip. I don't have to ask permission to take a picnic lunch to the park or to play a game of catch, or, or... So why do I need to ask permission to hide a small box that's out of sight. Why??? Well, I think it's because the geocaching community seems to think we should ask. The only thing I can see is that it is possible to know without seeing that somebody hid a box. I could go hide a million boxes without the internet and geocaching.com and the "land managers", would never know. I think we are creating that which we fear by this "permission" thing.

I agree in a way. To me asking 'permission' is not so much a "yes or no?" question, but a "is this a good spot?" thing. And it really boils its taken as the former and the answer is no.

But, I may not realize that area is closed every weekend in October due to whatever, or that they burn the brush there every spring and my cache my get chared, or that those little hills to the north are actually burial mounds that they don't tell anyone about and want me to stay the hell away from them.

waypoint_link.gif22008_1700.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg

quote:
sking permission is implying that there is, or could be something wrong, illeagle, or imoral, etc. with geocaching. Since I am a firm believer that geocaching is a good family activity, like camping, hiking, etc., I can see no reason I should have to ask permission any more than I need to ask permission to take a hiking or backpacking trip. I don't have to ask permission to take a picnic lunch to the park or to play a game of catch, or, or... So why do I need to ask permission to hide a small box that's out of sight. Why??? Well, I think it's because the geocaching community seems to think we should ask. The only thing I can see is that it is possible to know without seeing that somebody hid a box. I could go hide a million boxes without the internet and geocaching.com and the "land managers", would never know. I think we are creating that which we fear by this "permission" thing.

Byron & Anne, please go away. You're making too much sense. The overload may cause some people here to explode (of course in places that have published geocaching policies, I agree that they should be followed).

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

quote:
Originally posted by Byron & Anne:

OK OK,

Now why I don't ask nor never will ask for permission to place a cache.

Asking permission is implying that there is, or could be something wrong, illeagle, or imoral, etc.

And so on.

Byron - you are like a breath of fresh air! This is absolutely the point. There seems to be an obsession these days with asking somebody - anybody, permission before doing anything. There is a similar obsession with many people setting themselves up to grant such permission.

What we need is common sense and taking responsibility for ones own actions.

When I'm out geocaching and I see the mounds of rubbish, dumped cars and household appliances, rusting farm machinery, fertiliser bags etc. I realise just how little impact geocaching really has.

Thank you for your words of wisdom.

Enthusiastic user of GeocacheUK - Information, not control.

It is better to regret something you did, rather than to regret something you didn't do.

quote:
Originally posted by Ajetpilot:

As a wise, old gent once told me, “It is easier to ask forgiveness than it is to ask permission.” Also, “If you’re not going to like the answer, don’t ask the question.” And, more recently, “Just do it!”

Hmm... Does this wise old gent live near us, ajetpilot?

[This message was edited by Bull Moose on June 29, 2003 at 07:52 AM.]

Ha! No, actually I just met (in person) the "wise , old gent", you are probably refering to, yesterday. Until then, I had just met him by email. I know that he asked, and received, permission for at least one of his caches. He is just a SUPER gent!

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth,

And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings...