Barely finding cache sites in my area.

ConfuzdMuch

I'm just wondering if there are some people around me that I can do caching with. I just found out about it the other day, and have found a few locations I want to check out and try and find. I don't have a GPS system and my phone is extremely basic so the application isn't an option either. The 3 or 4 caches in my area shouldn't be too hard without one I suppose. But I'm terribly limited with walking (only one cache I can see is under 1 mile from my house) or busing there... I don't even own a bike.

Honestly, I don't really know what I really want. I have a serious aversion against meeting people from the internet, even in extremely public places. But I would love to cache with other people and no one I know would be interested in this activity.

I guess I wouldn't be so against meeting up with someone in a public place (mall, restaurant, other business) and sticking to extremely public cache sites... And that way I can check out some GPS units before I go buy one while getting used to best ways to find caches.

mpilchfamily beat me to the "find a local group" idea, which is a pretty good way to start. Geocaching draws folks from many walks of life together because of the common interest in the sport and you will almost always find a few cachers at an event that you can be comfortable with and who will be willing to help you get started.

Here's another page that lists upcoming events in North Carolina as well as the most recently published cache listings.

http://www.geocaching.com/local/default.aspx?state_id=34

If you are interested in geocoins at all, hundreds of cachers will be attending the Geocoinfest U.S. 2011 event near you on Saturday, October 15. See the event listing here:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=f7846a9a-9035-4351-90bf-46c8ca7daca4

We're always happy to have some new cachers to find our caches, and when ready, will hide some for us to find.

Hope this helps.

-Brad

While that *was* helpful... my issue is I don't have a car and I can't just talk one of my friends or family into road-tripping across North Carolina. There's an event listed for Charlotte that I *MAY* be able to talk one of my friends into going because they love exploring Charlotte. But the one who definitely actually would, her car is totaled.

I found my first 158 caches by bus and foot. Basically, I just found an area with a bunch of caches, bussed to as centrally as I could, then hiked to all the caches. However, I did have a GPSr which made things a bit easier. See if you can pick up a cheap used one in the GPS garage sale section of the forums, or on craigslist or something.

Thanks :) I'm checking out the garage sale forum now. Trying not to rip anyone off, while getting a super cheap started for myself. Probably try and get my room-mates kids interested in it if I can, then I could talk her into driving us around *for them* lol. Does anyone know if the girl scouts has a GeoCaching badge, like Boy Scouts does? If so, her daughter is a girl scout. Maybe I'll have them ask the troupe leader, if no one here knows.

LOL...just happened upon this post... In geocaching topics

The GS has had a fun patch for caching for some time, but with the new book has replaced the old Orienteering badge with a Geocaching one (available to Juniors or 4th grade & up). As a novice cacher myself, I think this is both very cool and potentially very chaotic.

I haven't had an opportunity to fully read through the badge specifics (still waiting on my book) but was hoping someone here had.

Any cacher GS leaders out there? did you dare take a whole troop on a cache hike? what about planting practice caches? I'd love some feedback before I introduce the topic to my girls.

Also, I guess this is just Fair Warning for those not in the Scouting loop, there may be hordes of Girl Scouts descending on your caches! If you have any near churches or schools, expect more activity.

If you don't have a gps or a friend with a phone that has the app, try Letterboxing to get you started... no gps needed. All you need is a rubber stamp, you can buy for a dollar or make from an eraser... similar interest to geocaching. But I bet you can get a used GPS for under $100.