Who's doing the muggling?

Here's a question for those who have had caches stolen:

Is there a particular demographic that you suspect was responsible for the muggling?

For 2 of my caches that were stolen, I'm 99% sure it was children. For the 3rd one, I suspect it was teens.

1st cache: Showed my daughter's friend the cache, she told all her friends at school, they all went to look, one boy took off with it

2nd cache: Performing maintenance on a cache, stopped by muggles who wondered what I was doing, I explained 'the game', they said they knew some teens that would be interested, shortly after, cache gone

3rd cache: Cacher was stopped by children while looking for cache, explained the 'game' to them, 2 days later cache gone

Edited by The_Incredibles_

Here's a question for those who have had caches stolen:

Is there a particular demographic that you suspect was responsible for the muggling?

For 2 of my caches that were stolen, I'm 99% sure it was children. For the 3rd one, I suspect it was teens.

1st cache: Showed my daughter's friend the cache, she told all her friends at school, they all went to look, one boy took off with it

2nd cache: Performing maintenance on a cache, stopped by muggles who wondered what I was doing, I explained 'the game', they said they knew some teens that would be interested, shortly after, cache gone

3rd cache: Cacher was stopped by children while looking for cache, explained the 'game' to them, 2 days later cache gone

10-14 year old kids for fun[knock these out by making future caches PMO]

tree hugger adult types[$10 to grab the pmo coords in their areas[no defense]

trackable thieves[they steal the whole cache to steal a coin/TB]

It is people who don't understand, or even know what geocaching is all about, that steal caches. The youngsters/young adults stumble across them, or see cachers who aren't as stealthy as they would like to think they are. Spur of the moment, no evil meant. The stealers of caches that really tick me off are those that have the gall to sign up and pay for premium membership and plan to steal caches. These are usually adults on some sort of crusade, trying to impose their opinion on others. And they are the minority .........

However a cache disappears still leaves the CO with a feeling of frustration. We are very careful if muggles are around, sometimes won't search....we don't show the cache, even if we have seen it. We will explain geocaching though.

The stealers of caches that really tick me off are those that have the gall to sign up and pay for premium membership and plan to steal caches. These are usually adults on some sort of crusade, trying to impose their opinion on others.

A similar (I hope small) group is the disillusioned veteran cacher “getting back at people” by taking it out on random TBs, coins, and caches. If you don't know who they are, you will. Right now I'm seeing some pretty deliberately disgusting activities by other “Geocachers” that do directly and indirectly affect Geocaching and my game, caches, and Travelers. Defended by yet others as “that's how they play, it doesn't affect you at all!”, which is also pretty disgusting (such apathy is the heart of problem). All I can say is, try to abide, rationalize, come to your happy place, anything except becoming one of those guys. And no messy Geocides over it. But do what you can to mitigate their damage.

Edited by kunarion

It's probably all the teens who are tired of being stereotyped and accused of muggling caches all the time.

I understand your feelings, being a teen yourself, but really... do you actually believe that most caches are muggled by adults?

you'd be amazed at the number of adults with tupperware fetishes.

It's probably all the teens who are tired of being stereotyped and accused of muggling caches all the time.

I understand your feelings, being a teen yourself, but really... do you actually believe that most caches are muggled by adults?

Tupperware, lock n lock, those containers cost $$!!

There is a 12-step group for that. Shoot me a PM and I'll send you the meeting schedule.

We have an in-ground pool in our back yard. When we bought the house with said pool, it wasn't a feature we were looking for, it just happened to come with the house we fell in love with. There wasn't enough fence to keep my then-very-young children safely out so we talked to our insurance agent about what would be best. As well as fencing information he told me to learn where the kids in the neighborhood were. Ten to fourteen year old boys are the number one victims of home pool drowning accidents, and most commonly not their own pool but a friends. Why? just old enough to know how to swim, old enough to go wandering their own neighborhood solo, old enough to have a large group of friends, very curious about the world; but also young enough to have no first aid knowledge, not enough common sense, very easily swayed by peer pressure and not enough knowledge to fix what they broke by accident (so they hide the broken item- often in the trash).

If you want your cache muggle proof, find a ten year old to test it for you.