How's this description?

mullyman

My latest placement has this as it's description.

This cache is hidden near the steps of an ancient wall

Kunozan is the original burial place of the first Shogun of the Tokugawa Shogunate, Tokugawa Ieyasu, and is thus the oldest of the Tosho-gu shrines in the country. You must take a hanging cable car over a large gorge to get to the mountain where the cache is located. The fee for the rope-way is 1,000 yen for a round trip. There are 2 access roads to the cable car terminal. If you are adventurous you could go around to the ocean side and climb the steps to where the cache is. There are 1,156 steps to climb if you choose that route. While there, there is the main shrine at the top of the mountain, a museum, gift shops, and viewing areas that are just breathtaking. I believe there is a 500 yen charge to enter the main temple, but, you do not have to go into the main temple area to find the cache.

The cache is a small Tupperware bowl which contains a log book and something for exchange, if you wish. Please bring a pen or pencil to sign the log book.

Just thought I'd show you guys a description from a cache in Japan. Some will blow past this without a second thought and some may find it interesting. Enjoy.

MULLY

BTW, I plan to place all of my caches in places like this. If you're ever in Japan.....

Edited by mullyman

1,156 steps? I'm paying the 1,000 yen!

Everything else looks good and future seekers will be able to come prepared. Any images you could add to the page? Images always enrich a cache page.

I uploaded a photo of the steps where the cache is hidden.....it's near the steps actually. The photo doesn't really give anything away except that you're in the right area. Do you advise putting up random shots of the temples etc...? I wasn't sure if that was cool or not.

Like I said above, I want all of my future caches to be thought out as well as this one is. Anyone that goes after this is going to be rewarded with a fantastic time visiting one helluva place. I also hope that my descriptions can have enough flair that it makes people want to visit the place in question.

BTW, that Crew T Robot name, is that your handle? Both of my caches have been approved by Crow T Robot. Just wondering if that is you or if that is a system moniker that reviewers post under.

If you are the reviewer that did this cache, thanks for the quick response. I enabled it and it was published in less than a day. Very cool. I can't wait until someone goes after it.

MULLY

Wow! Either a cable car or 1156 steps to get there huh? So thats what a 1.5 terrain? :P

HA!! Actually, yeah, it's a 1.5 terrain. I figured 99.9% of the people going after this one are going to be coming by car, parking, and taking the rope-way across the gorge. I would definitely rate those steps as a terrain 10 though if I had the option. 1,156 steps, and let's not forget that they are hand laid steps that are hundreds of years old and have been through lots and lots of earthquakes. I climbed them once, by misrepresentation. My brother in-law, ex BIL actually, took me there and said "let's take the steps." I was like "Sure, are there a lot of them?" and he came back with "It's not that bad". I'm a big guy too, 6'1 350+. When we got to the top I wanted to kick the living bejeezus out of him but I was too tired. haha!

MULLY

Sounds like a very cool spot.

BTW, I plan to place all of my caches in places like this. If you're ever in Japan.....

Will be in December. Unfortunately, our time is limited, the bulk of our time will be in Fussa for a conference, so in our limited off time we're sticking to Tokyo and Kyoto.

Edited by hzoi

Sounds like a very cool spot.

Will be in December. Unfortunately, our time is limited, the bulk of our time will be in Fussa for a conference, so in our limited off time we're sticking to Tokyo and Kyoto.

Oddly enough, when you travel from Tokyo to Kyoto you go right through here. This cache is actually less than 10k from Shizuoka station. Matter of fact, you'll ride the bullet train right past the base of the mountain that this is on.

MULLY

AHHH!, very nice indeed!

Personally, I would take the steps...so I would appreciate a parking waypoint for the starting point of that route, too.

Mully-san, this is EXACTLY what I had hoped you would/will do! :)

Consider it done. I didn't even think about parking for the other side. I'm heading out that way today as a matter of fact. I'll check around and see what the parking situation is like down there. It's possible that it's a pay by the hour parking lot. Thanks for opening my eyes to this.

MULLY

AHHH!, very nice indeed!

Personally, I would take the steps...so I would appreciate a parking waypoint for the starting point of that route, too.

Consider it done. I didn't even think about parking for the other side. I'm heading out that way today as a matter of fact. I'll check around and see what the parking situation is like down there. It's possible that it's a pay by the hour parking lot. Thanks for opening my eyes to this.

MULLY

Thank-YOU!

The steps were placed as the original access to the site...and they are done that way for a reason.

Tokugawa Ieyasu did not attain his status simply nor easily, so visiting his shrine should not be a trivial matter.

Thank-YOU!

The steps were placed as the original access to the site...and they are done that way for a reason.

Tokugawa Ieyasu did not attain his status simply nor easily, so visiting his shrine should not be a trivial matter.

That is a very good point. But, for my big self.....it's the ropeway. haha!! All kidding aside though, you are absolutely right. If people are able to climb those steps I suggest giving it a try. That's how it was done so many hundreds of years ago. We all should try to experience it the way it was originally done. You may actually get something out of it doing it that way. Best of luck to you and to anyone else that may attempt it.

MULLY

...All kidding aside though, you are absolutely right. If people are able to climb those steps I suggest giving it a try. That's how it was done so many hundreds of years ago. We all should try to experience it the way it was originally done. You may actually get something out of it doing it that way...

MULLY

Your new cache looks great. I hope it has lots of finds and hopefully some Favorite points too.

This is rather off topic but I add it for your interest/amusement. I was recently watching this Youtube of an "interesting" climb in China and was wondering if anyone had thought of placing a cache at the end... You'd certainly earn the smiley ;)

MrsB

...All kidding aside though, you are absolutely right. If people are able to climb those steps I suggest giving it a try. That's how it was done so many hundreds of years ago. We all should try to experience it the way it was originally done. You may actually get something out of it doing it that way...

MULLY

Your new cache looks great. I hope it has lots of finds and hopefully some Favorite points too.

This is rather off topic but I add it for your interest/amusement. I was recently watching this Youtube of an "interesting" climb in China and was wondering if anyone had thought of placing a cache at the end... You'd certainly earn the smiley ;)

MrsB

Holy mother of God!! You couldn't pay me to do that. Maybe not a good attribute for a cacher, but I'm really afraid of heights. Just watching this makes me uneasy.

MULLY

thanks for the vid though

Edited by mullyman

AHHH!, very nice indeed!

MULLY

Thank-YOU!

Looks as if there is NO official parking spots for this temple at the bottom of the steps. The best advice I got was "if you come by car, park at a gift shop or restaurant, buy something in that particular shop, and they'll let you leave your car there while you go" The only other option would be a bus. One thing to remember is that Japan is pressed for space. Parking isn't always a given. It's tough sometimes. I'm a little surprised there's no parking for this temple though.

MULLY

1,156 steps? I'm paying the 1,000 yen!

Everything else looks good and future seekers will be able to come prepared. Any images you could add to the page? Images always enrich a cache page.

I uploaded a photo of the steps where the cache is hidden.....it's near the steps actually. The photo doesn't really give anything away except that you're in the right area. Do you advise putting up random shots of the temples etc...? I wasn't sure if that was cool or not.

Like I said above, I want all of my future caches to be thought out as well as this one is. Anyone that goes after this is going to be rewarded with a fantastic time visiting one helluva place. I also hope that my descriptions can have enough flair that it makes people want to visit the place in question.

BTW, that Crew T Robot name, is that your handle? Both of my caches have been approved by Crow T Robot. Just wondering if that is you or if that is a system moniker that reviewers post under.

If you are the reviewer that did this cache, thanks for the quick response. I enabled it and it was published in less than a day. Very cool. I can't wait until someone goes after it.

MULLY

Crow-T-Robot, who is active in the forums, is a regular geocacher and not a volunteer cache reviewer. Your reviewer, Crow T Robot, does not have hyphens in his username.

It's quite common for there to be confusion about reviewer accounts. There can be an innocent similarity, like in this case, or there are cases of deliberate "spoofing" of reviewer accounts to cause trouble by impersonating them.

For this reason, Groundspeak assigns the "reviewer" status to legitimate volunteer accounts. You can see this status on the reviewer's profile page, and as part of the information appearing to the left of each log written by a reviewer on a cache listing.

I hope that this clarifies your question. On topic, this looks like a terrific cache! Keep hiding caches like this one.

Crow-T-Robot, who is active in the forums, is a regular geocacher and not a volunteer cache reviewer. Your reviewer, Crow T Robot, does not have hyphens in his username.

It's quite common for there to be confusion about reviewer accounts. There can be an innocent similarity, like in this case, or there are cases of deliberate "spoofing" of reviewer accounts to cause trouble by impersonating them.

For this reason, Groundspeak assigns the "reviewer" status to legitimate volunteer accounts. You can see this status on the reviewer's profile page, and as part of the information appearing to the left of each log written by a reviewer on a cache listing.

I hope that this clarifies your question. On topic, this looks like a terrific cache! Keep hiding caches like this one.

Thanks for that info. I will look closer at screen names from now on. Either way, the guy that reviewed my cache was quick. He did my first cache too. He had a few suggestions of things for me to change, laid them out for me, I made the changes and it was published. Couldn't have gone smoother. I hope he does all my hides.

MULLY

AHHH!, very nice indeed!

MULLY

Thank-YOU!

Looks as if there is NO official parking spots for this temple at the bottom of the steps. The best advice I got was "if you come by car, park at a gift shop or restaurant, buy something in that particular shop, and they'll let you leave your car there while you go" The only other option would be a bus. One thing to remember is that Japan is pressed for space. Parking isn't always a given. It's tough sometimes. I'm a little surprised there's no parking for this temple though.

MULLY

That's a pity, but nonetheless posting the co-ordinates for the beginning/bottom of the steps shows me where I need to start, should I choose that route.

The bus option is certainly possible, or perhaps I will come by bicycle! :P

Adding the information you place here (to the waypoint description) would be most helpful in dealing with the situation there.

That's a pity, but nonetheless posting the co-ordinates for the beginning/bottom of the steps shows me where I need to start, should I choose that route.

The bus option is certainly possible, or perhaps I will come by bicycle! :P

Adding the information you place here (to the waypoint description) would be most helpful in dealing with the situation there.

You got it. I'll throw a flag down at the entrance to the steps.

MULLY

sorry for the late reply, haven't been around much lately

NOTE: Waypoint for the steps added.

Edited by mullyman