Oregon x50 software version 5.10

coggins

Changes made from version 5.00 to 5.10:

Improvements to the geocaching experience. See TrailTech (http://garmin.blogs.com/softwareupdates/2011/09/improved-geocaching.html) for more information.

Fixed a potential hang on startup when importing large numbers of waypoints, tracks, routes, or geocaches

Fixed issue with very long geocache descriptions

Fixed shutdown when reviewing certain geocache descriptions

Fixed issue where the photo orientation would be incorrect in the photo viewer

Fixed potential shutdown while scrolling through Garmin Connect photos

Fixed issue where some auto-archived tracks would be named in English regardless of user language

Fixed bug that could cause some geocaches to not import

LINK

Oh dear – I have tried to update my Oregon 450 to version 5.10 and it hasn’t worked.

I’m using WebUpdater from the Garmin site, and all seems to be working fine while the GPS is connected to my computer.

WebUpdater confirms that it is version 5.10 that is required and downloads it accordingly.

When I disconnect my GPS, however, and switch it on, it comes up with the following:

“New software found

This software is older than your current software, would you like to continue and lose all user data?”

I have tried both Yes and No, either way, it carries on and eventually boots up looking like an old version of the software – with none of the new improvements.

And sure enough, when I look in “Setup/About” – it tells me I am now running Beta software 3.52 (I think I was on 4.something before)

It also now thinks I am 4,900 miles from home :) But I’m sure when I get it outside with sight of the sky it will soon come to its senses.

Does anyone know how I can get it to accept and install version 5.10?

Edited by The Chaos Crew

Well so far ir has not crashed when I import my PQs. Maybe they have finally fixed the problem!

Fingers crossed, that's what I'm hoping too! But you probably jinxed it now... :ph34r:

has anyone else noticed it appears to be much easier to select somethingon the map

Hm, what do you mean? I don't really notice any difference here...

Somehow it's now importing everything every time I start it up...

If you mean showing the progress bar at the bottom (pausing halfway through) as if new data has been transferred, mine is doing the same thing. Which makes booting up a bit slower than it used to be.

Yeah, that. And it makes booting a lot slower (and eats battery), with having close to 5000 caches loaded.

If you mean showing the progress bar at the bottom (pausing halfway through) as if new data has been transferred, mine is doing the same thing. Which makes booting up a bit slower than it used to be.

Yeah, that. And it makes booting a lot slower (and eats battery), with having close to 5000 caches loaded.

This is the "fix", albeit a little crude, for the problem where updated gpx files were not always processed correctly. Slow is reliable so Garmin have gone for the simpel approach. Now if it was me I would have gone for the load fast but have a manual force reload........

I finally got it working - no idea how - I just tried and tried over and over again until it finally behaved! I still got the message about finding an older version every time though, even the final time when it worked. Odd.

(PS mine is also now taking forever to load up but I do like the way it shows D/T and size on the list of caches around...)

Edited by The Chaos Crew

This is the "fix", albeit a little crude, for the problem where updated gpx files were not always processed correctly. Slow is reliable so Garmin have gone for the simpel approach. Now if it was me I would have gone for the load fast but have a manual force reload........

I honestly hope you're wrong and this is just a simple bug, because as it is now, it sucks quite a lot! :lol:

Well so far ir has not crashed when I import my PQs. Maybe they have finally fixed the problem!

Fingers crossed, that's what I'm hoping too! But you probably jinxed it now... :ph34r:

has anyone else noticed it appears to be much easier to select somethingon the map

Hm, what do you mean? I don't really notice any difference here...

Prior to this upgrade it seemed to be much harder to select a cache or some other point on the map. I used to have to get it exactly on the cache or whatever before it would be recognized. Now it works if I am close.

Oh dear – I have tried to update my Oregon 450 to version 5.10 and it hasn’t worked.

I’m using WebUpdater from the Garmin site, and all seems to be working fine while the GPS is connected to my computer.

WebUpdater confirms that it is version 5.10 that is required and downloads it accordingly.

When I disconnect my GPS, however, and switch it on, it comes up with the following:

“New software found

This software is older than your current software, would you like to continue and lose all user data?”

I have tried both Yes and No, either way, it carries on and eventually boots up looking like an old version of the software – with none of the new improvements.

And sure enough, when I look in “Setup/About” – it tells me I am now running Beta software 3.52 (I think I was on 4.something before)

It also now thinks I am 4,900 miles from home :) But I’m sure when I get it outside with sight of the sky it will soon come to its senses.

Does anyone know how I can get it to accept and install version 5.10?

The update file can be placed on the GPS or the card. If it is on the card, what you describe can occur. You may have had two update files one on the card and one on the GPS.

I honestly hope you're wrong and this is just a simple bug, because as it is now, it sucks quite a lot! :lol:

Back to 5.00 :-(

I didn't have any problem with the upgrade. Most features appear as described but the geocaching dashboard is the same as it has ever been. The documentation for the update shows a new geocaching dashboard that displays the cache details along with the compass. Is anyone else experiencing this discrepancy?

I didn't have any problem with the upgrade. Most features appear as described but the geocaching dashboard is the same as it has ever been. The documentation for the update shows a new geocaching dashboard that displays the cache details along with the compass. Is anyone else experiencing this discrepancy?

Try switching your dashboard to "Geocaching - Nearest"

Try switching your dashboard to "Geocaching - Nearest"

Thanks! That fixed it. It isn't intuitive why "Geocaching - Active" (the setting I had) shouldn't also display the enhanced details but I am happy to have it working.

Is anyone else having the reload the cache file at boot?

Since the update everytime I boot the unit it reloads the caches as if a new file was sent to it.

I use the NuviExport GSAK macro to create the caches to the Oregon.

It just started with version 5.1

Any way to fix this?

That happened to me too yesterday. I was on a cache run with other cachers and a I had a cache that someone didnt so I tried to send it wirelessly and it froze my unit solid @97% and his unit locked up as well. Of course had to pull the batteries and reboot and wait for five minutes to reload the cache file...

Are you folks on 5.10 with the issues reporting them back to the Oregon beta team?

I'm still on 4.50. It's stable (one of the lucky ones that never gets a lockup with a fresh 4500 cache load), I have no need for all of the opencaching junk, and it's just now at 5.10 that things are starting to look interesting.

Another improvement I am noticing with 5.10 is that my 450, which had been noticeably dropping off over recent months in accuracy, is now performing much much better. We were using it out and about over the weekend and it was behaving so much better in terms of delivering us to the cache location. And I love being able to see sizes/D/T etc in the list when I am looking for the next cache to tackle in the area (as we sometimes skip micros or nanos especially if the kids are with us). So for me, the improvements are well worth the slightly longer time it takes to boot up.

I have installed 5.10 several times now. And every time the install goes fine, but out in the field is the problem.

I found 20 caches the other day and when I turned off the GPS, all caches were gone from my "found" list on the GPS.

Yet, all the caches are listed in the geocache_visits.txt file. And even though they are listed in the geocache_vists.txt file

they won't upload thru gc.com field notes. So i had to copy the file to my computer then upload that file to gc.com and only then would it upload and show the found caches so i could log them.

Hey - all of those people who complain they can't delete their found caches without hooking up to a computer first should be thrilled <_<

I took a look at this firmware, and don't understand what Garmin is doing on boot. Previously, the content of *.gpx files was only inspected for new content and reloaded if a time/date stamp had changed, indicating new content had been loaded. Still makes sense. I don't understand why they would re-load on every boot now. If a previous load of *.gpx was successful, why perform it again? Seems as though the previous approach was OK even with the new and more careful checking.