When was the last time YOUR caches were found?

RIclimber

I was just looking at my hidden caches and noticed a few of them haven't been found in almost a year.

Does anybody else have caches that never seem to get found? Do you do anything to try and get people to find them, or just let them sit?

Part of my list:

19 March 2009 A 2/2 puzzle

28 August 2010 A 4.5T "cliffside cache"

23 February 2011 "The Witch Hunt"

26 March 2011 A parking lot cache!

Edited by Downy288

you have 4 DNF's on the "The Witch Hunt", i don;t see a log from you that you checked on it and its still there

4 DNF's will definitely put off a lot of people for attempting it

"cliffside cache" is a T5, i'm not surprised it doesn't get a lot of visits

i don't see the "19 March 2009 A 2/2 puzzle" you are referring to

We have a few caches that aren't found very often. These caches are the ones that have high terrain and high difficult ratings. Too bad too since the caches are in cool spots. We just leave them and check on the caches every year to make sure everything is ok. They will be found some day and it's pretty cool when you get that email that someone has found the lonely cache.

I was just looking at my hidden caches and noticed a few of them haven't been found in almost a year.

Does anybody else have caches that never seem to get found? Do you do anything to try and get people to find them, or just let them sit?

Part of my list:

Yes, I have several caches that don't get found that often. The ones that get found the least are either puzzles or are in remote areas. I think it is a common phenomenon. Of my 10 least found caches that have been out for more than a year and are still active, only one is traditional, the rest are either puzzles or multi's. The tradititional has a high terrain rating and is difficult to find.

My most found caches? All but one is a micro and all of them have difficult and/or terrain ratings that are two or less. The only non micro is a 1/1 ammo can that is in plain site at a visitor center. That is alos my most favorited cache.

I guess my point is, that if the cache is a puzzle or is difficult to get to then your numbers will be low. If it's a park and grab or easy to get to and find then the numbers will be higher. Also, once all of the locals have found your cache, the frequency at which your caches get found will diminish meaning that only visitors to the area or brand new cachers will log finds on your older caches.

Mine still get found fairly often, but then:

- they are in a cache 'poor' area (aka no competition)

- they are easy (low terrain and difficulty rating)

- they are new

I am guessing they will be found leas often as time passes.

I like reading the logs, and the kids love it. Placing caches was their idea and they chose the spots, so I am glad they have been popular so far.

A few of my caches don't get found all that often and have been idle for a fairly long time.

Call of the Simpsons -- Season One has been out for five-and-a-half years and has been found less than 20 times -- the last time was more than 13 months ago.

Zephyr Creek has been out more than three years and has only been found five times, the last time coming just over a year ago.

Donkey Unlocker has been a found a fair amount (29 times) but only three of those finds have come in the last two years.

Create a puzzle and/or hide your cache in a location that takes more than five minutes to walk to and you'll limit your target audience a lot.

We have two caches - one is a few minutes walk on a level trail, the other is a few minutes walk and a bit of a clamber on a rough trail. They are located in the same forest but the easy terrain cache gets found more often than the hard terrain cache.

Our other theory is that each community has its die-hard cachers. Once all of those people have found your cache then the logs from out-of-towners and newbies come in at a trickle (especially if your cache location involves travelling more than ten steps from the car).

Oh, and the answer to the original question is: October 1st, 2011 and October 8, 2011

Edited by 6NoisyHikers

Part of my list:

Perhaps the majority of your locals have found them and now you have to rely on new cachers and passing visitors?

I have four caches out there.

One is pretty much a park and grab that one has 22 finds last find was on Tuesday, 11 October 2011

The other three are all in the same area only 9 finds last find was on Monday, 22 August 2011

Think once the locals found these its just a question of when we get visitors up here.

I keep 3 bookmark lists: My caches not found in 1 year, 2 years and 3 years.

Currently the 3 year list is empty, and only 1 paddle multi-cache on the 2 year list.

This stuff involves some distance, and is not near large population centers. It's too hot for many months of the year for much of it, then hunting season during the cool weather further limits availability. I don't mind this at all.

I just archived a cache that used to occasionally go onto the 1 year list. Now it's found often. It's been surrounded by a power trail, and the TFTC or 13/68 logs that are coming in aren't of interest to me.

I'll go pick it up. I'm sure that the hole in the power trail will be noticed, and someone can place another micro there shortly. A cache owner who wants those logs.

Requires permission, but easy to get, fast and free.

I have a devious nano in a tunnel that has not been found since 2/16. http://coord.info/GC2AB75 I have checked on it.

I have three tough puzzles (4.5 D) that are a bit out of town and also require a hike to the finals. No find since early May http://coord.info/GC24ZH5

I have (what I think) an easy puzzle in town that is drawing little interest http://coord.info/GC2N4NN No find since 5/15

Another medium puzzle http://coord.info/GC2KNX2 No find since 5/25

Easy traditional but a bit of a hike, unless you find better parking. No find since 6/10 http://coord.info/GC2BQBK

I have a traditional in the cruise ship destination of Ensenada, Baja California, Mexico (GC1ZZH1). Since most cachers that visit the town are cruise ship passengers, it limits the amount of finders. That, plus the fact that it's located on a lookout at the top of a fairly intense hill overlooking the port town. There are also a few caches closer to the docks that keep most casual cachers on the cruises satisfied and only a few cachers have ventured to my cache. It's a shame because aside from the great chance to stretch your legs after time spent on a ship, the views from the cache are fantastic.

None of our local caches have much more than 30 finds. Throw multi or puzzle into the mix and the numbers go down to the teens or single digits. By count, our least loved cache is Paint by Numbers with only 6 finds in 8 months (and none since July). By date, it's A Walk Through the Garden District, a short multi which has a total of 10 finds and none since early March.

Contrast with one of our hides in Germany, which racked up 575 finds in less than 2 years. (Its replacement has had over 1,000 finds in just over 2 years.)

I was thinking of hiding a nice, challenging multi in a park near my office, but I haven't gotten around to it. On reflection, I may never get to it, because I doubt more than a handful of people will bother to go for it.

Edited by hzoi

I have a nine caches that haven't been found since 2010. For four of them it's been over a year since they were found. They aren't exactly the most difficult caches so I was surprised when I checked. In fact on is right along a road. Maybe I have to check on it because people have found my other caches in the area. Perhaps they aren't logging their DNFs?

I'm a suburbanite, so nothing too crazy. I have a fire tack night cache that hasn't been found since November 2010, so coming up on a year. It's 1/2 mile into the woods, and probably 1/4 mile long firetack trail, so a good 1 1/2 mile round trip. About all I got after that is a traditional on a dirt rails to trails that is about a 1.1 mile round trip that has only been found twice since June 2010. No other caches by anyone else anywhere near it.

I'm a suburbanite, so nothing too crazy. I have a fire tack night cache that hasn't been found since November 2010, so coming up on a year. It's 1/2 mile into the woods, and probably 1/4 mile long firetack trail, so a good 1 1/2 mile round trip. About all I got after that is a traditional on a dirt rails to trails that is about a 1.1 mile round trip that has only been found twice since June 2010. No other caches by anyone else anywhere near it.

My caches are found almost at least every day. They are all urban caches that are easy. I'd like to place some harder ones that reruire a hike those will need to wait until it cools down some.there are still too many mosquitos!!

I have one that's been pretty water logged for the last 6 months and has only had 2 or 3 finds since then. If I ever have one that goes 6 months without ANY attempts at all, I might disable it, unless it was in a very rural area. Just because I do maintenance on them more often than that....

When I do maintenance, or at least check them, I write a note in the log, to say good to go, come find it!!!!

The rest of my 9 caches have all been found at least within the last 2 months.

Edited by FloridaFour

We have one that people are "attempting"..but only one couple's officially found it since we put it out. It's not one that people are used to seeing, but the other half of the RhinoInAToga team checked on it today, & he saw a dude walk right up to it, stand there for a minute (with his GPS in hand) & then just turn around & leave. He didn't even touch anything. So..just because they aren't logging DNFs doesn't mean they aren't visiting it. I would say it doesn't mean they aren't looking for it, but I'm not sure that can be classified as looking for it...

& then we have one out there in which people wrote logs such as "DNF, it's been compromised. " & "DNF, we think it's on private land" (it's not)..my favorite, "DNF, the coords are wrong)...only for it to be found about 4 or 5 DNFs later, sitting pretty just where we left it, full of it's original Swag. (Good stuff) my theory is that some don't want to put in the footwork, & if others let those DNFs effect their game, they'll be missing out ina well-hidden, nice cache.

But the truth is, DNFs do effect other people's game, that's why I wish people wouldn't get cocky & assume that since they can't find it, it's not there.