Would anyone be interested in Cache Containers?

rturiak

Hi guys,

Me and my geocaching buddy have been working on creating an idea where we would create cache containers, and sell them on here. We would be able to personalize it for your taste, like include your username on the logbook, or custom colors.

It would be pre-maid Tupperware containers with a nice log sheet and Geocaching information sheet which would be laminated. They will come in all sizes, and we can have them painted Camo or black or whatever you like. And like I said, we can create personalized logs to include your username on it. We can also send you new logs if you need for a small fee.

Here is my question, Would anyone be interested in Cache containers that are made and ready to place? It would make it easier to place them, and more people might place them then, so we could have more involvement in the community. Im just trying to see if this would be at all possible and if there is any interest.

The price would be somewhere between 8-14$ for them depending on the size and what you want personalized.

We would accept Paypal money, and would be also selling them on eBay.

Thanks guys, Happy caching!

-Ryan

Would anyone be interested in Cache containers that are made and ready to place?

They'd have to be Lock-n-Locks with a rubber seal in the lid, or something similar. Companies sell rock-solid watertight ready-to-go cache containers. I wouldn't buy a "tupperware" style for a cache. But some people might, if it's less expensive than the others.

Me and my geocaching buddy have been working on creating an idea where we would create cache containers, and sell them on here.

You might be able to sell them elsewhere, but I can guarantee that you won't be able to sell them "on here."

Groundspeak already sells their own cache containers "on here," and they aren't going to allow a competitor to advertise for free on this site.

Oh, and: IBTL

Something like this?

container_small_lockingcache.jpg

Geocache - Geocaching Container

$3.99

Description: This Geocache is water resistant, see through and has a permanent screen printed label attached.

The sizes: 0.24L, 5.25" x 3.50"

Perfect for your Local Urban and Mountain Geocaching experience!

Hey, those are sweet! I'd buy those. Tell me more!

Hi guys,

Me and my geocaching buddy have been working on creating an idea where we would create cache containers, and sell them on here. We would be able to personalize it for your taste, like include your username on the logbook, or custom colors.

It would be pre-maid Tupperware containers with a nice log sheet and Geocaching information sheet which would be laminated. They will come in all sizes, and we can have them painted Camo or black or whatever you like. And like I said, we can create personalized logs to include your username on it. We can also send you new logs if you need for a small fee.

Here is my question, Would anyone be interested in Cache containers that are made and ready to place? It would make it easier to place them, and more people might place them then, so we could have more involvement in the community. Im just trying to see if this would be at all possible and if there is any interest.

The price would be somewhere between 8-14$ for them depending on the size and what you want personalized.

We would accept Paypal money, and would be also selling them on eBay.

I DON'T THINK SO!

$5 shipped maybe but that price point borders on gouging.

personalizing logsheets PULLLLEASE!

Tough crowd! :P The OP sounds rather young. Sure, sell them on Ebay. No one can sell them "on here". You could aspire to become a Groundspeak authorized retailer, but you'd have to have your own website. You'd get a link on this website out of the deal. But your website would have to be moderately professional.

EDIT: Here's the list of retailers

Edited by Mr.Yuck

Im just a 17 year old kid looking to get some extra cash, selling caches. Im gonna try ebay.

Good luck with your new business.

As a marketing professional, let me give you a bit of advice: Any business, including yours, needs to have a unique selling proposition.

There are a lot of people selling geocache containers on ebay already. In order to be successful, you need to do something to make yours stand out. That "something" might be a more creative container type, or some extra included with the purchase, or... I don't know, I'm really not that creative myself. (If I did know,I'd be selling caches on ebay!) But the point is, if I just typed "geocache" into the search box on eBay and I'm looking at the 926 current auctions, what's going to make me pick YOURS?

If you can't answer that question, you probably aren't going to sell a lot of caches. If you can find a way to make your listings stand out, and offer a real value to your customers, then you'll make money.

Im just a 17 year old kid looking to get some extra cash, selling caches. Im gonna try ebay.

As a marketing professional, let me give you a bit of advice: Any business, including yours, needs to have a unique selling proposition.

There are a lot of people selling geocache containers on ebay already. In order to be successful, you need to do something to make yours stand out. That "something" might be a more creative container type, or some extra included with the purchase, or... I don't know, I'm really not that creative myself. (If I did know,I'd be selling caches on ebay!) But the point is, if I just typed "geocache" into the search box on eBay and I'm looking at the 926 current auctions, what's going to make me pick YOURS?

If you can't answer that question, you probably aren't going to sell a lot of caches. If you can find a way to make your listings stand out, and offer a real value to your customers, then you'll make money.

Good advice. Would "Geocache containers" have narrowed it down considerably? Yes, you would definitely need to make your listing stand out, and a very nicely done auction page would go a long way there. And of course you're trying to make money, but don't make them too expensive. And don't gouge people on shipping. Not like that one hasn't happened to me before. :lol:

Good luck with your business, but as others have stated, Groundspeak sells cache containers through this site.

We use Lock & Lock containers and have fun camouflaging them ourselves. And other containers too. If you can come up with an original idea, you may want to discuss it with Groundspeak and see if they want to do business with you - who knows, they may buy the idea from you!

A good idea for you would be to come up with blue prints for containers that are awesome, instructions, then if your lucky people might donate money if they are really good!

Like making cryptex's from those very good plans that are on this forum. people have wrote they'd buy one ready made because they don't have tools.

A good idea for you would be to come up with blue prints for containers that are awesome, instructions, then if your lucky people might donate money if they are really good!

Like making cryptex's from those very good plans that are on this forum. people have wrote they'd buy one ready made because they don't have tools.

Not just the toolless. I'd buy one because I really suck at building stuff.

Though I did try. $90 later, I got nothin'...

The handyman gene must've skipped a generation with me. <_<

I'd buy one just because you're 17 and trying to do something. I wish my 17 year old son would show some sort of ambition to earn a buck! PM me if you get going.

thanks a bunch! I will be sure to do that!

Also, I know you can add coupons on check out on ebay that the seller provides, would i be allowed to post coupon codes on here for you guys to get a discount on my products?

That was really nice of you. Jesus points to you!

The way to advertise your own products (other than geocoins) is to buy ads from Groundspeak. I doubt that's the way to go for you.

Posting a link to eBay, with or without coupon codes, sounds like it would violate the forum guidelines to me. But I'm not a mod and don't play one on TV. Perhaps one of them can chime in. You can also ask for permission, Groundspeak can and does make exceptions.

Good luck with your venture!

I'd buy one just because you're 17 and trying to do something. I wish my 17 year old son would show some sort of ambition to earn a buck! PM me if you get going.

thanks a bunch! I will be sure to do that!

Also, I know you can add coupons on check out on ebay that the seller provides, would i be allowed to post coupon codes on here for you guys to get a discount on my products?

Why not just forego coupon codes and give the purchaser the out the door price.

coupon codes are usually for advertisers that want to know how well a particular site is doing for them.

Excellent point, and kudos to you good sir for being liberal with the free advice. If I might add to it and make a suggestion: Several people have already said that part of what they enjoy most about hiding caches is being able to decorate and camoflage the cache themselves.

Instead of offering to personalize the caches for them, make it a sort of build-your-own kit. Allow them to choose different options which will come with the container, but not already applied to it. This way, it saves YOU on labor, which could lower the prices for the customer, making this deal more enticing. This would be best accomplished with your own website where you can customize the HTML and add in forms for option selection. That, or modify the order via email on the ebay auction.

Along with the cache kit customisation, perhaps offer the custom logs/labels for the cache and send the template to the customer so they can have replacements on the fly without having to re-order, re-create, or redesign. Also opens the doors for the customer to tweak their creation as they see fit.