Do I want the topographic maps with my Oregon?

I am about to order a new GPSr but do I want/need the one with the topographic maps?

I have no idea!

What are the benefits wrt caching in the UK?

thanks!

IMO, No, you don't need them.

Save the difference and spend it on Tupperware - buy the non-topo version and load Talky Toasters OSM maps instead :)

I am about to order a new GPSr but do I want/need the one with the topographic maps?

I have no idea!

thanks!

Save the difference and spend it on Tupperware - buy the non-topo version and load Talky Toasters OSM maps instead :)

+1.

I think the only benefit of the Garmin Topo Maps is that you can view maps in 3D mode, but contour lines show you all the sticky up bits. :D

I have no idea!

thanks!

+1.

I think the only benefit of the Garmin Topo Maps is that you can view maps in 3D mode, but contour lines show you all the sticky up bits. :D

Fabulous. That is pretty much what I thought, thanks.

I am running out of places to hide Tupperware though...

What they said! Use TalkyToasters maps, they are as good as the Garmin topo (better in some areas) and if your budget stretches and you want the Ordnance Survery Landranger 1:50K maps then get the Garmin OSGB Discoverer maps. I use both on my Oregon 550 (you can switch between them very easily).

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk

Geocaching.com Knowledge Books

I fully agree - I 100% endorse TalkyToaster's maps and you can also have some fun on the side updating the OSM yourself (the base map he uses) and seeing your updates appear on his maps.

I also use Mobile Atlas Creator (also free) where I need local 25K OS maps on my Oregon - these can be used side by side with TalkyToaster's.

By the way TalkyToaster - hint, hint, it's been over 3 weeks now since an update; are you slacking or something?!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

One good thing about having the Topo maps on the GPS is that they're worldwide - you'll be able to view (simple) maps when you're abroad without having to put any extra effort in.

I have Topo, TalkyToaster and the Explorer maps enabling as required: Topo for abroad, Explorer for normal and TT when I want to look for extra paths.

Mmmm.... Shiny... The smell of new gadget... And no children this weekend - what a bonus.

I have Talky Toaster's maps on my Colorado and you're right, they are great. I hadn't twigged that the Oregon uses a micro SD card so I will need to scavenge one of those from around the house somewhere! And find wherever my card reader/writer has gone....

Thank you for confirming what my gut feeling was. I don't tend to cache outside of the UK so worldwide mapping wasn't an overriding need.

<<strokes new gadget possessively>>

I hadn't twigged that the Oregon uses a micro SD card so I will need to scavenge one of those from around the house somewhere! And find wherever my card reader/writer has gone....

You shouldn't need a separate card reader - with the card in your Oregon and plugged into your 'puter it'll read as two drives, so just drag the TT map straight to the card drive :)

I don't think you even need a card for the TT maps, I'm positive I've got mine loaded onto the base memory of my Oregon.

If you went for the topo version you'll have a larger onboard memory. The non-topo version only has 850mb. Not sure what the topo version has.

But I agree - they're loaded onto the onboard memory of mine too.

Edited by keehotee

I have no idea!

thanks!

I would say not to get them preloaded. I'm not sure if you can delete preloaded maps to replace them, but personally I'd prefer to take the unit without maps and then load whatever map(s) I wanted as and when I wanted them. Hills and mountains aren't known for moving around very frequently (by the time the mountains have moved your GPS is probably obsolete) but when roads change I'd rather not be stuck with a map that's built in showing the road as it was.

I don't know what maps you'll get with a UK unit but for what it's worth my copy of the UK Topo maps (bought in 2006, labelled "v2" which I think is what they are still selling) shows some paths and trails that are little more than worn strips through the moorland but doesn't show some other tracks which are wide enough for two cars to pass and which lead to a car park. As another example my topo maps of the US (1:100k) that are about 5 years old don't show some roads that have been there for 15 years that I know of and probably longer still.

If you're wanting a map for routing be a little careful with the TalkyToaster maps. Sometimes they give you a great route, sometimes they take 6 miles when a 1-mile route would get to the same place. In fairness the routing is described as "experimental", it's just good to know the strengths and weaknesses of anything you're going to be using and maybe relying on. What I love about the TalkyToaster maps is that they include all sorts of paths and trials (again, be a little careful if you're routing by bicycle as it quite often routes me down paths marked "no cycling"), and of course the price is really sweet!

I don't think you even need a card for the TT maps, I'm positive I've got mine loaded onto the base memory of my Oregon.

Now that I hadn't realised.

I didn't get the topo version - to be honest I think I always knew the Toaster maps would be sufficient for my limitedneeds. I am just in the process of wiping and packing up my trusty Colorado as I will be donating it to my sons' scout troop to go with their basic Etrexes. One of the leaders introduced them to the idea of caching (which has caused me no end of trouble and a small amount of embarrassment as I try to explain how and why I spend time lurking in the woods with an assortment of tupperware in my bag).

thank you for all your help.

Hi,

Indeed, you don't need to load the maps onto a card if you have sufficient space on the internal memory of the Garmin GPSr.

I am currently compiling new mapsets and these should be available some time on Sunday. The lack of mapsets from me recently is due to the amount of travelling (on business) I have been doing.

Regards,

Martin

Hi,

Indeed, you don't need to load the maps onto a card if you have sufficient space on the internal memory of the Garmin GPSr.

I am currently compiling new mapsets and these should be available some time on Sunday. The lack of mapsets from me recently is due to the amount of travelling (on business) I have been doing.

Regards,

Martin

Thanks for all the work you put into the maps for us Martin :)