Dakota 20 Screen - Gritty/Fuzzy?

So I ended up purchasing my first GPSr (yay!) - a Dakota 20. I chose it over the eTrex 30 because of the touch screen, and because of a decent promotion I got on it (or, at least I think it was decent).

Anyway, the first thing I've noticed is that the screen looks a little "gritty" or "fuzzy" - it's hard to describe - I feel like I always want to wipe it off. It reminds me of an anti-glare screen protector I had for my iPhone, which had the same effect. Is this normal?

Thanks!

So I ended up purchasing my first GPSr (yay!) - a Dakota 20. I chose it over the eTrex 30 because of the touch screen, and because of a decent promotion I got on it (or, at least I think it was decent).

Anyway, the first thing I've noticed is that the screen looks a little "gritty" or "fuzzy" - it's hard to describe - I feel like I always want to wipe it off. It reminds me of an anti-glare screen protector I had for my iPhone, which had the same effect. Is this normal?

Thanks!

We just bought one tonight as well and notice the same thing. I'm interested to see what others have to say. I am trying to figure out how to load the .gpx file onto it.

I am trying to figure out how to load the .gpx file onto it.

For the GPX file, as I understand it, you plug the device into the computer, it'll show up as a mass storage device. There's a folder in there: \garmin\gpx. Put the files in that folder, eject, and all set.

Anyway, I'd like to hear from other Dakota owners what their impressions of the screen is.

However, I'll bet that if you've experienced the same thing, it's probably normal. My assumption is that it's some kind of anti-glare coating.

I am trying to figure out how to load the .gpx file onto it.

For the GPX file, as I understand it, you plug the device into the computer, it'll show up as a mass storage device. There's a folder in there: \garmin\gpx. Put the files in that folder, eject, and all set.

Anyway, I'd like to hear from other Dakota owners what their impressions of the screen is.

However, I'll bet that if you've experienced the same thing, it's probably normal. My assumption is that it's some kind of anti-glare coating.

That is exactly what I did and the geocaches do NOT show up on the GPS. I have looked under Geocaches, Routes, Waypoints and just about everywhere else possible. I am very technical so thought this would be an easy task. Not sure why they aren't showing up.

I just read a review on the DK 20 and what the reviewer pointed out is the higher resolution devices are harder to read in the sunlight. The lower res DK20 is much easier and doesn't have the glare problem that other units have.

The display resolution on the Dakota is pretty low. It gives me a nausea, toy like feeling when I see it. The Dakota is Garmin’s lower end paperless GPS so I’m guessing they saved a couple bucks using a cheaper display. The Dakota was designed when many people were screaming about the Oregon display readability in certain lighting conditions and short battery life. That could have also played a role in their decision to use a lower resolution display.

As far as the Pocket Queries, the PQ has to be unzipped before putting in the GPX folder. The GPS cannot read compressed files. Each PQ contains 2 files, one for geocaches and one for child waypoints. Put both of them in the GPX folder.

The Dakota operates the same as the Oregon so you will find the Oregon Wiki helpfull.

I''m actually talking about the fact that it has a bit of grittiness to it - or maybe it could be described best as sparkly.

Yes, I've noted that, and own both Dakota and Oregon units. It seems to have something to do with the polarization material on this particular LCD. Never bothered me, but I do notice it.