Importing gpx files

So...I'm a little embarrassed to ask this basic question but how does one go about importing gpx files to a Garmin device? I am working with a MAC laptop and a Garmin 400t. I downloaded a gpx file from the internet and can not figure out how to get my Garmin to accept it. I have installed Garmin RoadTrip thinking this would somehow magically help...but it hasn't. Any tips would be appreciated.

If you connect your Garmin to your Mac ("MAC" is something else in the computer world!) via a USB cable, does the Garmin show up on the Mac's desktop as an external storage device? If so, just open the Garmin, look for the "GPX" folder, and drag your .gpx files to that.

If you have a premium membership with Groundspeak, you can download a browser plug-in that will let you use the "Send to GPS" button on individual cache pages, which will put the .gpx file right on the Garmin for you.

If you connect your Garmin to your Mac ("MAC" is something else in the computer world!) via a USB cable, does the Garmin show up on the Mac's desktop as an external storage device? If so, just open the Garmin, look for the "GPX" folder, and drag your .gpx files to that.

If you have a premium membership with Groundspeak, you can download a browser plug-in that will let you use the "Send to GPS" button on individual cache pages, which will put the .gpx file right on the Garmin for you.

We just bought our first Garmin handheld tonight. I did the same thing. I created a pocket query and dragged the .gpx file to the Garmin device, in the GPX folder, shown on my Mac. I have looked in waypoints, geocaches and practically everywhere else on the device and it does not show up. I have verified on my Mac that the file is indeed on the device. Looking for help too.

I have looked under both Waypoints and Geocaches (and most everything else) and do not see the file. When I look on my Mac browser I see that it's in the GPX folder on the device so I know it exists.

Probably a silly question, but PQ's arrive zipped. You did unzip the file before you dragged it to your Garmin, didn't you?

Oh...I didn't realize they are zipped files. However, when I try to unzip, I am not given the option. I can open it and view it...it's just a series of text strings (geocoords)...it's a very small file. Not worth zipping.

Premium Membership.

Is your GPS new? (Newish!?)

Go here> http://www.geocaching.com/garmin/freetrial.aspx and register it, you will get 30 days Premium Membership.

That will allow you to try Pocket Queries and get GPX files.

Markwells guide to Pocket Queries > http://www.markwell.us/pq.htm

I'm also tempted to say download and try MacCaching GeoCache Manager for Mac OS X from

http://www.maccaching.com/

It can open the files, and you can at least see if the files contain any information!

Daft question, have you connected the GPS and tried to 'Send to GPS'? I'm not too sure how much information is sent to non-Premium Members.

IF you have any GPX files added as a non-PM, delete them before adding PM files. The units have a default of making all files non-PM if there are any on the unit...

Edited by Bear and Ragged

Thanks for all of the tips but I just can't get this to work. I did download the maccaching.com program (which is awesome!!) and can open the gpx file there. I can even "Send to GPS" and it seems to work but once I look in my Garmin I don't see the file. I'm looking under Geocaches, Waypoints, Geocoords...I think I looked under every possible tab but I just don't see the files. I also checked my settings to see if the waypoints would be hidden but they aren't. Not sure what's going on.

Thanks for all of the tips but I just can't get this to work. I did download the maccaching.com program (which is awesome!!) and can open the gpx file there. I can even "Send to GPS" and it seems to work but once I look in my Garmin I don't see the file. I'm looking under Geocaches, Waypoints, Geocoords...I think I looked under every possible tab but I just don't see the files. I also checked my settings to see if the waypoints would be hidden but they aren't. Not sure what's going on.

OK. Daft question time.

Are the caches more than 50 miles away from where you are now?

They will only show on the unit if you search by name, rather than nearest.