Can you find your own geocache?

jakesnake27

I've found a couple of caches that I've adopted from other people, but found them before I adopted them. Oh yes Swine Flew, I've had a couple that ended up far, far from where they were placed. I think the worst one, was about 200' from original placement. Grrrr!

I've never claimed a "found" on my own cache, however I do claim "attended" on my own events. :P

200'? Really? How the heck does that happen...extremely high winds?

I find my own caches to get them off of my 'caches I havent found list, as they annoy me and get in the way.

'CheesyHuetes out

What "Caches I haven't found" list are you referring to that includes your own hides? :blink:

Correct. I have a sock puppet basic account, and access to the password of what we could call a shared basic sock puppet account. :ph34r: Used for hiding caches, or Geocaching mascots. Anywho, yes, if I would do a zip code search, caches hidden by those sock puppets would show up. However, if I click on any cache page in that zip code, and click on the "nearby caches that I haven't found" link, the hidden by myself I mean sock puppet hidden caches disappear. I also have the opportunity to search for nearest caches from my home location, and the option to filter out finds. I really don't see where your own hidden caches could haunt you as unfound as a basic member other than a zip code search. And seeing as I have previously guesstimated that 99.995% of Geocachers don't log finds on caches they hid themselves, it wouldn't haunt me in the first place. :lol:

So, I'm leaving where I'm living in about a month, so about a month ago, I put all of my caches up for adoption. All of them were adopted, and one of them has changed locations. As I see it, my name is still on the page, but the cache isn't in my account. I don't know where my friend put the new cache. There also aren't so many caches left for me to find here. I can go find that before I go, right? It doesn't really matter, but one more smiley is one more smiley. :)

So, I'm leaving where I'm living in about a month, so about a month ago, I put all of my caches up for adoption. All of them were adopted, and one of them has changed locations. As I see it, my name is still on the page, but the cache isn't in my account. I don't know where my friend put the new cache. There also aren't so many caches left for me to find here. I can go find that before I go, right? It doesn't really matter, but one more smiley is one more smiley. :)

Sure, you can find them. Nothing stopped you from finding them while you actually still owned the caches. But many of us think it's a cheesy thing to do, whether you own a cache or once owned it.

one more smiley is one more smiley. :)

Plus, everybody thinks you look better!

29awf4l.jpg

Wait. If the adopter changed the location of the hide, why wasn't that listed as a new cache? Then others could get one more Smiley.

Edited by kunarion

Sure, you can find them. Nothing stopped you from finding them while you actually still owned the caches. But many of us think it's a cheesy thing to do, whether you own a cache or once owned it.

I think maybe you didn't read all of what I said. I agree with what you said. Totally. My question was about one particular geocache. I have 13 others that I owned, which are now adopted by others, but in the same place I hid them. A little more background into the one. I owned the cache listing, yes. However, I never saw the current cache (actual container) before, I so never owned it. Also, not only has the container changed, but the location has changed by 395.4 feet (120.6 meters). Someone else asked why they didn't just open a new cache. I'll address that in a different comment. Anyway, the location is not mine. The container is not mine. The only thing that WAS mine is the listing. And that doesn't even show up on my profile anymore. So, my question was asking what the consensus is on the one geocache, not on the 13 others. Thanks. Have a good day.

Wait. If the adopter changed the location of the hide, why wasn't that listed as a new cache? Then others could get one more Smiley.

I loved that picture. Very nice. Yeah, I don't know why they wouldn't just archive mine and list a new one. I think it has something to do with it being a Central Asian honor/shame based culture. They don't want to dishonor me by archiving my cache, especially while I'm still here. It may be something else entirely, though. On a side note, the reason for my original question was that I jokingly wrote them and said, "Hey, I see the cache has moved. I guess I can find it now, since I don't know where you put it. :)" They replied by saying, "Sure. It's waiting for you. Let me know what you think about its new place after you find it." So hence the question here.

the location is not mine. The container is not mine. The only thing that WAS mine is the listing. And that doesn't even show up on my profile anymore.

I'd think it won't create a problem for you (since it's not double listed nor listed as both yours and found), nor confuse others (for some of the same reasons). A lot of cachers do something non-standard without considering the consequences, then arrive in the forums asking for help to unscramble the mess. I don't see how your specific OP is all that big a deal. If it were me, I'd want to go check out the better location that I never noticed when I hid it :ph34r:. But I'd just log a Note, since it's my cache that was so great, I couldn't bear to archive it when I moved (OK, it wasn't all that great until in the current better spot with the better container, but what ya gonna do).

Edited by kunarion
They replied by saying, "Sure. It's waiting for you. Let me know what you think about its new place after you find it." So hence the question here.

I'd definitely go check it out, regardless of the log.

One of my "Note Logs" was about a cache that I wasn't certain I should log as a "Find". Just as you had a question, I did on the cache I found (or didn't, as the case may be). I half-hoped the Cache Owner would see the note, and contact me. "Hey, go ahead and log that as a 'Found It'!" Anyway, if I decided I found it, and certainly if the CO agreed, and if I kept track myself if there could be any database issue (appearing to both own and log a cache or whatever, or something which may cause stats to be a little out of whack), it's fine.

I think maybe you didn't read all of what I said. I agree with what you said. Totally. My question was about one particular geocache. I have 13 others that I owned, which are now adopted by others, but in the same place I hid them. A little more background into the one. I owned the cache listing, yes. However, I never saw the current cache (actual container) before, I so never owned it. Also, not only has the container changed, but the location has changed by 395.4 feet (120.6 meters). Someone else asked why they didn't just open a new cache. I'll address that in a different comment. Anyway, the location is not mine. The container is not mine. The only thing that WAS mine is the listing. And that doesn't even show up on my profile anymore. So, my question was asking what the consensus is on the one geocache, not on the 13 others. Thanks. Have a good day.

Oh, I'm sure you're good there. The most common thing people do in adoptions by the way, is after it's transferred to edit the placed by field to read by: bulcacher (adopted by localcacher).

Dude, you have to find it. It will haunt you. I just thought what it would be like if one of our multis was completely changed after adoption. We've spent so much time maintaining, I know the area very well. I would love to see if the new owner made better use of the park than we did. And, we would log it. Sounds like a blast!

Oh, I'm sure you're good there. The most common thing people do in adoptions by the way, is after it's transferred to edit the placed by field to read by: bulcacher (adopted by localcacher).

That's interesting. I may suggest that to my local friends. I don't have a lot of experience with adoption.

is it considered a toupee if you hide a cache with a buddy and you dont get the nice big gold star? :( my ADD is killing me with the "green box" icon

I think it's fair game to "find" a cache if you helped someone hide it. I might choose to wait until the FTF frenzy was over before I signed the log. FTF hounds can get a bit whiny and I'd just prefer not to hear about it.