Can you find your own geocache?

jakesnake27

Only if you lose it first.

If you placed it then how can you find it if you know where it is? Technically you can log it but it's considered bad form.

Having said that, I've seen someone log a cache their son placed but they had to use their account to publish it so even though the cache was under their account they still had to go and find where and how their son hid it.

Not as simple a question as it sounds. Generally the answer is how can you find it, you knew where it was all along. But there are examples of exceptions. Like adopting a cache you found previously. Or perhaps you married a geocacher and wish to combine your accounts. Truth is there is no rule prohibiting it. But without some reasonable exception it is considered by most to be "cheesy".

My daughter and I are a team on here for now. I made a hide without her and let her find it! However I only logged it as a note because I still think to log it as a find would be kind of lame. Even thought I did have to wait about 20 min of her wandering around to find it. I was wondering if that is what everyone did who looked for it or she was just having some bad luck on it. :laughing:

-WarNinjas

My daughter and I are a team on here for now. I made a hide without her and let her find it! However I only logged it as a note because I still think to log it as a find would be kind of lame. Even thought I did have to wait about 20 min of her wandering around to find it. I was wondering if that is what everyone did who looked for it or she was just having some bad luck on it. :laughing:

-WarNinjas

Which one? I didn't do all yours yet.

I let my grandfather (89yo) hide just one. Actually it's a LPC in his front yard. With his Alzheimer's, he enjoys finding it everyday. However, he always complains about the swag and all his finds are LPCs. :unsure: Kinda of like a few posts I have read in other threads in the forum.

You can't "find" something that you already know where it is.

You can log that you found it, but you will look pretty silly doing so (and others will have cheesy thoughts about you).

This is the correct answer. ^^^^ And keep in mind, the OP appears to be a teenager with one ammo box hide. So please, no extremist libertarian posts saying "anyone can do anything they want, and who cares what anyone else thinks", defending the like .005% of people that actually go around logging caches they hid themselves. Thank You. :laughing:

I had one that was moved from the bottom of one tree (or large shrub, whatever you want to call it) to about 10 ft up in another tree about 30 ft away by tree-trimmers who had cut down the original hiding place. I found that one by sheer luck, and yeah I logged the find--then I archived it. After all the cutting, the area was just too open to hide anything; while I was retrieving the cache from high up in the tree, there was a woman watching me from the parking lot.

It seems....that I need to"find" one of my own caches..... will I log it as a find ....... NO....but I will let others know it is right where it should be.......

Technically speaking..... my sister needs to check if it is still snug as a bug in its hide-y hole....

Edited by Davequal
I just about logged one of my caches because it was 15 feet from where I placed it and I searched for over 30 mins for it. GRRR...
Yep. I've had to tell multiple cache owners where their caches were, because I was the last person to find them, and the owners had DNFed them thanks to cache migration.
I just about logged one of my caches because it was 15 feet from where I placed it and I searched for over 30 mins for it. GRRR...
Yep. I've had to tell multiple cache owners where their caches were, because I was the last person to find them, and the owners had DNFed them thanks to cache migration.

Yep, I've had to ask the last finder where one of my caches had migrated to. Turns out I'd quit looking about 2 ft from where it was. Didn't log a DNF (or a Found It).

I've found a couple of caches that I've adopted from other people, but found them before I adopted them. Oh yes Swine Flew, I've had a couple that ended up far, far from where they were placed. I think the worst one, was about 200' from original placement. Grrrr!

I've never claimed a "found" on my own cache, however I do claim "attended" on my own events. :P

My son has his own account now and I'm enjoying finding the ones that I've placed. I don't log them as found, but my son does on his account because he wasn't with me when I hid them. It's amazing how far away that the cache gets moved as it never seems to be in the same spot as I put it.

I've found a couple of caches that I've adopted from other people, but found them before I adopted them. Oh yes Swine Flew, I've had a couple that ended up far, far from where they were placed. I think the worst one, was about 200' from original placement. Grrrr!

I've never claimed a "found" on my own cache, however I do claim "attended" on my own events. :P

I wouldn't even think it was cheesy to log a find on a cache you adopted even if you found it after you adopted it. If you haven't found it before, and you don't know where it is, then you find it, it is a find.

I wouldn't do it. If others feel they need the count or it provides some satisfaction...then they are welcome to do it. Does it really matter? No!!!! It only a game, which we keep our own score. And the score has only relative meaning. When my cache counts starts effecting my credit score, then I might look at logging a few of my own.

Edited by Russ!

As with many things in Geocaching, it is entirely possible, but it all really comes down to a personal choice of whether you think it is considered acceptable or not...

The general consensus is no on the question - you hid the cache, so you are never really finding it as such, in the way that someone else will have to figure out the hiding place from the clues and information given. The rules allow you which gives leeway for groups that share accounts and similar situations.

Last time this came up I recall saying that would be like kissing your own sister. But things got a little wierd after that so I am not going to say it this time.

Well, I first heard of that phrase in like the 1970's talking about NHL Hockey ties before they had overtime and shootouts, and some teams would tie like 25 times a season. Yeah, It's a girl, but it's your sister. One of which I don't have, and never will. So I'd just roll with the bad Toupee analogy. :ph34r:

Here is my problem, I just helped my boy hide his 1st geocache under his new account. I did 75% of the work. Am I going to claim it. Yes! The next time I go out and do maintenance, I think I might put in a funny DNF, then the next time I need to just get out I think I am going to "find" it with yet another funny story. The way I see it the challenge is not only in the finding but what I put into it. I could go down a power trail and pick up numbers. But with this cache I helped place and did 75% of the work, I earned the smile with the finding it with maintenance and a good write up. "Finding" your own cache is kind of cheesy, "Finding" :) an adventure and then coming back to this site and logging the fun you put some effort into, well that is a smile.

I do not claim a find on my own caches that I placed but have claimed taunting DNF. And well a long story but I am not even going to "find" :)or claim a smile on the 1/1 cache that is my alter ego account's cache thou. But I am going to log multi DNF's on the Gnomes hide.

-WarNinjas

Which one? I didn't do all yours yet.

It is this one. She has a few hides out as pink ninja and I have the one so far as blue ninja. Hope you get a chance to find them. Some of ours are nicer then the ones you have found of ours. I hope you can get out someday and find our kayak caches. I am hoping to get out to them this weekend and check to see if they are actually able to hold up to the salt water. I see your name on a lot of the caches we find!

Blue Ninjas Cache and Release

-WarNinjas

I only hosted one event on this website many years ago (and a more recent one on another website, that will probably become annual), but heck yes, I posted an attended log for them. There are a surprising number of people against it here in the forums every time it comes up, but I'd say most hosts do it, and the Geocaching Police aren't going to come take you away. :blink:

' timestamp='1318467597' post='4865033']

Only if you lose it first.

If you placed it then how can you find it if you know where it is? Technically you can log it but it's considered bad form.

Having said that, I've seen someone log a cache their son placed but they had to use their account to publish it so even though the cache was under their account they still had to go and find where and how their son hid it.

i see you EVERYWHERE ( dont worry, i dont stalk)

I only hosted one event on this website many years ago (and a more recent one on another website, that will probably become annual), but heck yes, I posted an attended log for them. There are a surprising number of people against it here in the forums every time it comes up, but I'd say most hosts do it, and the Geocaching Police aren't going to come take you away. :blink:

With an event, there are no "hidden" properties. A lot of freakin work goes into events, not to mention several dollars from my pockets over the years. It's a social gathering, you were there. Period. I don't get why people get upset claiming your own events. <_<