Tracking down a user.

Riddell

Recently I had a visitor to a cahce of mine and they took off with a trackable coin.

They at least signed the log book and said they had taken the coin.

Nothing was logged on line.

The cacher recorded the find in the log book as their first find.

They actually have an account on Geocaching.com under user name Roosies and are more than likely based near me in Tullamarine, Victoria, Australia.

I have twice e-mailed them without a response.

Would anyone know how I can get a more positive ID on them?

Thanks,

Ian

(Riddell)

Recently I had a visitor to a cahce of mine and they took off with a trackable coin.

They actually have an account on Geocaching.com under user name Roosies and are more than likely based near me in Tullamarine, Victoria, Australia.

Thanks,

Ian

(Riddell)

You can't. GC.com is not gonna give you their name and address.

Thanks,

Ian

(Riddell)

You could try the Australian Forum here..http://forum.geocaching.com.au/ thats where most of us hang out. Plenty of Victorians that may be able to help you. You can leave a message in the general forum as a guest if you do not wish to sign-up.

This happens on a somewhat regular basis and is much discussed. The best thing is let it go. Once a hitchhiker leaves your cache you don't have any responsibility for it.

Generally I'd say let it go. However, I did once just happen to be going to one of my caches for a maintenance visit, and noticed a trackable reported missing, and decided to check the paper log for it. Mind you this was like 2006, when people actually wrote more in the paper log than their username and the date. :laughing: I found a mostly legible log mentioning taking the trackable, and got a positive hit on a 0 find 0 hide account. I emailed them, and sure enough, they said they had it, and even though they didn't log their finds on the website, they would be sure to log the grab and the drop, and they did.

But I got the vibe from the whole thing that he thought I was extremely obnoxious and overbearing. :lol:

Edited by Mr.Yuck

I met someone who tried caching a couple of years back and told me she found "these really neat coins." They were trackables, and she thought it was OK to just keep them. I explained what was meant to happen, and offered to get them back into play as she no longer goes caching. She said she'd get around to doing it herself one day.... :blink: but I'm not holding much hope...

Hope for the best. I had a thread once called " Sometimes they come back" but they combined it with another similar thread. Liked my name better. Anyway I had many examples of ones I found that had been missing for years. One time two coins were drilled out and joined by a cable. Someone purposely or accidently left them at event. When I went to log one in I was shocked that it had been missing for 3 years, both of them (but at the time I only noticed one of them) I contacted the owner and returned it, that's when I found out about the other one. Recently found a TB left in in one of the oldest caches in California. Others thought it was swag so it sat there for a few years. And some of my missing ones turned up. Some by accident because they were maybe forgotten in a bottom of a back pack. Or hoarders. Or just some collecters who got bored or tried to sell them only to find out by the buyers they were someone elses. Anything can happen. Like one I gave my sister who sent it on a quest to me only to get burned up in a San Diego forest fire. Hope yours turn up again.

But if you haven't already done it, move it out of the cache where it was lost so others don't keep seeing it. I move mine to one of my archived caches just in case.

Edited by jellis

I'm not clear whether this is your own geocoin that's been taken, or somebody else's.

I feel it's up to the coin's owners to do the chasing up of where there coin might be. I think the most you can do is post a note to the coin's page with the details of what's written in the log book, then leave the detective work up to them.

When one of my trackables goes missing I leave myself short notes on the item's page to remind myself of such details, and also of when I send a 'polite reminder email', or any other action I've taken to try and get it moving again.

MrsB :)