111 finds on 11/11/11

2 of us plan on going to Florence, SC. on 11/11/11 to attempt to find 111 caches. Just wondering if by looking at the map of the city if you guys think its possible. Will surely start in the large congestion of caches in the shopping mall area. Its a busy city, a lot of traffic so I was thinking about walking for those hides first, its about 30-40 caches there alone.

2 of us plan on going to Florence, SC. on 11/11/11 to attempt to find 111 caches. Just wondering if by looking at the map of the city if you guys think its possible. Will surely start in the large congestion of caches in the shopping mall area. Its a busy city, a lot of traffic so I was thinking about walking for those hides first, its about 30-40 caches there alone.

I could tell you I spent a few days in Florence, SC when I was about 12 years old so my parents could buy dirt cheap Dentures, but that's probably way too much information. :anibad:

I don't know man, looks pretty tough. There's a large concentration near the mall, but it's pretty deceiving, as a lot of them are smalls and regulars along a heavily wooded rails to trails. The other highest concentration in the City all appear to be in the woods too. The FLAT trail I think it is? As is a cache dense Lynch River County Park South of the City.

yeah Mr. Yuck, thats what I was thinking. Thanks for taking the time to check it out, its the neariest city to me that I haven't been to yet, so its the best chance I have, unless I went to charlotte, but thats 1.5 hours away, and I am not familar with the city. I think we will give it a good try anyways.

we might hit lynches river if we get near our goal, several of those caches are canoe/kayak required caches...

Edited by TheLoneGrangers

Hey LoneGrangers, Can you? Maybe. But if you're set on 111 then I suggest avoiding Florence. The cache concentration is not the greatest.

When planning for a power run I run a PQ for 2/2 and under within a ten mile radius. I would want at least 300 (preferably much more) to have a successful run. The reason I want so many is because you eliminate a lot while doing research due to DNFs, distance from parking (any more than 200 ft is risky), location (anything in a park or woods is taken out), etc. We always try to plan for 20% over so 135 would be a good number to plan (inevitably you will have DNFs). I would look at Greenville or Charlotte. Both have the concentration of park and grabs to make a quick easy run. Let me know if you have questions. Hope to see yall this weekend!

grrrr you are right Ike! But I don't want to drive to greenville or charlotte! lol I may just have too suck it up and go to greenville. We will be at geofest tonight and will be leaving in the AM we have a wedding to go to. family comes before geocaching....unforunately lol

Here's the deal you may be able to squeek out 111 in Camden/Florence. Especially if you have a lot around Columbia as well. But I think it would take a lot longer (16 hours). While if you do some advance planning you could easily do 111 in Charlotte or Greenville/Spartanburg. Both of them you could do in a 9 hour run. So yes it adds a little drive time but it saves a lot of cache time. Plus Charlotte and Greenville/Spratanburg have some creative park and grabs that you'll come across.

Sounds like your set on 111, but I would probably change it up and grab 11 before breakfast, another 11 before dinner and the final 11 before packing it in for the night. But that's just me. I would think if you are dead set on 111 in a not so dense area, you should eliminate all D&T above 1.5 and see what you get. Maybe take a look at 2s if they are concentrated. Have fun!