Boy scouts and geocaching

teamatkins1

We have a new boy scout troop in Arlington tx, they are boys with disabilities, they want to learn about geocaching and go out to find some, is anyone in this area able to visit with rhe boys and explain it to them and maybe go out with them to find some and hide one of their own? There are 5 boys in the troop.

We have a new boy scout troop in Arlington tx, they are boys with disabilities, they want to learn about geocaching and go out to find some, is anyone in this area able to visit with the boys and explain it to them and maybe go out with them to find some and hide one of their own? There are 5 boys in the troop.

Hiding one of their own sounds problematic. First the Terms of Agreement specify that users of this site are 18 years or older. Second, how will the boys maintain the cache? I think children need adult supervision and an adult who will responsible for maintaining the cache in a timely manner. Will the Scout Leader create an account, post the cache hide and maintain the listing and physical cache? A cache hide by a geocaching Scout leader with a good track record for maintaining caches should work out nicely.

Then again, just finding caches should be quite a nice adventure and learning experience.

We have a new boy scout troop in Arlington tx, they are boys with disabilities, they want to learn about geocaching and go out to find some, is anyone in this area able to visit with the boys and explain it to them and maybe go out with them to find some and hide one of their own? There are 5 boys in the troop.

Hiding one of their own sounds problematic. First the Terms of Agreement specify that users of this site are 18 years or older. Second, how will the boys maintain the cache? I think children need adult supervision and an adult who will responsible for maintaining the cache in a timely manner. Will the Scout Leader create an account, post the cache hide and maintain the listing and physical cache? A cache hide by a geocaching Scout leader with a good track record for maintaining caches should work out nicely.

Then again, just finding caches should be quite a nice adventure and learning experience.

Well there is the Geocaching merit badge. So Scouts all over the country are setting up Geocaches to earn that badge. All of whom are under 18. Once you hit 18 you are no longer a scout.

Hiding one of their own sounds problematic. First the Terms of Agreement specify that users of this site are 18 years or older.

I was going to challenge this statement, but it is correct....from the Terms of Use:

By using the Site, you represent and warrant that you are 18 years of age or older. If we believe that you are under 18 years of age, please be advised that your account may be terminated without warning.

Again, from the terms of use:

To post in the Groundspeak Discussion Forums, you must be 18 years or older, or under the supervision of your parent or legal guardian.

So, sounds like to use the site, you must be 18 years of age, BUT you may post in the Groundspeak Forums with parental supervision if under 18. Quite the conundrum.

So, how are Boy Scouts (under 18) using the site without violating the TOU? Good question. Boy Scouts are supposed to be honest, after all :unsure:

Seems like it should be stated that "under the supervision of your parent or legal guardian" should apply to the Geocaching site itself as well as the Groundspeak Forums, yes?

Yes an adult will be in charge of everything, the boys will get to fill the box and help with the hide. I will take care of everything else, thanks for the input

Hiding one of their own sounds problematic. First the Terms of Agreement specify that users of this site are 18 years or older.

I was going to challenge this statement, but it is correct....from the Terms of Use:

By using the Site, you represent and warrant that you are 18 years of age or older. If we believe that you are under 18 years of age, please be advised that your account may be terminated without warning.

Again, from the terms of use:

To post in the Groundspeak Discussion Forums, you must be 18 years or older, or under the supervision of your parent or legal guardian.

I am way over 18 and I will be doing the logging of everything, they will just be helping make and hide, they will always have adults with them

So, sounds like to use the site, you must be 18 years of age, BUT you may post in the Groundspeak Forums with parental supervision if under 18. Quite the conundrum.

So, how are Boy Scouts (under 18) using the site without violating the TOU? Good question. Boy Scouts are supposed to be honest, after all :unsure:

Seems like it should be stated that "under the supervision of your parent or legal guardian" should apply to the Geocaching site itself as well as the Groundspeak Forums, yes?

Yes an adult will be in charge of everything, the boys will get to fill the box and help with the hide. I will take care of everything else, thanks for the input

Please make a firm committment going in that you will maintain the cache for the life of the cache, though. Scout caches, while a great idea, generally don't fare very well in the maintenance area. Scouts grow up and move on, and the scout leaders often move on, as well. There is quite a thread here somewhere that speaks about that.

The Boy Scouts Geocaching Merit Badge manual states this pretty much everywhere - that you should only come to the site/create an account with the permission and supervision of a parent or other responsible adult.

The Boy Scouts Geocaching Merit Badge manual states this pretty much everywhere - that you should only come to the site/create an account with the permission and supervision of a parent or other responsible adult.

Related thread 'Scout Troop Caches' http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=241532&st=150

Excellent. Nice to hear. :) Cache ownership is a responsibility that shouldn't be taken lightly and should be handled by someone willing and able to maintain a cache in a timely fashion. Someone who will read and follow guidelines, maintain the cache listing, post accurate coordinates, regularly read their email for logs that indicate any trouble with the cache or cache location and finally remove the cache and archive the listing when necessary.

Edited by Lone R

Here's a cache by a scout troop:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=42d28614-5387-4538-97a5-8a25c0bd3766

There are many more; this is just one that I found.

Yes, there are many more and it's a wonderful thing. I own three, two of which I adopted. One of them is the second cache placed in Arizona. I wish the best to the OP in supporting Geocaching with the scout troop.