New cache/edit submission page

cain mosni

That's it. After a year of enjoying this passtime, and in particular this site, I've had it with this recent raft of Javascript based development. Not only that, but check boxes have been snuck in to signify agreement to the latest terms and conditions - i.e. every time you make an edit or a new submission, unless you read the t&c every time, who knows what you're agreeing to each time? I was going to submit a minor correction to a cache this afternoon, but not at that rate.

This was a good site when it was simple and functional when I joined it in July last year. Not any more.

So, that's it. Final nail in the coffin. If I carry on caching at all, it'll be through another site that geocaching.com tries its best to pretend doesn't exist.

quote:
So, that's it. Final nail in the coffin. If I carry on caching at all, it'll be through another site that geocaching.com tries its best to pretend doesn't exist.

Once you've found both caches listed over there, you'll come back here.

Geez, its really hard checking those two little boxes!!! Two mouse clicks. Oh, the horror!

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

You know, it really should only be required for the initial reporting. It reminds me of the "Are you sure" dialogues of the past.

"You want to delete? Y/N"

"Are you sure you want to delete? Type YES to confirm"

"Okay, I'm going to delete, but are you really, really sure? Enter code DKX54JMG8 to confirm"

"Nah, I don't think you really want to delete. Canceling."

72057_2000.gif

I admit its an annoyance, but a really minor one as far as things go. It certainly won't stop me from geocaching, or cause me to use another site.

I'm so used to it now, I just check the boxes automatically.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

I don't really have an opinion on the ToS issue yet, as I haven't read them. I do have an opinion on the JavaScript issue, though.

I believe that all web programming should be browser-independant. Granted, most browsers in use support JS pretty uniformly, but not all. Try opening a javascript: link with a *nix-based text browser (and yes, people still use them regularly).

I don't see a problem with using JS when it won't affect those that can't support it, but when a particular technology - above and beyond rendering HTML - is required to view a site, then the site has taken a turn for the worse.

Groundspeak/Geocaching.com should be particularly sensitive to these issues, due to the mobile nature of the game. People will often access the GC site using their PDAs, which don't often have the CPU power or memory capabilities to support much technology beyond simply rendering HTML and displaying graphics.

I suppose it could be worse. They could be using vbscript instead of javascript, forcing you to use IE...

--

Pehmva!

Random quote:

sigimage.php

Though I agree with Sissy-n-CR that they should only apply to the original submission, I wouldnt mind checking the boxes each time if I knew that the t&c hadnt changed. Simply adding a "Last updated on <date>" line on the same page as the check boxes would go a long ways.

Without some indication that they had changed, a person has to a) read them each time, or :D blindly trust that they havnt changed (or blindly accept the changes). Though I dont pass through this page often, Im not really interested in reading them each time I do. And, in this time of growth for gc (not to mention the frequency of litigation in this country) I would expect their lawyers to make changes fairly often so Im not going to blindly agree to them either.

Just my one cents worth (inflation you know...icon_wink.gif

------------------------------------------------

The world is a playground. Go outside and play!

------------------------------------------------

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

I'm so used to it now, I just check the boxes automatically.

Exactly my point. You habitually agree to things without checking what it is you're agreeing to, or whether they've changed. Anything could get snuck in there, and you'd be bound by it.

Enjoy your life as a commodity when Jeremy sells out.

Personally, I dont think the check boxes go far enough. Unless you are one of those people who have found 10 caches in a year yet dump 10 trash caches a week wherever they go, how hard is it to read what you are agreeing to when you submit a cache? I bet the avg geocacher only hides a few caches a year, or less. Especially the guidelines for hiding a cache, I think the site should force you to read thru them and click a check at the bottom of the guidelines page before allowing you to submit a cache. It's gotta be at least once a week, some #@$$% is posting a thread complaining that his cache was declined and Jeremy and the approvers are a bunch of nazis, and then later, when the facts come out, we usually find his cache wasn't approved because it was buried on railroad tracks in a National Park 50ft from another cache or something like that. It's so obvious that even with the checkmarks, lots of people that are submitting caches have not read the guidelines. If they did, we wouldn't even really NEED the approvers to review each cache.

"(Mopar is) good to have around and kick. Like an ugly puppy" - Jeremy