Cache log questions

Jamie Z

When I finally get around to posting my logs for PaterQuest, I'd like to make them into sort of a travelogue, with links from each log to the next, similar in fashion to my logs for my bicycle cache trip of July 1.

Originally, I had set up those logs so that at the end of each narrative, there was a link leading directly to the next log of the series.

The procedure for doing this, I learned, is to use the URL for the cache page (i.e. http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=21932) and then add your LID (Log ID [?]) to the end, such as: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=21932#503571 will take you straight to my log on that page.

What I've found though, is that once the log reaches the second page (you know, the view them all on one page link on the bottom of the cache page) the direct link to the log no longer works, but instead only takes you to the top of the cache page.

Does anyone know how to link directly to a log that is not on the first page of the cache page?

Also, is there a way to add a sound to my log entry? Believe it or not, I've got a rather interesting recording that I'd like to add to one of my logs, rather than a photo.

Thanks for any help.

Jamie

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Z:

The procedure for doing this, I learned, is to use the URL for the cache page [ ... ] and then add your LID (Log ID [?]) to the end

How does one obtain the LID?

----------

"Wan't" and "differen't" are not words.

Azog,

Go to a cache page where you've got a log, and mouse over the the links that say [edit], [delete] or [encrypt], now look at the bottom of your browser (I'm assuming IE) the link shown when you mouseover will read something like: blahblahblahid=####&LID=#####. That's the LID for your log.

Jamie

Another question:

I've attempted to put a

I'm not totally familiar with HTML, so maybe I'm missing something. How can I create a table inside a cache log that doesn't have those empty lines?

Also, regarding uploading a sound file... I've done a bit of playing around, and I've learned that you can upload a .wav file and it will play... it shows up as "not an image" on the cache page, but the link will play the sound...

Jamie

quote:

Anyone know about the

Jamie

[This message was edited by Jamie Z on August 24, 2002 at 09:15 PM.]

Works fine for me. I just edited an old log of mine and added this to the end...

Test

Didn't get any blank lines above or below when I went back to view the page.

---------------------------------------

Friends don't let friends NOT geocache.

---------------------------------------

I don't get it.

I cut-n-pasted your little test, and it worked fine for me, too... I even expanded your short table and added a couple of more rows and columns of data and it worked fine, too.

But the table in my PaterQuest logs (still in testing) show up with a large empty space above them.

Hmmm...

Ok... now I've gotten it to work. I took out a couple of my carriage returns in the source file, and that seems to do the trick.

Thanks for the help, SkyDiver.

Jamie

quote:

Go to a cache page where you've got a log, and mouse over the the links that say _[edit], [delete] or [encrypt]_, now look at the bottom of your browser (I'm assuming IE) the link shown when you mouseover will read something like: blahblahblahid=####__&LID=#####__. That's the LID for your log.

I don't suppose there's a way to get the LID for someone else's log, unless there's a picture attached?

migo_sig_logo.jpg

DP.. not that I'm aware, and I've given this some thought.

I don't think the LID is priveledged information, nor does knowledge of the LID give the opportunity for malicious behavior, so I don't think there would be a problem asking that user to check for a specific LID for you. Of course, that's a really round-about way to get the information.

Jamie

quote:
Originally posted by dinoprophet:

I don't suppose there's a way to get the LID for someone else's log, unless there's a picture attached?

I just figured out a way! If you view the HTML source for a cache page, the LIDs are contained within a NAME tag, like this:

This tag comes between the log's date and the HREF tag for the user's name.

No malicious intent in my question, BTW, just wanted to point someone to some interesting logs. icon_smile.gif

migo_sig_logo.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by dinoprophet:

I just figured out a way! If you view the HTML source for a cache page, the LIDs are contained within a NAME tag, like this:

This tag comes between the log's date and the HREF tag for the user's name.

No malicious intent in my question, BTW, just wanted to point someone to some interesting logs. icon_smile.gif

migo_sig_logo.jpg