For the love of.......please STOP Lamp Post Caches

AmishHacker

I used to try to be discrete in finding them, but now frankly I don't bother much with stealth. I'll walk right up with someone standing there and make all the noise I care to. Much less suspicious that way, plus I figure I'm matching the effort that was expended in placing the cache.

That seems unnecessarily rude. I haven't placed skirt lifters before, but if I were a new hider getting my feet wet with LPCs, I'd be dismayed about cachers with such a cavalier and destructive attitude. Rather than openly risk muggling the cache, why not send the CO an encouraging email similar to "nice entry into hiding caches, I look forward to more creative hides in the future!"

:P I think that wording might be dangerously ambiguous! :lol:

:laughing: very good point...

I used to try to be discrete in finding them, but now frankly I don't bother much with stealth. I'll walk right up with someone standing there and make all the noise I care to. Much less suspicious that way, plus I figure I'm matching the effort that was expended in placing the cache.

Frankly, I don't believe that you agree with what you just posted. I seriously doubt that any adult would believe that you could make such a find with someone standing right there and expect them to not take notice.

I rather believe that your entire reason for doing this is summed up in the bolded bit. Based on that bit, I think that you feel that these caches are unworthy and don't care if you contribute to their being muggled or worse. Regardless of the how that behavior effects the cache owner, I think that is is very rude to ruin the fun for future seekers who enjoy these caches with such irresponsible behavior.

I further believe that the bolded bit is incorrect. The cache owner almost certainly tried to make the hide without drawing undue attention so his cache wouldn't get muggled. Therefore, you aren't even coming close to 'matching the cache owner's effort'.

I would hope that you come to the belief that since you didn't like these caches that you could just pass them up and not ruin things for others.

Edited by sbell111

Frankly, I don't believe that you agree with what you just posted. I seriously doubt that any adult would believe that you could make such a find with someone standing right there and expect them to not take notice.

I rather believe that your entire reason for doing this is summed up in the bolded bit. Based on that bit, I think that you feel that these caches are unworthy and don't care if you contribute to their being muggled or worse. Regardless of the how that behavior effects the cache owner, I think that is is very rude to ruin the fun for future seekers who enjoy these caches with such irresponsible behavior.

I further believe that the bolded bit is incorrect. The cache owner almost certainly tried to make the hide without drawing undue attention so his cache wouldn't get muggled. Therefore, you aren't even coming close to 'matching the cache owner's effort'.

I would hope that you come to the belief that since you didn't like these caches that you could just pass them up and not ruin things for others.

A couple of thoughts, first from the guidelines section of the knowledge books:

"Select an appropriate location and container. Think about how your container and the actions of geocachers seeking it will be perceived by the public. Although your geocache will be hidden with landowner permission, concerned passersby who are unaware of geocaching may view people searching the property as suspicious. For example, a geocacher will likely be wrongly suspected of being malicious if a cache is hidden in full view of an office or apartment windows."

I'm guessing this is targeted mostly at those placements that might be perceived as a bomb, but the middle of a parking lot potentially qualifies.

Second point is that "muggles" (never liked the term myself) are just cachers in waiting who don't know about it yet. I've had some great conversations with folks who wondered what the heck I was doing. Hopefully most of them looked into it after seeing it in action. I can't point to one instance of a cache being stolen after one of my "open" searches. I maintain it's much less suspicious than lurking around with furtive glances to see who is watching.

As far as the effort goes - shoving a slip of paper in a plastic bag (many with no note or other outward sign of the container being a geocache) isn't terribly taxing both in terms of time and effort. Again, I'm not talking about all LPC's, just (in my experience) the vast majority.

Just playing the game my way...

Not a big fan. I'm not against LPC's, but more against crappy caches in general. Sure there are many exceptions to the rule, but frankly most LPC's are low quality junk that are poorly planned, generally placed without explicit permission, and thrown out there without much thought. I too recall being amazed by the first one I saw back in July 2003 - the wow factor wore off quickly though.

The bigger problem in my mind is that it's become the new accepted "normal" - the low entry cost, numbers generating potential, and relative staying power of these caches makes them an attractive option for many. Unfortunately, imitation isn't usually very flattering. I had a very brief conversation with someone who must have attempted caching at some point in the past describe it as "that game where you find film cannisters in lightpoles." Kinda sad...

That said, banning LPC's isn't going to do a thing. They will continue to exist no matter what is said about them. One can only hope that the poor quality ones are not imitated and ultimately die a slow death.

Then how would you suggest populating a suburban area filled with housing developments and strip mall with caches. I certainly understand that there are times where creative hides and containers can be achieved but from what I can see already that is pretty stuff in these kind of areas.

I live in a pretty interesting area where everything north of me is quaint towns, parks, and rural areas but south of me is all suburban sprawl. Interestingly I spend most of my GC time going north but if were up to you and the other "non-creative" cache haters there wouldn't be any caches south.

I think more to the point that some people need to understand that the game is bigger than the individuals. Just like life there are going to be things about the game you are going to love, hate, and just be okay with. And what one person loves another person may hate.

There are people who live in suburban or urban areas who have small children and can't go on 10 mile hikes, or search for 40 minutes for a nano. Then there are people who are single, live in Colorado, work part time and would prefer never even to see a parking lot let alone an LPC.

It's all good.

EDIT: And this permission thing really boggles my mind. What percentage of caches actually have permission??? I could be wrong but did I miss it that somebody got approval from the BLM, national park system, and every state and municipality, to place containers on their property???

Edited by Dinellafamily

Not a big fan. I'm not against LPC's, but more against crappy caches in general. Sure there are many exceptions to the rule, but frankly most LPC's are low quality junk that are poorly planned, generally placed without explicit permission, and thrown out there without much thought. I too recall being amazed by the first one I saw back in July 2003 - the wow factor wore off quickly though.

The bigger problem in my mind is that it's become the new accepted "normal" - the low entry cost, numbers generating potential, and relative staying power of these caches makes them an attractive option for many. Unfortunately, imitation isn't usually very flattering. I had a very brief conversation with someone who must have attempted caching at some point in the past describe it as "that game where you find film cannisters in lightpoles." Kinda sad...

That said, banning LPC's isn't going to do a thing. They will continue to exist no matter what is said about them. One can only hope that the poor quality ones are not imitated and ultimately die a slow death.

Then how would you suggest populating a suburban area filled with housing developments and strip mall with caches. I certainly understand that there are times where creative hides and containers can be achieved but from what I can see already that is pretty stuff in these kind of areas.

Who says that areas like that should have caches?

I've recently decided that whenever I see "This area needed a cache" on a cache page, it's a clue that I should skip that cache.

I live in a pretty interesting area where everything north of me is quaint towns, parks, and rural areas but south of me is all suburban sprawl. Interestingly I spend most of my GC time going north but if were up to you and the other "non-creative" cache haters there wouldn't be any caches south.

I think more to the point that some people need to understand that the game is bigger than the individuals. Just like life there are going to be things about the game you are going to love, hate, and just be okay with. And what one person loves another person may hate.

There are people who live in suburban or urban areas who have small children and can't go on 10 mile hikes, or search for 40 minutes for a nano. Then there are people who are single, live in Colorado, work part time and would prefer never even to see a parking lot let alone an LPC.

It's all good.

EDIT: And this permission thing really boggles my mind. What percentage of caches actually have permission??? I could be wrong but did I miss it that somebody got approval from the BLM, national park system, and every state and municipality, to place containers on their property???

I may be a heretic but why does each housing development and strip mall need a cache? I'm perfectly OK without more quantity if it means more quality.

I'm not railing against LPC's per se, but I guess I am using them as a proxy for all the crappy caches out there. Place a strip mall cache if you must, but at least make it interesting (it doesn't even have to be creative)!!!

One of the best parking lot caches I ever saw was a plain old container hidden inside a 25 cent kid's horse ride in front of WalMart. Felt like a proctologist while making the find, given the entrance to searching within the horse, but it was certainly interesting.

Lol, hmmm, I am thinking of word here that begins with an e, ends with a t, and has an litis in the middle.

What kind of question is that? Why do you ask it? Do you not think there should be caches in an area like that? Did I miss somewhere in the FAQ that caches should only be in a specific urban, suburban, or rural area??

It's all good.

I may be a heretic but why does each housing development and strip mall need a cache? I'm perfectly OK without more quantity if it means more quality.

I'm not railing against LPC's per se, but I guess I am using them as a proxy for all the crappy caches out there. Place a strip mall cache if you must, but at least make it interesting (it doesn't even have to be creative)!!!

One of the best parking lot caches I ever saw was a plain old container hidden inside a 25 cent kid's horse ride in front of WalMart. Felt like a proctologist while making the find, given the entrance to searching within the horse, but it was certainly interesting.

I never said every development and strip mall had to had them. I am not saying you have to have 100 caches in a 1 square mile area. I just said that LPC, guard rails, and bisons in pines, fit a suburban area like that. They deserve a place in the game. I agree more creativity is better but if I am just starting GC and live in one of the areas those caches are great.

I may sound passionate about this because this is exactly what happen to me. First day of GCing was an LPC, guard rail, and Bison Tube in a pine tree. Within a week I was making 20 minute bushwacking treks with my 3.5 year old and wife. That is awesome stuff.

Not a big fan. I'm not against LPC's, but more against crappy caches in general. Sure there are many exceptions to the rule, but frankly most LPC's are low quality junk that are poorly planned, generally placed without explicit permission, and thrown out there without much thought. ...

... plus I figure I'm matching the effort that was expended in placing the cache.

Quite frankly I am sick of people here claiming to know how little effort people have put into placing a cache. I suppose there are some caches that are litteraly throughn into a bush, but I believe that 98.2% of caches are placed with significant thought and effort. Even a basic cache requires the cacher to go to a photo lab to get a 35mm film canister, go to geocaching-u to print of a log sheet. Building some sort of attachment device, putting effort into getting good coordinates, then builing a cache page.

I think it is a little rude to show such distain for others people's effort.

PS i don't see very 35mm caches anymore.

Not a big fan. I'm not against LPC's, but more against crappy caches in general. Sure there are many exceptions to the rule, but frankly most LPC's are low quality junk that are poorly planned, generally placed without explicit permission, and thrown out there without much thought. ...

... plus I figure I'm matching the effort that was expended in placing the cache.

Quite frankly I am sick of people here claiming to know how little effort people have put into placing a cache. I suppose there are some caches that are litteraly throughn into a bush, but I believe that 98.2% of caches are placed with significant thought and effort. Even a basic cache requires the cacher to go to a photo lab to get a 35mm film canister, go to geocaching-u to print of a log sheet. Building some sort of attachment device, putting effort into getting good coordinates, then builing a cache page.

I think it is a little rude to show such distain for others people's effort.

PS i don't see very 35mm caches anymore.

I happen to think it's rude to put out crappy caches and then rely on other cachers to maintain them for you. I'm glad you may have a different experience, but it's not been mine.

Rarely have I run across a LPC that has a printed GC explanation page much less a log that isn't reverting to mush. True 35mm containers are few and far between these days, but many of the alternatives are worse. I get the sense that the oft lifted cover is expected to convey some magical barrier to water intrusion?

I think using LPC as the whipping boy for what you think are crappy caches is not a particularly good strategy for improving cache quality.

The reality is that the lamppost skirt is a particularly good hiding place. Unlike the kiddie ride horse with the cache in its behind, caches in lampposts can often be found without looking silly or suspicious. Even if your are non-stealthy and just march up and lift up the skirt, others in the parking lot might just ignore what you are doing. Perhaps they think you are recovering your drug stash or are a spy leaving a dead-drop; but these are somewhat less likely to be phoned in as bomb threats than a regular size container hidden need the store entrance. The fact is that LPC can and often do outlast other types of urban and suburban hides. They are also relatively easy to maintain. If someone doesn't find it, the cache owner can just drive over and replace the cache. Try that with a cache that requires a 5 mile hike. Most people actually feel the first time they find an LPC that this is a clever way to hide a cache. This is probably why it gets repeated so often.

Are parking lots at strip malls and big box retailers the greatest place for a cache? There are certainly those who view caching as an outdoors activity akin to hiking or mountain biking. They prefer caches hidden in natural areas. Still, even these cachers seem to find time to look for caches closer to home that don't require long hikes. They may prefer public parks or other public space to a parking lot though. Other cacher are more urban or suburban creatures. They aren't comparing these cache to ones in the woods, because frankly they don't care to go in the woods. It possible that they may feel the better caches are still ones in parks or public spaces. Or they may just like be brought someplace that is interesting for reason other than it has a cache. But I suspect there are still a few who don't care where the cache is, they just want more caches to find. While some say the prefer quality over quantity, that is not necessarily true for everybody. Some cachers do like having lots of caches to find, and preferably ones they can drive to. The LPC is most often in a place with plenty of parking so it serves that purpose well too.

Lol, hmmm, I am thinking of word here that begins with an e, ends with a t, and has an litis in the middle.

What kind of question is that? Why do you ask it? Do you not think there should be caches in an area like that? Did I miss somewhere in the FAQ that caches should only be in a specific urban, suburban, or rural area??

I think the word that you are looking for is "ELITIST". I normally try to respond politely, but I don't like being called names, so forget that. You are right... I don't think there needs to be caches in areas like that. Why do they need to exist? My opinion does not need an FAQ any more than yours does. Did I miss the FAQ that said that caches need to be placed anywhere there is an empty spot?

I think using LPC as the whipping boy for what you think are crappy caches is not a particularly good strategy for improving cache quality.

The reality is that the lamppost skirt is a particularly good hiding place. Unlike the kiddie ride horse with the cache in its behind, caches in lampposts can often be found without looking silly or suspicious. Even if your are non-stealthy and just march up and lift up the skirt, others in the parking lot might just ignore what you are doing. Perhaps they think you are recovering your drug stash or are a spy leaving a dead-drop; but these are somewhat less likely to be phoned in as bomb threats than a regular size container hidden need the store entrance. The fact is that LPC can and often do outlast other types of urban and suburban hides. They are also relatively easy to maintain. If someone doesn't find it, the cache owner can just drive over and replace the cache. Try that with a cache that requires a 5 mile hike. Most people actually feel the first time they find an LPC that this is a clever way to hide a cache. This is probably why it gets repeated so often.

Are parking lots at strip malls and big box retailers the greatest place for a cache? There are certainly those who view caching as an outdoors activity akin to hiking or mountain biking. They prefer caches hidden in natural areas. Still, even these cachers seem to find time to look for caches closer to home that don't require long hikes. They may prefer public parks or other public space to a parking lot though. Other cacher are more urban or suburban creatures. They aren't comparing these cache to ones in the woods, because frankly they don't care to go in the woods. It possible that they may feel the better caches are still ones in parks or public spaces. Or they may just like be brought someplace that is interesting for reason other than it has a cache. But I suspect there are still a few who don't care where the cache is, they just want more caches to find. While some say the prefer quality over quantity, that is not necessarily true for everybody. Some cachers do like having lots of caches to find, and preferably ones they can drive to. The LPC is most often in a place with plenty of parking so it serves that purpose well too.

Well put.

Good point, but how do we improve quality?

I assert that education is the way to go. Visual learning and experience are powerful tools in one's caching education. New cachers in particular may see these hides and assume that's the way the game is played and go away wondering what all the fuss is about (like my earlier cited example conversation with the individual whose take away was caching = LPC's). Fortunately some like Dinellafamily make the leap beyond. Those few who make their way to the forums might learn of the faction who don't care for them via threads like this.

I believe quality caches beget more quality caches and crappy caches beget more of the same. Set the bar low and we get what's coming to us.

Good point, but how do we improve quality?

I assert that education is the way to go. Visual learning and experience are powerful tools in one's caching education. New cachers in particular may see these hides and assume that's the way the game is played and go away wondering what all the fuss is about (like my earlier cited example conversation with the individual whose take away was caching = LPC's). Fortunately some like Dinellafamily make the leap beyond. Those few who make their way to the forums might learn of the faction who don't care for them via threads like this.

I believe quality caches beget more quality caches and crappy caches beget more of the same. Set the bar low and we get what's coming to us.

Lets start using crappy caches as the whipping boy for what we think are LPCs.

I think the word that you are looking for is "ELITIST". I normally try to respond politely, but I don't like being called names, so forget that. You are right... I don't think there needs to be caches in areas like that. Why do they need to exist? My opinion does not need an FAQ any more than yours does. Did I miss the FAQ that said that caches need to be placed anywhere there is an empty spot?

Once again I don't see anywhere where someone said there needed to be a cache in every open spot. I simply said that I find it nice that there are types of caches in suburban or urban areas.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion but when you post your opinion in an open forum you leave it open for discussion. And personally I believe your opinion is exclusive where the base intent of the game is to include and not exclude.

What I like about the game is that it is not restrictive to who plays it. You can be a world class hiker, climber, scuba diver who only goes for 5/5 caches. You can be a 40 year old single man who live with his parents and goes on speed runs for 100 cache days. Or you can be a mother trying to bond with her teenage daughter going for any caches they enjoy finding together.

Once again I don't see anywhere where someone said there needed to be a cache in every open spot. I simply said that I find it nice that there are types of caches in suburban or urban areas.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion but when you post your opinion in an open forum you leave it open for discussion. And personally I believe your opinion is exclusive where the base intent of the game is to include and not exclude.

What I like about the game is that it is not restrictive to who plays it. You can be a world class hiker, climber, scuba diver who only goes for 5/5 caches. You can be a 40 year old single man who live with his parents and goes on speed runs for 100 cache days. Or you can be a mother trying to bond with her teenage daughter going for any caches they enjoy finding together.

Open for discussion does not include calling me an elitist, no matter how you disguise it.

The only thing I've noticed is that geocaching didn't start in a parking lot and then had to move out into the woods due to lack of available hide locations. I think LPCs are convenient, accessible and popular. Like top 40 music. Here today, gone tomorrow and barely worth remembering.

On the flip side if you suggest that the historical (aka old) caches be archived and re-listed, people freak out.

Actually the majority of city caches aren't much more imaginative than LPC's so maybe we'll just ban city caches.

I got stung by a bee at a cache recently. Actually I got stung three times, so I'm definitely all for banning bee-sting caches.

Actually, I used to hate all drive-up caches, but then I injured myself and couldn't walk more than 50 feet for 3 months. At that point I was really glad we have drive-up caches and LPCs so I could still go caching.

(edited for speeling)

Edited by Sol seaker

Personally, I have no issue with "crappy" caches being shotgunned all around an urban setting. They're easy enough to ignore. If you have such disdain for them, why be so adamant about getting your name in the logbook? Just walk away.

Everytime I see an anti-micro or LPC thread, I just remember that while I'm busy climbing over rocks, walking through the woods, hiking to the top of a hill or crossing a stream to find a cache, there is someone just as happy to be rolling up in a wheelchair in a parking lot to find an LPC. No matter your caching style or the types of caches you prefer, there is plenty available to keep you happy. I don't see a need to take away caches from those who either can't or don't want to head into the woods to find geocaches.

Personally, I have no issue with "crappy" caches being shotgunned all around an urban setting. They're easy enough to ignore. If you have such disdain for them, why be so adamant about getting your name in the logbook? Just walk away.

Everytime I see an anti-micro or LPC thread, I just remember that while I'm busy climbing over rocks, walking through the woods, hiking to the top of a hill or crossing a stream to find a cache, there is someone just as happy to be rolling up in a wheelchair in a parking lot to find an LPC. No matter your caching style or the types of caches you prefer, there is plenty available to keep you happy. I don't see a need to take away caches from those who either can't or don't want to head into the woods to find geocaches.

+1

I accented 2 words above. I'm not wheelchair bound but I would hate to prune caches out of the game which work for those in wheelchairs.

A LOT of the caches I find in my area are these micros made from empty mint boxes. Not the metal Altoids boxes, these are plastic and resemble some cases I've see being sold at Geocaching web sites......I guess a photos works here...

frisk01.jpg

They're just big enough for a log and maybe a coin of some type, if it's not too big. Admittedly, I'm a little burned out on them, but every single one of them has been placed somewhere that I got so much more out of the adventure getting there, or being there, that the cache itself was just a bonus. Yeah, I'd like to find bigger caches with stuff in them, but, I will continue to go after these every chance I get. So far, I haven't really been let down.

MULLY

+1

I accented 2 words above. I'm not wheelchair bound but I would hate to prune caches out of the game which work for those in wheelchairs.

I would hate to prune out caches for those who can't leave their computer chairs. Oh wait, thank goodness for challenge caches :blink:

+1

Well, we've been hearing the ol' wheelchair line in every lame LPC thread ever, but that's the first time anyone ever dropped a size 5 font on it! :P Is that supposed to magnify the guilt trip factor on us alleged LPC haters? :o

Wheelchair bound Geocachers don't deserve a micro on a nice paved bike trail along a river or something? They should have to dodge cars in parking lots? And by the way, how many wheelchair bound geocachers have you met? I haven't met any in 8 years and 25 Geocaching events. I'm not saying there are none, but their numbers are infintesimally small. Puh-lease with the guilt trip and size 5 font. :D

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't notice until well after I posted that that Redfist isn't the poster who "dropped the size 5 font on us". Oops. :ph34r:

Edited by Mr.Yuck

+1

Well, we've been hearing the ol' wheelchair line in every lame LPC thread ever, but that's the first time anyone ever dropped a size 5 font on it! :P Is that supposed to magnify the guilt trip factor on us alleged LPC haters? :o

Wheelchair bound Geocachers don't deserve a micro on a nice paved bike trail along a river or something? They should have to dodge cars in parking lots? And by the way, how many wheelchair bound geocachers have you met? I haven't met any in 8 years and 25 Geocaching events. I'm not saying there are none, but their numbers are infintesimally small. Puh-lease with the guilt trip and size 5 font. :D

I have met some mobility impaired cachers, but never a wheelchair cacher.

+1

I have met some mobility impaired cachers, but never a wheelchair cacher.

Yes, several myself. Maybe even including myself. Oy vey, let me tell you about my hip bursitis. :huh:

And by the way, how many wheelchair bound geocachers have you met? I haven't met any in 8 years and 25 Geocaching events.

I've met a few and there a several regulars that post in these forums. And I appreciate easy to get to caches as well as caches hidden down paved walking trails or along board walks. Not all of us can go frolicking through the woods.

I guess you're right though. Since there are such an infinitesimally small number of us, why consider us in any of the arguments for or against anything? Better to just ignore us and treat us as if we do not exist. <_<

And by the way, how many wheelchair bound geocachers have you met? I haven't met any in 8 years and 25 Geocaching events.

I've met a few and there a several regulars that post in these forums. And I appreciate easy to get to caches as well as caches hidden down paved walking trails or along board walks. Not all of us can go frolicking through the woods.

I guess you're right though. Since there are such an infinitesimally small number of us, why consider us in any of the arguments for or against anything? Better to just ignore us and treat us as if we do not exist. <_<

Umm, no. The argument (to me) was saying that wheelchair bound geocachers need LPC's. And even inferred (to me again), that for every person out there climbing over rocks, there is a wheelchair bound Geocacher HAPPY to wheel up to an LPC. I also went on to mention a hypothetical wheelchair accessable micro on a paved bike trail next to a river. Seeing as the thread seems to be about banning LPC's, which we know isn't going to happen anyways.

P.S. I apologize for not being aware of your situation (and still am not, specifically). I was aware of the situation of another forum regular, and even considered them when making the post. I would not consider them to be bound (bolded for emphasis) to a wheelchair.

Edited by Mr.Yuck

I guess you're right though. Since there are such an infinitesimally small number of us, why consider us in any of the arguments for or against anything? Better to just ignore us and treat us as if we do not exist. dry.gif

Umm, no. The argument (to me) was saying that wheelchair bound geocachers need LPC's. And even inferred (to me again), that for every person out there climbing over rocks, there is a wheelchair bound Geocacher HAPPY to wheel up to an LPC. I also went on to mention a hypothetical wheelchair accessable micro on a paved bike trail next to a river. Seeing as the thread seems to be about banning LPC's, which we know isn't going to happen anyways.

I want to clarify my thoughts on this a bit, as I can see that my wording didn't really express the point I was trying to reach. First, I know that the number of "wheelchair bound" cachers is tiny, at least in comparison to able bodied cachers. I didn't mean to imply that there are hordes of wheelchair cachers racing around parking lots, snapping up LPC's as they go. What I meant was the same fun and satisfaction I get from geocaching (climbing over rocks and wading through streams), a person who struggles with a disability is just as happy to find a micro under a lampskirt or behind a guardrail or behind a sign along a paved path next to the river. We're both geocaching in ways that make us happy.

Really, catering to disabled cachers was only a small part of my argument. Mostly what I was driving at is this ever present desire by some to abolish micros/LPC's/nano's (pick your poison). I just don't understand that mindset. If you're someone that hates micros and wouldn't dream of doing them...fine, hate them all you like. Don't ever do them. But why must they be scrubbed from the maps just because you don't like/want them? I've heard the arguments time and again and it always boils down to the same thing "I don't like this kind of cache, let's get rid of it". Most lamp-post, guard-rail and urban micros fill locations that probably aren't going to be used for any other type of hide, so who or what are they hurting by being there? But, of course, to the person who hates them and wouldn't dream of doing them anyway, they simply have to go because they offend their caching sensibilities. I agree that most urban micros tend to be bland, boring hides that are there just to fill in the grid, but they serve their customers well.

handicaching.com

Yep. No disabled cachers. Not like they even have their own website or anything to help each other find the accessible caches.

Nope. None of them.

I'm sure when I injured my back so I couldn't walk more than 50 feet for 3 months, I was the only one who suddenly LOVED LPC's so I could keep caching.

That would have SUCKED 3 whole months without finding a cache.

Still using dialup?

LOL! There is some serious irony here, as a certain individual I know who happens to strongly dislike LPCs (and micros in general) actually is still using dialup. I usually have a faster connection on my phone out in the woods than he has at home. ;)

I don't understand why these threads are almost as common as LPCs themselves. I like LPCs, and guardrail caches, and I actually really like nanos. I also greatly enjoy long hikes in the woods, and caches way out in the desert, and challenging puzzles. I have little time for power trails and zero interest in virtuals and earthcaches (and trackables and swag for that matter), but I wouldn't say that they should be banned just because I don't care for them.

I like the fact that there is such a variety of caches. It makes it more interesting than it would be with fewer types. And for what it's worth, I have found a number of 'LPCs' with interesting twists to them.

I guess you're right though. Since there are such an infinitesimally small number of us, why consider us in any of the arguments for or against anything? Better to just ignore us and treat us as if we do not exist. dry.gif

I want to clarify my thoughts on this a bit, as I can see that my wording didn't really express the point I was trying to reach. First, I know that the number of "wheelchair bound" cachers is tiny, at least in comparison to able bodied cachers. I didn't mean to imply that there are hordes of wheelchair cachers racing around parking lots, snapping up LPC's as they go. What I meant was the same fun and satisfaction I get from geocaching (climbing over rocks and wading through streams), a person who struggles with a disability is just as happy to find a micro under a lampskirt or behind a guardrail or behind a sign along a paved path next to the river. We're both geocaching in ways that make us happy.

Really, catering to disabled cachers was only a small part of my argument. Mostly what I was driving at is this ever present desire by some to abolish micros/LPC's/nano's (pick your poison). I just don't understand that mindset. If you're someone that hates micros and wouldn't dream of doing them...fine, hate them all you like. Don't ever do them. But why must they be scrubbed from the maps just because you don't like/want them? I've heard the arguments time and again and it always boils down to the same thing "I don't like this kind of cache, let's get rid of it". Most lamp-post, guard-rail and urban micros fill locations that probably aren't going to be used for any other type of hide, so who or what are they hurting by being there? But, of course, to the person who hates them and wouldn't dream of doing them anyway, they simply have to go because they offend their caching sensibilities. I agree that most urban micros tend to be bland, boring hides that are there just to fill in the grid, but they serve their customers well.

That's a very nice post. I will respond later. Busy, busy, busy on a Saturday. That is if mean old anti-handicap Mr. Yuck isn't raked over the coals by multiple parties by then. :P

Does anyone around here care about editing previous posts to the relative content? You know what's worse than an LPC? 500 lines of quoted posts and then a 3 word reply. Come on, guys, it doesn't take much effort to highlight and delete what you don't need.

MULLY

Still using dialup?

OT:

I gotta say... it's really not about the dialup. It's about having to scroll through endless quotes to get to single comments, for example. It's much nicer to read if just the relevant bits of discussion are quoted with a response. Nothing to do with bandwidth. (no I'm not dialup :P )

It happens in every forum - people just quote and reply. quote and reply. quote and reply. One forum page ends up >10x longer than it needs to be, with little comments interspersed.

Pet peeve, really, more than any serious complaint ;)

/OT

Does anyone around here care about editing previous posts to the relative content? You know what's worse than an LPC? 500 lines of quoted posts and then a 3 word reply. Come on, guys, it doesn't take much effort to highlight and delete what you don't need.

MULLY

Still using dialup?

OT:

I gotta say... it's really not about the dialup. It's about having to scroll through endless quotes to get to single comments, for example. It's much nicer to read if just the relevant bits of discussion are quoted with a response. Nothing to do with bandwidth. (no I'm not dialup :P )

It happens in every forum - people just quote and reply. quote and reply. quote and reply. One forum page ends up >10x longer than it needs to be, with little comments interspersed.

/OT

+1

MULLY

Still using dialup?

OT:

/OT

+1

Yet you did exactly that yourself in the very post you wrote ti biatch about it. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Yeah, I quoted just to grind yer nerves :lol: :lol:

OK, I'm back. First of all, nice of Geobain to change his avatar for me. Now could he change his name to XXXRIPXXX for me? Thanks. :lol:

As I said before, thats a very nice well thought out post, which I read with great interest. All I am saying is, I don't like it when the mobility impaired Geocachers card gets thrown out to justify LPC's. And I used the phrase mobility impaired. whether it be confined to a wheelchair, use a wheelchair sometimes, walk with a cane, etc. Reason being that 25% of more of the caches in suburbia, USA, are LPC's. By that I'm talking about a busy suburb near a major city with boatloads of strip plaza's. Such as I live in, and have my whole life. Really? Handicapped cachers need 25%+ of the caches in such a location allegedly placed on their behalf?

handicaching.com

Yep. No disabled cachers. Not like they even have their own website or anything to help each other find the accessible caches.

Nope. None of them.

I'm sure when I injured my back so I couldn't walk more than 50 feet for 3 months, I was the only one who suddenly LOVED LPC's so I could keep caching.

That would have SUCKED 3 whole months without finding a cache.

Now that's just madcap and zany. Did I say there were no disabled cachers? Did I also not say I could be considered a disabled cacher myself with my hip bursitis? Actually though, the game started out with a bunch of ourdoorsy GPS geeks on usenet, and there were no handicap accessable caches. Well yeah, we could argue someone could roll up to the oldest active cache, Mingo, in a wheelchair. It's now a throw-down bison tube, by the way. :lol: Handicap acessable caches were hammered out right here in these forums. Which I know seeing as I found this early 2002 placed cache in New Jersey, and there's a link to the forum thread on the cache page. Looks like it's missing too, that sucks.

I have heard a number of times here from wheelchair-bound cachers that would totally disagree with the bolded part of your statement. In fact, some would find your suggestion at least a tad demeaning. HOWEVER... those are permanently wheelchair-bound people. I have also known a couple of cachers that were temporarily confined to wheelchairs that were thrilled to find caches that they could get to without going off pavement.

Because every cache, good or bad, sets an example for those to come. The more bad caches there are, the more bad caches there will be. I could elaborate further, but I'm sure you get my drift.

MULLY

Still using dialup?

OT:

/OT

+1

Oh, come on, now... you only did that so you could nest the quotes by one more layer! Cheap humor.

MULLY

Still using dialup?

OT:

/OT

+1

Oh, come on, now... you only did that so you could nest the quotes by one more layer! Cheap humor.

Well, it got the dog to bark.

I have heard a number of times here from wheelchair-bound cachers that would totally disagree with the bolded part of your statement. In fact, some would find your suggestion at least a tad demeaning. HOWEVER... those are permanently wheelchair-bound people. I have also known a couple of cachers that were temporarily confined to wheelchairs that were thrilled to find caches that they could get to without going off pavement.

Because every cache, good or bad, sets an example for those to come. The more bad caches there are, the more bad caches there will be. I could elaborate further, but I'm sure you get my drift.

Winner! Yes, the poster child for handicap accessible caches should not be in a parking lot, on private property without permission. The poster child should be along a paved bike trail next to a river. All I'm saying.

Edited. I guess poster child was not the best choice of words. Change that to gold standard or something. :ph34r:

Edited by Mr.Yuck