For the love of.......please STOP Lamp Post Caches

AmishHacker

I have seen a few topics on this but I just cannot hold it in any longer. Swarm of surprise wasps came after me this last week when trying to log a LPC. When Geocaching is not fun....I don't want to do it. I do not know of anything that can be more boring or unimaginative than these LPC's. I can see them coming a mile away and is always in a muggle rich area. All I do is try to look like I am not doing a drug drop off and not get stung.

I got stung by a bee last week at a church picnic. I'll not request the bannination of all future picnics because of this.

You joined 11 days after me in 2003. No, I didn't see any back then either, but when I said they probably had them in Nashville at that time, the locals there jumped all over me. :anibad:
I don't know why they jumped on you. The first LPC was placed in Nashville in August of 2002. It was a good cache. It still is.

Why not just not go for those caches?
How do you know it's one of "those caches" until you went there and found it?
The OP stated that he can see them coming 'a mile away'. That gives him plenty of time to abort the hunt if he doesn't like these. He would have even more time if he bothered to check a sat map. Edited by sbell111

Is this a real rant or just a very slick way of yet again patting yourself on the back for your CCC thread?

I found that question to be a bit rude, GeoBain. Why would it matter to you what his motive might be?

Ignoring the irony that you would make a statement like that since it's really like the pot calling the kettle black, the reason the motive would matter is because this is a hot topic item that gets rehashed all the time. It's guaranteed to light a fire storm of controversy.

If the OP has a genuine concern that just has to be expressed because he can't control himself from hunting caches he doesn't like, then so be it. We can always use some entertainment around here, though I don't think this particularly subject was on the calendar for Monday.

But if the OP is just starting a controversial thread so he can promote his cool containers thread, then I don't see it as rude to point out that possible alternative motive.

Well, is the whole tread really about banning them? Then I always pretty much considered the fact that almost all of them are on private property without permission, and published under a "wink, wink, nudge, nudge, look the other way policy" to be the trump card. :lol:

Yep...I agree. Actually, I thought the original post was a bit trollish. The damage to private property assertion is ridiculous. You are not damaging private property by moving a cowling that is designed to be lifted, unless you are lifting it with your car. The private property assertion has merit. Actually, the private property issue is interesting. We just take the CO word they have permission, as we wander round looking for caches. In some areas, that could be a big problem if permission has not actually given, and you wander into an illegal farm for example, looking for that prized ammo box. Maybe a solution is that if a cache is placed on private property the CO should be required to state in the cache description when and who gave permission. In the case of question when out looking, the seeker could say, "Permission was given on (Date) by (name of property owner). That might prevent some unpleasant conflicts, and give seekers a peace of mind.

Did not mean to be a troll :blink: The comment about damage is not ridiculous. I was referring to a cache that was placed under a skirt that was a very tight fit. Sure it might be designed to be lifted up....but not hundreds of times....and in the case I was talking about it WAS damaging the post.

How many cachers are going to hunt a cache and be a couple feet away and than decided to just not log it. I understand...I am a big boy....I can just not hunt them. I just do not want to see the sport over ran with them. Not saying they are now....plenty of other caches. Just opening a discussion that some people are obviously have strong opinions about.

Thanks again to everyone for posting. It is fun to learn other peoples opinions.

AmishHacker

I've had an LPC of mine be the cause for property drama. Some brilliant cachers couldn't figure out the skirt, and the plaza owner saw people playing around inside the lamp post, fiddling wires and cabling. Granted, that owner was rather paranoid about the plaza property as there had been criminal activity there previously, but 3 cache relocation, unbeknownst by me at the time all around the same property, eventually had me retire the listing because he was that proactive in watching for suspicious activity.

Whether it's damaging property or not, no matter how easy the hide may be, LPCs and parking lot caches are always risky, unless you have explicit permission.

How many cachers are going to hunt a cache and be a couple feet away and than decided to just not log it.

Hopefully the ones that feel strongly enough to rant about them would find the self control to turn around and ignore that smiley. It's really not hard to figure out that your compass is directing you to a parking lot.

How many cachers are going to hunt a cache and be a couple feet away and than decided to just not log it.

Hopefully the ones that feel strongly enough to rant about them would find the self control to turn around and ignore that smiley. It's really not hard to figure out that your compass is directing you to a parking lot.

I have 2 hides that are ON lamp posts but not IN (ie: not a skirt lifter). For me, these were a way to ease into hiding caches. I wanted to learn what was good/bad and not make mistakes later. Even though these are lamp post hides (magnetically attached to the pole camo style), I haven't gotten bad feedback about them. I did learn about GPS coord averaging to get a more reliable GZ which was a good thing. My later hides probably benefitted from the experience.

I don't mind when other people do skirt lifters, they may have reasons for doing so (they make LIKE them, they may be learning through them, etc.). Besides, sometimes those quick/easy finds can be a nice diversion when going to an appointment somewhere.

If you really dislike lamp post hides then stop looking for caches in parking lots!!! Seems pretty simple to avoid.

For the love of.............please STOP complaining about LPCs. Really...........these caches are here to stay. Some are good hides and some are not so good hides. Only you can control your own game(in Darth Vader voice) :laughing: . If you're not having fun you're doing it wrong. I'm kinda like some here, if you don't like them then don't find them. You don't have to find them all.

I neither hunt nor hide that style. But I need them. I need more of them hidden, and won't discourage people from finding nor hiding them. By extension, you need them, too. The reason is, I enjoy planning interesting hide styles, and I'm depending on you to think it's just another LPC. If they're banned or go out of favor, a unique creative cache style may disappear along with them. So keep 'em coming.

Next I am waiting for the thread about containers only Jesus would use.....

Yeah, but that would only lead into religion being spoken about on the forum being frowned upon. :mad:

Face it, as long as you have this many people doing something you're going to get every sort there is.

MULLY

Religion?.....I was referring to Jesus, my gardener. :rolleyes:

Well, then, it just moves into racism then.

MULLY

Not if that really is his gardener's name.

To meander off topic for a sec....my gardner's name is Tran. The Jesus the gardener comment was a response to Mully's in ability to find the sarcastic humor in my Jesus and containers comment. I thought I would lay another one out to see if he would bite...which he did. As I said, people take things WAY to serious at times.... If anyone is offended by either Jesus comments, I am sorry. Now back to the serious debate of the banning of LPC.

Well, is the whole tread really about banning them? Then I always pretty much considered the fact that almost all of them are on private property without permission, and published under a "wink, wink, nudge, nudge, look the other way policy" to be the trump card. :lol:

Well why not? The latest HQ video about mountain biking and caching clearly shows doing a cache that violates the guidelines by defacing property. Hey, if you can deface property and have your cache highlighted why not ignore the permission rule.

OMG OMG OMG. Major guideline violation. And not even one negative comment on the video page at YouTube. We can probably chalk that one up to the Journalist and Camerawoman being, umm, a Journalist and Camerawoman. :P

I have seen a few topics on this but I just cannot hold it in any longer. Swarm of surprise wasps came after me this last week when trying to log a LPC. When Geocaching is not fun....I don't want to do it. I do not know of anything that can be more boring or unimaginative than these LPC's. I can see them coming a mile away and is always in a muggle rich area. All I do is try to look like I am not doing a drug drop off and not get stung.

I got stung by a bee last week at a church picnic. I'll not request the bannination of all future picnics because of this.

OK, we've already had a "Jesus" reference, now this. LPC threads are controversial enough, no religious references, please. :lol:

You joined 11 days after me in 2003. No, I didn't see any back then either, but when I said they probably had them in Nashville at that time, the locals there jumped all over me. :anibad:
I don't know why they jumped on you. The first LPC was placed in Nashville in August of 2002. It was a good cache. It still is.

That was pretty recent, and was more of an LPC history thread. I think I probably said something more along the lines LPC's were well established in Nashville by the end of 2003.

Yep...I agree. Actually, I thought the original post was a bit trollish. The damage to private property assertion is ridiculous. You are not damaging private property by moving a cowling that is designed to be lifted, unless you are lifting it with your car. The private property assertion has merit. Actually, the private property issue is interesting. We just take the CO word they have permission, as we wander round looking for caches. In some areas, that could be a big problem if permission has not actually given, and you wander into an illegal farm for example, looking for that prized ammo box. Maybe a solution is that if a cache is placed on private property the CO should be required to state in the cache description when and who gave permission. In the case of question when out looking, the seeker could say, "Permission was given on (Date) by (name of property owner). That might prevent some unpleasant conflicts, and give seekers a peace of mind.

Nice post, thanks. Despite me saying no permission for almost all of them is the "trump card", I admit it's not as straightforward as it sounds. First the guidelines say "adequate permission", and there are people around here who will argue until they're blue in the face that no permission to hide a cache in store parking lot on private property is "adequate permission". Second, the owner of the strip plaza parking lot is usually a developer, not Target, Wal-Mart, Joanne's Dance Studio, or whatever.

The solution you state would work for me. But in all honesty, I don't see a change in the assumption of permission because the Cache owner checks the little box policy.

They serve their purpose. When I'm out doing Earthcaches and virtuals, or tricky multis and puzzles that I might have to DNF, I appreciate a nearly LPC so that I can sign at least one log that day, especially on an out-of-state trip. And if I'm too busy to cache, but really need a quick fix, a LPC is just the thing.

My first LPC was hilarious, anyway--like everyone else, I thought "who knew these lifted?" I think I might have set a record for how long it took me to figure it out, though--I had to dnf a few before realizing where the caches were! D'oh!

Nice post, thanks. Despite me saying no permission for almost all of them is the "trump card", I admit it's not as straightforward as it sounds. First the guidelines say "adequate permission", and there are people around here who will argue until they're blue in the face that no permission to hide a cache in store parking lot on private property is "adequate permission". Second, the owner of the strip plaza parking lot is usually a developer, not Target, Wal-Mart, Joanne's Dance Studio, or whatever.

The solution you state would work for me. But in all honesty, I don't see a change in the assumption of permission because the Cache owner checks the little box policy.

Obtaining "official permission" for LPC would be very difficult for the reason you mentioned. However, I would support some reasonable verification system for caches in rural settings or similar. I was poking around a winery looking for a cache last weekend....I always feel a little insecure on private property armed only with some persons (CO), I never met, promise that permission was obtained.

Edited by Russ!

The OP is not about permission. It's about not having such caches at all, and about getting stung.

Once I arrive at GZ, and the cache is obviously in the center of a busy parking lot, I'll consider if I can lift that skirt at least 2 times without drawing attention. If not, I move on. It is a severe letdown to realize the interesting sounding description is just another throwdown pill bottle LPC, and a wasted trip, but if I do my research (no spontaneous hunts in unfamiliar towns), I can avoid these very easily, wasps and all.

There are probably a lot of regular-sized containers that at first seem to be LPCs, hidden very cleverly in the middle of parking lots. That's why I never want to see LPCs go away -- I'm hoping for that very cool exception someday.

Edited by kunarion

To meander off topic for a sec....my gardner's name is Tran. The Jesus the gardener comment was a response to Mully's in ability to find the sarcastic humor in my Jesus and containers comment. I thought I would lay another one out to see if he would bite...which he did. As I said, people take things WAY to serious at times.... If anyone is offended by either Jesus comments, I am sorry. Now back to the serious debate of the banning of LPC.

I sent you a PM. You totally took my comments the wrong way. I found the sarcastic humor right away, and I played off of it. You didn't catch it back. hehehe!!

MULLY

On Topic: Light post skirt caches are bad.....no cookies for you.

Edited by mullyman

Obtaining "official permission" for LPC would be very difficult for the reason you mentioned. However, I would support some reasonable verification system for caches in rural settings or similar. I was poking around a winery looking for a cache last weekend....I always feel a little insecure on private property armed only with some persons (CO), I never met, promise that permission was obtained.

I would imagine the majority of caches don't have land owner permission. People talk about guardrail caches. How many of those do you think the CO contacted the county first to see if they could put something on a guardrail?

MULLY

The 3 biggest lies: 1) Of course I love you 2) The check is in the mail 3) Oh yeah, he said it's ok.

I sent you a PM. You totally took my comments the wrong way. I found the sarcastic humor right away, and I played off of it. You didn't catch it back. hehehe!!

MULLY

Opps...I apologize. I didn't see any smilie type face after your gardener comments and read into it that you were being more serious then I intended. Obviously, racism is a serious issue. Thanks for the clarity. Peace

I would imagine the majority of caches don't have land owner permission. People talk about guardrail caches. How many of those do you think the CO contacted the county first to see if they could put something on a guardrail?

MULLY

The 3 biggest lies: 1) Of course I love you 2) The check is in the mail 3) Oh yeah, he said it's ok.

Sure most caches don't have permission. But do they all need to? Public Park (such as a Town Park) with no existing local Geocaching policy, I'm placing a cache. You don't hear about this very much any more, but those of us who have been around a while used to refer to the "Frisbee Rule". If you could play a game of Frisbee without permission there (like in a town park), then it's OK to place a cache there. I know, silly and very simplistic, but I still like it. Keep in mind it pre-dates many, if not most, State and Local Geocaching policies. Sure, I could play Frisbee in the local State Park without Permission, but if I submitted an ammo box there without a permit, I'd have to be smoking crack. :lol:

Edited by Mr.Yuck

Opps...I apologize. I didn't see any smilie type face after your gardener comments and read into it that you were being more serious then I intended. Obviously, racism is a serious issue. Thanks for the clarity. Peace

Having a gardener named Jesus is racism?

Especially when his name is Fred.

For the love of.......please STOP trying to ban any caches you don't like.

I am sorry you cannot take a little time and research the caches you go for. I am also sorry you feel you must, for some reason, search for everything you load into your GPS,(or phone.)

However, calling for the ban of any caches you don't like is just silly. <_<

LOL! Do you REALLY believe that calling for a ban on anything in these forums is going to be taken seriously by Groundspeak? :lol:

They banned the idea of counting Challenges as finds pretty quickly. :ph34r:

Good point. If LPC's didn't count to your total find count, would they be so popular?

Perhaps GS should break them off like Challenges, so that people that want to find them can still find them and those that don't needn't see them in their searches.

I did my first LPC at 3AM to avoid hostiles, and the SCRAAAAAAAAAAAPING sound it made when I lifted the skirt was epic, rebounding off all the surrounding buildings.

I laughed, a lot - it reminded me of the scene near the beginning of Men In Black when Will Smith drags the table across the floor to fill out his questionnaire.

How about an LPC attribute for filtering: attribute_lpc.png

Funny story, thanks for sharing. And I love the icon!

That was pretty recent, and was more of an LPC history thread. I think I probably said something more along the lines LPC's were well established in Nashville by the end of 2003.
You were correct. LPCs were well established in the Nashville area by the end of 2003.
If LPC's didn't count to your total find count, would they be so popular?

Perhaps GS should break them off like Challenges, so that people that want to find them can still find them and those that don't needn't see them in their searches.

Good idea. We could do the same thing with multis and puzzles and caches hidden under piles of sticks.

Bah! Let's just ban all ________ caches. If we leave this as a fill-in-the-blank, surely this will appeal to a greater number of people who want to control the game experience for others! YEAH!!!!!!

(sarcasm is not a lost art)

I still don't understand why people can't just skip caches they don't like. This game appeals to a wide audience of different opinions. Why try to shape it to JUST YOURS? Le' sigh... <_<

(sarcasm is not a lost art)
I still don't understand why people can't just skip caches they don't like. This game appeals to a wide audience of different opinions. Why try to shape it to JUST YOURS? Le' sigh... <_<

Because then players would have this list of unfound caches sitting the in the back of their mind, knowing that even though they don't show up in searches, they're still taunting, sitting around nearby laughing at them, mocking their imperfect ability to find every cache they come across for a flawless record.

(to be fair, this is myself, to a degree =) I hate the ignore feature - I don't use it. But then I also don't care if a pin sits close to home or remains unfound or whatever. I have not come across a legit cache I emphatically choose not to find. If I do, it's because I feel there is something about it that's wrong, bad, unsafe, illegal, rule-breaking, etc. On principle, I just can't get myself to use 'ignore cache', especially if it's been found at least a few times already)

Edited by thebruce0

There were none of these when I started in 2003. I guess someone did it and every figured it would be an easy thing to do. PLEASE STOP. Browse my thread "Cool Cache Containers" for some inspiration. I really think they should be banned. Another one I did this past week had a skirt that was tight. It scraped and made a very loud noise all the way up. You could see where it was lifted up each time and actually marked up the pole. It is technically damage to private property.

Your friend,

AmishHacker

Why not just not go for those caches?

How do you know it's one of "those caches" until you went there and found it?

Well he wouldn't, but as he said in his original post he can spot them from a mile away. Well if that is the case nothing is preventing him from ignoring them and drive to another, but it is clear that he goes and gets them anyway, so that's his choice, sounds like this one just made him mad because he got stung that's all, Tired of hearing that cachers want a certain type of caches banned because THEY don't like them. Ridiculous

About wasps, there are powerful sprays you can buy. "instant knockdown" "shoots up to 22 feet" These are some phrases describing one of these I saw in an ad. :)

That's nice that it sparys that far, but who is going to be the poor SAP to hold the skirt up while the other sprays from 22 feet away.

I Nominate Coldgers, or Knowschad for the skirt holding job

SS

There were none of these when I started in 2003. I guess someone did it and every figured it would be an easy thing to do. PLEASE STOP. Browse my thread "Cool Cache Containers" for some inspiration. I really think they should be banned. Another one I did this past week had a skirt that was tight. It scraped and made a very loud noise all the way up. You could see where it was lifted up each time and actually marked up the pole. It is technically damage to private property.

Your friend,

AmishHacker

I will post a very early IBTL, with the first reply. Unless someone hit enter before me. :)

We found our first one on 10/12/03 it was placed on 06/15/02

to get a laugh check my log and then check the log after mine

"Somebodies Baked Beans"

MULLY

No apologies necessary. The written word is so easily taken out of context.

MULLY

Ok....real quick. I don't know if people payed attention but I admitted that the "ban" verbiage was a bit over the top as I was venting. See edit on OP.

Second...the Forums seem a bit more aggressive than I remember. I guess I need to take the new forum environment into consideration before posting.

In any case....thanks for all of the views. Not sure how many people need to continue to post "If you don't like them don't do them". Got it. Some people do like them...others feel the same way I do.

In conclusion... my solution is to create some creative caches that I would like to find and help enhance the game for those who like them in my area.

AmishHacker

As a total noob to GC I wanted to add my perspective.

LPCs are good for a number of reason.

My first find was an LPC (it just happened to be less than a mile from my house).

That first find has lead to me and my family getting completely hooked on GC. We started GC about two weeks ago and can honestly say that we have spent more time in the woods and in parks than we probably have for the last 20 years. And we are stoked about it. So, finding that first LPC has lead us outdoors for exercise and fresh air.

We like the whole experience of GC and at this point just want to get out there hunting. Sometimes we can't get out during the week until 5:30 or so and now its starting to get dark around 7. So, the LPCs are great to get at least get one log in. We don't limit ourselves to them but at least I know if we spend an hour on a DNF in the woods maybe we can stop and make a parking lot grab just to log something.

For us and our young child its all about the hunt. Luckily where we live there is a good variety of different caches. So, on a weekend, we can pick an area with 5-6 caches and we will have, Nano, LPCs, and stuff in woods that require a 10 minute bushwack. And that's all good.

Lastly, as one of the other responders said, having so many LPCs should create a new breed of fake LPCs. That kind of creativity is a great part of the game. One of our favorite hides was described as a Bison in a Pine Tree. After already DNFing a couple of those that day I really wasn't looking forward to this one. Well was I surprised when we were 20 feet away from the tree and my wife shouts that she found it. It was a 2 foot long piece of PVC painted to look like a bison tube.

In conclusion... my solution is to create some creative caches that I would like to find and help enhance the game for those who like them in my area.
Perfect!

Another approach is to encourage others to hide the types of creative caches that you enjoy. I know someone who has often held events at his home, where he opens up his workshop to other geocachers so they can build and/or camouflage cache containers, which they later hide.

Not a big fan. I'm not against LPC's, but more against crappy caches in general. Sure there are many exceptions to the rule, but frankly most LPC's are low quality junk that are poorly planned, generally placed without explicit permission, and thrown out there without much thought. I too recall being amazed by the first one I saw back in July 2003 - the wow factor wore off quickly though.

The bigger problem in my mind is that it's become the new accepted "normal" - the low entry cost, numbers generating potential, and relative staying power of these caches makes them an attractive option for many. Unfortunately, imitation isn't usually very flattering. I had a very brief conversation with someone who must have attempted caching at some point in the past describe it as "that game where you find film cannisters in lightpoles." Kinda sad...

That said, banning LPC's isn't going to do a thing. They will continue to exist no matter what is said about them. One can only hope that the poor quality ones are not imitated and ultimately die a slow death.

I used to try to be discrete in finding them, but now frankly I don't bother much with stealth. I'll walk right up with someone standing there and make all the noise I care to. Much less suspicious that way, plus I figure I'm matching the effort that was expended in placing the cache.

This LPC that I hid is a tribute to them

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=eee7bc21-e866-4f18-85c7-28116b6cc8c2

it has 8 favorites :D

There is a sculpture of a painter painting the background of the area which is missing a few lampposts.

It is titled "the right light"

After I had chosen the best lampost to hide it under, due to having cachers not being seen, and scenery, I noticed that it was the furtherest lamppost to the right (from the vantage point of the painter)

See, they are not all that bad. :)

I used to try to be discrete in finding them, but now frankly I don't bother much with stealth. I'll walk right up with someone standing there and make all the noise I care to. Much less suspicious that way, plus I figure I'm matching the effort that was expended in placing the cache.

That seems unnecessarily rude. I haven't placed skirt lifters before, but if I were a new hider getting my feet wet with LPCs, I'd be dismayed about cachers with such a cavalier and destructive attitude. Rather than openly risk muggling the cache, why not send the CO an encouraging email similar to "nice entry into hiding caches, I look forward to more creative hides in the future!"

That seems unnecessarily rude. I haven't placed skirt lifters before, but if I were a new hider getting my feet wet with LPCs, I'd be dismayed about cachers with such a cavalier and destructive attitude. Rather than openly risk muggling the cache, why not send the CO an encouraging email similar to "nice entry into hiding caches, I look forward to more creative hides in the future!"

Mine is not the burden of stealth - sorry it belongs to the hider.

:P I think that wording might be dangerously ambiguous! :lol:

Mine is not the burden of stealth - sorry it belongs to the hider.

I understand the reply - it parses as english. It's illogical though. If you admit that stealth is needed in hiding a cache, it follows that stealth is needed in finding the cache.

Hiding a cache = hide

Finding a cache = find + sign log + hide

It seems to me as though your actions may actually be more antagonistic than you imply. *shrug* Forgive me if I'm wrong - I hope I am.