Best Geocaching app for Android

Team Comet

A tip I was given when my (official) GS android app was not too accurate, and very "spotty" in connecting, was to buy a cheap Bluetooth connecting GPS unit off Amazon (about £10.00) - down load a free bluetooth GPS app, turn off the in built GPS on phone and pair with the unit using the "mock GPS connection" - works a treat - accurate GPS as it uses at least as many satellites as my Garmin GPs and much better "reception"I have downloaded several apps from the android market - but the official GS app is best (although not free !!!)

I have an android phone, and need a good geocaching app. The one i have now doesn't get that close CGO doesn't get me very close to gz, was wondering if there is a better one.

Are you sure the app is the issue and not the GPS in your Android device? They are not all created equal. I have devices that rival my Garmin in a "fair to good" environment (I use c:geo and Locus with the geocaching add-on). Try benchmarking your device with a known reference point since the application will only use the information passed to it.

try oruxmap

you will be impressed

regarding accuracy

I stored a 10 km track on 2 devices simultaneously using oruxmap(on htc sensation running on android operating sys), and garmin montana

loaded the 2 tracks on compegps (pc version)

Initially I thought the software is loading only one track at a time, it took me a while to realize that the 2 tracks are perfect match on top of each other.

recent gps models are all comparably accurate weather on mobile phone or stand alone gps units

Edited by TheArabianHunter

I have an android phone, and need a good geocaching app. The one i have now doesn't get that close CGO doesn't get me very close to gz, was wondering if there is a better one.

Any app is going to be working off the GPSr data the phone is giving it. My solution (not original to me, suggested by someone here, whose name I unfortunately do not remember) was to buy a "Bluetooth GPSr logger" (specifically a Qstarz BT-Q818XT, but there are others) and use the free app "Bluetooth GPS" to glue the two together.

Much less drain on my phone's (already too small) battery, and a high sensitivity receiver as good under cloud cover and trees (as far as I can tell) as the top handheld units. Plus if you need, you can hold the GPSr logger high over your head to get the clearest satellite views while looking at the phone in your other hand. :) (Yup, I did this last night: there was a pesky wall and sloping terrain, and my coordinates were wandering all over the place. Holding the logger up high helped a bit. Persistence and a good torch helped even more. B)

Plus if you need, you can hold the GPSr logger high over your head to get the clearest satellite views while looking at the phone in your other hand

Tip... I usually wear a hat while caching (for sun protection), and you can simply put the Qstarz on top of your head and then put your hat on. Or, velcro it to the top of your hat for that truly geeky look.

I use GeoHunter (free app). Also get GPS Status (free app too - which will also tell you roughly how accurate your GPS signal is). Run pocket queries, load 'em on your phone, and it works great for me. Probably one of the lowest battery usage apps too. Not a very good app for on-the-fly caching though.

Edited by Joshism