found money ?

orangejuicenice

I am 11 years old and on my first geocache i found money and no log book what should i do ???

If there was no logbook, how do you know that what you found was the geocache? Not saying it wasn't, but how do you know?

How much money are we talking about? More/less than a couple $$? If you're talking about hundreds or thousands, get out of there, tell your parents and call the police.

What cache was it?

I am 11 years old and on my first geocache i found money and no log book what should i do ???

If there was no logbook, how do you know that what you found was the geocache? Not saying it wasn't, but how do you know?

How much money are we talking about? More/less than a couple $$? If you're talking about hundreds or thousands, get out of there, tell your parents and call the police.

What cache was it?

It was the ugly duckling cache in patchogue

What cache was it?

It was the ugly duckling cache in patchogue

Looks like it was this one:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=c91d50be-8d90-45e9-9092-1aa575e626b1

I would make 2 logs. One that you Found It. (You will learn to bring some paper with you so you have something to sign and leave in the cache to prove that you were there. For now, don't worry about it.)

The other log should be a Needs Maintenance, and say that there was no logbook.

And welcome to Geocaching. I hope you have lots of fun.

And please feel free to come back to the forum whenever you have any questions.

If it is the correct cache as you say, then there are two things of note to mention:

The lack of log book is odd for a geocache, so I would say it is probably worth making a 'needs maintenance' log on the cache page to bring it to the attention of the owner. I guess it is possible it has gotten lost or damaged/removed, so who knows quite where it has gotten to...

As for the money, what currencies and value are we looking at? It is common enough to find small change in caches, and often in foreign currencies, but at the same time I wouldn't really expect to find much of value left behind. I guess any coins are typically going to be fine, notes I would wander exactly who left them and why.

Remember that if there is swag in a cache, you are free to trade for it, remembering to make sure and trade up - so leave something behind worth the same (or more) than what you have taken for the next geocacher to find.

This won't apply to the cache mentioned in this thread, but cache owners sometimes leave a bit of money as a First To Find prize. Just something to keep in mind for future cache finds. As far as the money in the mentioned cache, I'm thinking someone may have left the money in trade for swag. (Though why the log book is missing is beyond me.)

The cache is linked to above. There previous logs didn't say anything about a missing log, or much of anything at all. A more recent log (10/11/2011) by the CO may indicate that the cache has been found by muggles since the container was apparently found in pieces. (Now I have to wonder if maybe someone found the cache container, tossed away the log book, and decided to use it as a money stash. That might explain some things, like why the CO found the cache in pieces after the money was removed. Of course, this is all guesswork.)