caches along a route

browbrew

quote:
Originally posted by antonym:

I know there are some other free software solutions, in development, that will help with this (using a route and your PQ's). Nothing yet though.

"Nothing yet" is a little strong. The code is written, and anyone with the technical skills to get the latest CVS snapshot of GPSBabel and compile it can use it. It just hasn't been released in an official beta version yet.

If you don't have the skills or the tools to compile GPSBabel, but you do have some facility with the command line, and you want a copy with the new features to play with, drop me an email and I'll see what I can do.

pirate.cgi.gif

I recently did this for a trip from Wisconsin to PA. I made several GPX queries to get enough caches to ensure my route would be covered. I used Spinner to merge the files into one, then loaded that up into ExpertGPS. ExpertGPS will let you draw a route by hand (which I did by bringing up a topo map and following the freeway) and then select waypoints within a certain distance of your route. That returned a subset of the full list which I then uploaded into my GPSr.

The full list was Pluckered and sent to my PDA so I would have everything (just in case) and the cache pages.

I also kept a larger radius of caches for where I was staying. Spinner lets you define "home points" which will automagically allow you to sort by distance from those points.

It made for a nice paperless trip, although my wife got sick of me constantly pointing out woodsy areas along the turnpike and saying "Hey, there's a cache in there!"

- - - - -

You'd have to be an idiot to click here!

Here's what I've been using. It's roughly (barely, now!) based on fizzymagic's gpx2html utility. It filters, mixes, slices, dices, purees, and does everything I need or want. Best of all it's totally automatic the way I have it set up -- as soon as the emails with the GPX files come in (based on filters in Eudora) the appropriate unzipXXXX.bat file is automtically executed and the files are unzipped with the help of the command line add-on to WinZip. When unzip2133.bat (corresponding to my near-home query) is run, it also then runs the waypoint processor. I haven't given this utility out before because I haven't felt like creating a package out of it with instructions, etc. -- and I still don't.

quote:
Originally posted by GeoROCKS!:

It's roughly (barely, now!) based on fizzymagic's gpx2html utility. It filters, mixes, slices, dices, purees, and does everything I need or want. Best of all it's totally automatic the way I have it set up -- as soon as the emails with the GPX files come in (based on filters in Eudora) the appropriate unzipXXXX.bat file is automtically executed and the files are unzipped with the help of the command line add-on to WinZip. When unzip2133.bat (corresponding to my near-home query) is run, it also then runs the waypoint processor. I haven't given this utility out before because I haven't felt like creating a package out of it with instructions, etc. -- and I still don't.

How does this show caches along a route? Am I missing something?

3608_2800.gif

"Don't mess with a geocacher. We know all the best places to hide a body."

quote:
Originally posted by Prime Suspect:

How does this show caches along a route? Am I missing something?

The routes are stored in the data directory (i.e. ca-hwy-237.dat). The file caches.dat specifies which routes (or roads) to always include. The program takes a little bit of tweaking to get the way you want it (and I plan never having an interface), but then it just works forever!

Are you willing to give us the perl script uncompiled so we can tweek it to our needs. As to the routes did you create a route in mapsource or some other map software then export to txt fromat?

I take it that I would still have to download all of the caches in the area of intrest in order to populate the route.

Ideally this would all happen in a query on the geocaching server.

-browbrew

Not quite ready to release the source yet, but I will relatively soon. Part of my reticence is that I just haven't written down a set of detailed instructions yet. I may even just let fizzymagic have it to add to his site (since it was once based on his gpx2html program). I used MapSource to map points a mile distant along various highways (I have 18 so far) and saved them in txt format. I download several 500-waypoint pocket queries daily and automatically mesh them into one with this program. Oh, and for clarification, when I mentioned needing to tweak the program to get it the way you want, I really meant tweaking the data and queries.