Rather puzzling - someone swapped my cache container

I wonder if one of you clever folk can explain this one…

A few days I had a found-it log on one of my caches that mentioned the log book being soaked through.

The container was one of those nifty little decon units that are perfectly waterproof if shut properly, so I assumed someone had left the lid ajar. No worries, these things happen. Yesterday, therefore, we set out with a new logbook, some kitchen roll for mopping out, and a handful of fresh swag, to give the cache a little TLC (and close the lid :) )

When we got to GZ, the cache was no longer where we had hidden it (a nook in the tree that fitted the container like a glove), so we widened our search, and my other half eventually proclaimed that he had found it. He held it up with a puzzled look on his face, and we both said in stereo “that’s not our cache??!!”

It was an entirely different container – a cylindrical plastic thing that looked like a big bolt, with a rather nifty handsprayed camo paint job, and one of those nice official Groundspeak stickers on it (that looked good as new). This wouldn’t fit into our original hidey hole hence it had moved.

I thought maybe someone had DNF’d my cache and dropped this one in its place to get the smiley (as I know that happens sometimes) – but no, on opening it up we found my original hand made log book (now soaked through and ruined :( ), about half an inch of water, and some swag that I remember seeing in the (original) cache last time I paid it a maintenance visit. So they must have found the other cache to obtain the logbook and swag bits.

The replacement container has a loose screw top and no rubber seal of any kind and was clearly not waterproof. So we have disabled the cache temporarily until we can get back out there with a replacement container.

I’ve been back through all the logs (online and in the wet logbook) and there is no mention of a container swap.

So – why did someone swap it??? I’m genuinely puzzled.

Those decon boxes are tough little cookies, so I’d be surprised if it was damaged, and if someone did replace a damaged container you’d think they would mention that on their log? Or a previous finder might have mentioned the damage?

I thought perhaps that the swapper was just after nicking themself a nice container, but decon boxes aren’t that expensive/desirable are they?, and they had put a lot of effort into the replacement container with the nice paint job and the GC.com sticker (those things aren’t cheap) – so that theory doesn’t really hold water (like their cache box!)

So, who can solve this little mystery for me?

(in the meantime, I’m having a good hunt around at home for another decon box, I’m sure I have one somewhere!)

Contrary to the popular belief that Geocachers are all good people, there are, in fact, a lot of light-fingered folk out there!

How else can you explain all the geocoins and TBs that go missing?

I've seen comments from COs before where, for example, a large bison tube had been 'upgraded' to a film pot - only a cacher would do that sort of thing. A muggle would just steal it.

:unsure:

Mark

I wonder if one of you clever folk can explain this one…

A few days I had a found-it log on one of my caches that mentioned the log book being soaked through.

The container was one of those nifty little decon units that are perfectly waterproof if shut properly, so I assumed someone had left the lid ajar. No worries, these things happen. Yesterday, therefore, we set out with a new logbook, some kitchen roll for mopping out, and a handful of fresh swag, to give the cache a little TLC (and close the lid :) )

When we got to GZ, the cache was no longer where we had hidden it (a nook in the tree that fitted the container like a glove), so we widened our search, and my other half eventually proclaimed that he had found it. He held it up with a puzzled look on his face, and we both said in stereo “that’s not our cache??!!”

It was an entirely different container – a cylindrical plastic thing that looked like a big bolt, with a rather nifty handsprayed camo paint job, and one of those nice official Groundspeak stickers on it (that looked good as new). This wouldn’t fit into our original hidey hole hence it had moved.

I thought maybe someone had DNF’d my cache and dropped this one in its place to get the smiley (as I know that happens sometimes) – but no, on opening it up we found my original hand made log book (now soaked through and ruined :( ), about half an inch of water, and some swag that I remember seeing in the (original) cache last time I paid it a maintenance visit. So they must have found the other cache to obtain the logbook and swag bits.

The replacement container has a loose screw top and no rubber seal of any kind and was clearly not waterproof. So we have disabled the cache temporarily until we can get back out there with a replacement container.

I’ve been back through all the logs (online and in the wet logbook) and there is no mention of a container swap.

So – why did someone swap it??? I’m genuinely puzzled.

Those decon boxes are tough little cookies, so I’d be surprised if it was damaged, and if someone did replace a damaged container you’d think they would mention that on their log? Or a previous finder might have mentioned the damage?

I thought perhaps that the swapper was just after nicking themself a nice container, but decon boxes aren’t that expensive/desirable are they?, and they had put a lot of effort into the replacement container with the nice paint job and the GC.com sticker (those things aren’t cheap) – so that theory doesn’t really hold water (like their cache box!)

So, who can solve this little mystery for me?

(in the meantime, I’m having a good hunt around at home for another decon box, I’m sure I have one somewhere!)

My only theory is that another cacher saw your container and thought 'hey, thats just the type/size of container I need for my cache/series' and decided to swap it for the ready prepared container they had in their bag which they may even have already tried out and realised it didnt do the job.

A bit cynical I know but I cant think of another reason. If you want to take it further why not post a picture of it on the forum as somebody may recognise it from another placement although take care as witch hunts may cause other problems.

My only theory is that another cacher saw your container and thought 'hey, thats just the type/size of container I need for my cache/series' and decided to swap it for the ready prepared container they had in their bag which they may even have already tried out and realised it didnt do the job.

A bit cynical I know but I cant think of another reason. If you want to take it further why not post a picture of it on the forum as somebody may recognise it from another placement although take care as witch hunts may cause other problems.

nah I wouldn't do that - I'm not bothered enough to cause upset - it just confused me. If it was just that they wanted to nick it, then I wouldn't have expected them to put so much effort into the replacement.

but yes, I see where your theory is coming from, that's probably what happened.

annoying though as the new container didn't even fit into the actual hide spot, and the log book had to be bent to fit in. So not an ideal replacement even if they didn't realise it wasn't waterproof.

ah well, never mind, these things happen.

Decon containers are great if they are closed properly and "new"

However after repeated open and close cycles and the lid not being snapped shut all the way they start to leak.

It sounds to me like a well meaning cacher found your wet log from a failed decon container and tried to help you out with what they thought was a good container.

I would chalk it up to a good intentions gone bad.

However after repeated open and close cycles and the lid not being snapped shut all the way they start to leak.

It sounds to me like a well meaning cacher found your wet log from a failed decon container and tried to help you out with what they thought was a good container.

I would chalk it up to a good intentions gone bad.

ah I didn't know that - about the decon boxes ageing badly - maybe that was what happened then - I wish they had said so in their log, I would have thanked them :)

Whoever the light-fingered person is, at least they made an effort - we found a cache at the weekend where the ammo can had been taken and the contents just hidden under some rocks! Makes you want to scream! :mad:

now that IS annoying!

I sometimes wonder if ammo box thefts are mainly kids - I know my boys would have loved to find an army ammo box in the woods when they were younger (and before they knew about geocaching)

Giving up after only 38 finds and 18 months?

They last a lot longer than THAT!

One of ours has been out for three and a half years and 119 finds and is still OK :blink:

Giving up after only 38 finds and 18 months?

They last a lot longer than THAT!

One of ours has been out for three and a half years and 119 finds and is still OK :blink:

Yep, I had one out for a few months. One of the cachers bent the inside seal and it rapidly lost its water tightness.

I have run across lots of these containers that are not able to seal tightly and they have moisture inside of them.

Light fingered...cachers......no!!

I have had three ammo boxes taken up to now. If I put one out now I make sure that I can chain it up with a bike lock from a pound shop (99p shops are available)

The caches of mine that go missing more than most are turtle pots.

I have had one cache (replaced) from a turtle pot to a 35mm film case. No mention of it on logs until someone told me that I had listed the size incorrectly.

I guess caching takes all sorts, I bet I don't ever get one of my 35mm pots replaced by anything larger though :mellow:

I have run across lots of these containers that are not able to seal tightly and they have moisture inside of them.

Containers without a proper seal tend to 'breath'. As they heat up during the day, the air inside expands and the container is pressurised, the excess pressure leaks out. As they cool down at night, fresh air is drawn in. Any moisture in the air is drawn in too. That moisture will condense on the inside of the container and gradually build up to the point where things start to become damp.

We may or may not have ammo boxes out there but if we have they are only used on Multi(s) and 'Bonus' Mystery cache(s).

Obviously wouldn't prevent 'honest' muggling but might deter a dishonest cacher... :huh:

Mark

Seem to remember having to walk around with one of yours for the afternoon, as after retrieving the cache and moving away to sign the log, muggles arrived and settled down for a picnic, making replacing the cache rather difficult!

:laughing:

Had a log recently on one of my caches(GC1862C)that said great container not seen one of these used as a cache before and thought it was strange as it was only a klip and lock box.Checked it today to find it had been replaced with a black money box complete with a key.Nothing in the logs to say who or why had done this.