How do you separate the good from the bad caches?

domromer

With my job I have very little free time. If I'm lucky I get to go caching maybe once a week. Before I go caching I get online and read the cache descriptions. Most of the time they sound fine until you get there and realize you are looking in an empty lot full of garbage, next to the side of a highway. What I'm saying is I'm just really sick of bad caches in bad areas, with absolutely no reasons worth visiting at all. How do you guys screen your caches? What techniques do you use? I'd really like to spend my little free time finding quality caches and not searching abandoned lots full of transients.

One way is to look for caches that have a lot of "favorite points" on them.

You may not always agree with what other cachers deem as their favorite, but it's a pretty good clue.

Another thing I do is realize that I'm caching for the experience, rather than the number. What experience do I want to get?

Yesterday I went way up in the mountains to an old mine shaft. There was a cache there with only one other find on it, and it had one favorite point on it. One find, one point, that's a good average.

But what I wanted was something different and a bit adventurous so this is where I went.

I really had a great time. The cache was definitely secondary to the adventure of checking out the mine and the other mining relics in the area. I had a really good time.

I found my adventure and then found the cache. I couldn't have gone wrong.

I've also found a lot of caches this summer that were only available by small boat. By the time I got to the cache I was already having so much fun, it just couldn't have been better. The caches were icing on the cake, but they were also what brought me there, so I didn't forget to leave a favorite point for them.

Premium members get favorite points made available to give out, by how many caches we find.

Lately I've been finding so many great caches, just by going to great places, and then looking for caches there, that my supply of favorite points is diminishing rapidly. Gee, what a problem to have!! :laughing:

I love hiking in the woods, so I go for caches in the woods as much as I can.

Go where you like to go, and then look for a cache there.

The best caches I've found are the ones that require some effort to GET TO in the first place. I've given up on "urban" caching, really; but then I've always said I'm a hiker/backpacker that likes to geocache -- not the other way around -- so the journey, for me, is primary while the caches are more icing on the proverbial cake. I'm also very bad about logging my finds so don't put too much emphasis on my cache-count. Anyway...

I also use Pocket Queries almost exclusively and exclude nano's and micros; I'm about to start weeding out "Small" caches as well because it just seems like the larger containers are apt to be better thought out and better placed and thusly result in an overall better geocaching experience. I'm tired of pill-bottle caches, frankly. But of course this is all very personal stuff, matters of opinion to be sure; I'm sure there are many out there who are thrilled to find everything I don't; like pill-bottles and nano's for instance.

Other tools include Google Earth to scope out the terrain.

My suggestion, in short, is... Plan what is, for you, a decent hike or walk in the woods or whatever and then look for caches along your chosen route. Then, if the cache's are lousy, at least you've had a decent walk/hike.

I guess my problem is that I really only have time to do what's close and they is almost all Micros since I live in a rather urban area. I've also got it in my head to do all the caches on my little island and that also results in lots of micros in empty lots and parking areas.

I the opposite problem in Florida last week. I was in the Ocala national forest and there are literally thousands of caches. Most are just poweline micros. It would take ages to sort through and find good caches. I ended up doing none!

I guess It comes to research. I need to not just load all the nearby cashes, but find caches that sound interesting then load them into my phone.

I am pretty methodical about finding the day's caches. First I pick the area I want to go to and request all the caches in a 3 mile radius. Then I sort them by 'favorites'. Then, I look at traditional caches from the top of the list down. I read each one, especially the logs, to see if there is anything that warns me away--such as a bunch of recent dnf's, etc. I am not deterred by difficulty rating but I eliminate caches that require canoes or such. Recently, we have found the joy of multicaches. They are really fun and challenging. If you have a limited amount of time, do a sort by favorites. Just know that caches with lots of favorites can be difficult finds, often but not always. Have fun!

If you had a premium membership you could do pocket queries that would let you do advanced searches, aka Pocket Queries. For example: regular sized traditional/multi/letterbox caches within 20 miles of your home. The trick is that, if you are in an urban area and don't have time to go very far, then most of the caches you'll have access to are likely to be easy urban micros, since larger containers are harder to hide in an urban area.

If you had a premium membership you could do pocket queries that would let you do advanced searches, aka Pocket Queries. For example: regular sized traditional/multi/letterbox caches within 20 miles of your home. The trick is that, if you are in an urban area and don't have time to go very far, then most of the caches you'll have access to are likely to be easy urban micros, since larger containers are harder to hide in an urban area.

I have no issue with micros..it's the quality or lack of that's got me down.

Favorites are your friend here.

As a "non-premium" member, your searching and sorting options are pretty limited. But it sounds like you have a local area you are hunting in (ie "Lunch caching" during the week). Bring up a cache page for a cache near where you are or about where you know you will be caching. Then go down to just under the "Hint" field to the "Find..." fields. Click on "...all nearby caches" (or whatever version fits your need). You then have the equivalent of a simple PQ results preview listing. Favorites are the blue ribbon column. As a basic member, you won't be able to sort by favorites, but you can scroll down through the pages and see which ones have favorite points.

Note that "Favorite" may mean different things to different people, but in general, I have found it a great way to find interesting, fun, quality, "top 10%" caches (since premium members get 1 vote to use per 10 cache finds). Good luck and have fun!

I've also got it in my head to do all the caches on my little island and that also results in lots of micros in empty lots and parking areas.

**snip**

I need to not just load all the nearby cashes, but find caches that sound interesting then load them into my phone.

I think you answered your own question right there. It comes down to looking for the caches you think are interesting and not just doing the ones that happen to be close. (Unless being a radius slave makes you happy -- in that case, go for it. Of course, if you were enjoying it you wouldn't have posted here in the first place.)

Favorite points are a good tool. Looking at the maps beforehand also helps. If the cache is in a nice looking green space I know I'm more likely to enjoy it than if it is a suburban shopping mall parking lot.

My Geocaching experience improved tremendously once I stopped putting artfical pressure on myself. You're never going to find them all so there is nothing wrong with skipping caches. As soon as I stop having fun at a cache I move on -- sometimes that means not even getting out of the car.

Given your circumstances, I think I'll mirror what others have suggested.

Favorite points can be your friend. If you do a search for caches in a 100 mile radius of your home, then sort them by how many favorite points each cache has, that makes a good starting point. From there, work your way down the list, looking to see what percentage of premium members have awarded a particular cache a favorite point. Those two numbers can be very different.

A local example is a virtual cache at a theme park. It has 237 favorite points, which might make you think "Holy Carp! This must be awesome!" But when you look at what percentage of premium members actually awarded a favorite point, you see it's only 9%. Maybe it's not quite so awesome. Scrolling a bit farther down the list I see a puzzle cache with 40 favorite points. That represents 56% of the premium members who found it. The next page shows me one with 26 points, with 100% awarding. To me, that equals a must do cache.

What I've found, when comparing percentages to my own personal bias is any cache that rates higher than 20% favorite points is one I am very likely to enjoy. I don't know your personal preferences, but since we both seem to dislike the same stuff, (crappy micros in uninspired locations), perhaps my method would work for you? As you scroll through the caches, print out any that are above 20%. Make that your "To Do" list. When time allows, pick one from the list and go do it.

Sorry about your recent misadventures in the Ocala Notional Forest. There's a big event coming up the weekend of Oct. 22nd. Part of the festivities includes over 200 new ammo can hides.

Chevy Chase would probably say something to the effect of 528 feet.

if its local, I do them regardless. If I am out of the area and only have time for a few, I will choose a nice park, or do caches close to a particular cache I want and what I find I find. Favorite points are nice too, but I do not like to be a slave to favorite points and only do them.

I have no issue with micros..it's the quality or lack of that's got me down.

Kind of my problem too. I enjoy micros, I enjoy urban caches, I enjoy hiking caches. I do not enjoy caches placed for the sake of placing a cache. Recently a few newer cachers in this area have started placing mundane parking lot hides. One of the latest ones was published last week and I noticed that the CO said on the page "another boring Route 23 hide". Why then?

.... One of the latest ones was published last week and I noticed that the CO said on the page "another boring Route 23 hide". Why then?

... of course, if this was one of your caches, it would probably be one of the best in the area! <_<

Then again, nothing beats truth in advertising! Lame Guardrail Cache :laughing:

Knowing the CO's style helps. There are a few hiders that I will go out of my way to find their caches.

I've been using favorite points almost exclusively. I still get some fake bolts in guardrails, but that's still better than a hide-a-key

I also take a quick look at a map or aerial photo just to get an idea if the cache is in a patch of woods or groomed park.

I look for long log entries, or logs by other cachers I know that are into the same types of caches the I'm into, and see what they say.

Parks! SC has some great state parks with excellent caches. Even urban parks tend to have better caches than any parking lot cache (IMHO) and don't forget your county parks. You aren't to far from Edisto and Hunting state parks both of which have good caches. Also Francis Marion National Forest. In your area look for Edisto Patto caches, she puts out some good ones.

Look at the map and see where the cache is located, if it is a buisness area and you aren't thrilled with those don't put it on your list. Also go to the local meetings, the locals will help clue you in on the best in your area. Once you find a style of cache you like you will be able to determine what about that style you like and be able to pick them out when you travel.

I agree with what has been said already, about going where you want to go, and looking for the caches in that area.

My favourite way of looking for caches is by using the maps. It really helps to see where everything is geographically (as opposed to looking at nearby lists), and then I can zoom in and look at what the area looks like, and I can easily click on the description. This makes a big difference in finding more caches that I actually enjoy.

With my job I have very little free time. If I'm lucky I get to go caching maybe once a week. Before I go caching I get online and read the cache descriptions. Most of the time they sound fine until you get there and realize you are looking in an empty lot full of garbage, next to the side of a highway. What I'm saying is I'm just really sick of bad caches in bad areas, with absolutely no reasons worth visiting at all. How do you guys screen your caches? What techniques do you use? I'd really like to spend my little free time finding quality caches and not searching abandoned lots full of transients.

My technique is to go look for caches. Then I know.

I guess my problem is that I really only have time to do what's close and they is almost all Micros since I live in a rather urban area. I've also got it in my head to do all the caches on my little island and that also results in lots of micros in empty lots and parking areas.

I the opposite problem in Florida last week. I was in the Ocala national forest and there are literally thousands of caches. Most are just poweline micros. It would take ages to sort through and find good caches. I ended up doing none!

I guess It comes to research. I need to not just load all the nearby cashes, but find caches that sound interesting then load them into my phone.

I find it odd that you have been a member since 2003, yet have only been logging caches since 2011. Does that mean that you joined in 2003, but didn't log any online, or that you joined early, but just recently started to actually hunt caches? Also, I'm glad to see that you have hidden some caches, but 2 of the 3 are micros, the other being a small. I will be the very first to say that a micro isn't necessarily a micro, I do find it a bit odd that you would complain about them.

I hear you loud and clear about lame caches. You are hardly alone in feeling the lack of love for peanut butter jars wrapped in electrical tape tossed into a bush behind the strip mall. But you can filter a lot of caches using the difficulty and terrain ratings, and further filter those with the favorite votes. From what you have left, you should be able to read through the logs and galleries to arrive at a few good caches.

Ultimately, that is my technique as well. I'm still alive and well, so I guess it hasn't been all that bad. The lousy caches only make the good ones look great!

Like many have said, I primarily use the maps to choose by location. If it looks like an interesting area; then most likely I will enjoy it. I also look at the logs and favourite points.

Also personal recommendation. And looking at where others are going. I have one caching friend who is particularly focused on quality caches. I will often look where he's gone, and if his logs are positive, I know it's a good one.

I find it odd that you have been a member since 2003, yet have only been logging caches since 2011. Does that mean that you joined in 2003, but didn't log any online, or that you joined early, but just recently started to actually hunt caches? Also, I'm glad to see that you have hidden some caches, but 2 of the 3 are micros, the other being a small. I will be the very first to say that a micro isn't necessarily a micro, I do find it a bit odd that you would complain about them.

I hear you loud and clear about lame caches. You are hardly alone in feeling the lack of love for peanut butter jars wrapped in electrical tape tossed into a bush behind the strip mall. But you can filter a lot of caches using the difficulty and terrain ratings, and further filter those with the favorite votes. From what you have left, you should be able to read through the logs and galleries to arrive at a few good caches.

I guess I wasnt clear. I have no problem with micros. In fact as you've noticed I've placed a few myself. My issue is placement. My goal with my caches is to bring someone to a pretty area that they might have never seen if they weren't caching. I live in an urban area so micros make the most sense. My issue is the huge amount of caches that are in nasty areas that hold no attraction and me wasting my time trying to find them.

Yes I've been a member for a while. I had a buddy that was really into geocaching. I wanted to see what it was about I checked out the website. I think back then you had to join the site to access much of the information.

Ultimately, that is my technique as well. I'm still alive and well, so I guess it hasn't been all that bad. The lousy caches only make the good ones look great!

YUP! That's what I do, too.

I then walk away thinking:

'That was great!' :)

or

'That really sucked!' :(

To pre-filter, pick caches with five or more favorite points.

You can't deny that you felt entitled to investigate this guys background.. I wonder why you do that? :ph34r:

You can't deny that you felt entitled to investigate this guys background.. I wonder why you do that? :ph34r:

Ouch! there's that "e" word again.

I notice you're from Charleston. Have you hit Hampton park downtown. There were some pretty good ones there on my last visit. Including http://coord.info/GC1HYHE Also http://coord.info/GC563E is one of my favorite virtuals. I suggest doing all the nearby virtuals as they are all in good to great spots. If you have not gone to The Angel Oak then this is a must do: http://coord.info/GC14RYZ not a great cache but an amazing location. I've not had a chance to do this one but it has great reviews: http://coord.info/GC1Z9Y5 This has been on my To Do list for two years: http://coord.info/GC14F8D sadly I never have the time when I'm down.

:)

I feel you, bro. I'm trying to remember to check the logs before I head to a cache in an attempt to avoid the bad areas. I often forget, though. I wanted to grab a quick cache after work today and was led to some blown-out, depressed area where the micro was not even attached to the guardrail anymore. Of course, I would have known this if I had read the logs...but alas. Fortunately, I tried one more before heading home and was led to a really nice cache. :D As others have said, I would check for favorites, read the logs...and hope for the best. :smile:

One of the previous posts really has already answered your question very well. I try to cache every day because of a challenge I am doing. So each day I am looking for different types of caches to do. If I have time and the weather is good I like to walk in to the cache. For me that was walking about 2 hours yesterday to grab a cache in the local city forest--one of ten of a series I am doing, as time permits for a challenge (actually it is part of a mystery cache). On other days I am tired or don't have much time and I try to grab an easier cache. I read cache description, also logs and check favorite points. Favorite points especially if several given. In terms of sorting when going to an area--after researching I bookmark the caches that I want to do and then run a pocket query--that helps to cut down on picking up all kinds of caches (on my phone when I am in an area) and focuses my list on the caches that I feel will be good ones to go after. I always appreciate the work someone was done to put a cache out there--even if it is not great because it has provided me with something to do and some entertainment for the day.

I'm new but I'm going in with the attitude that I'll just take the rough with the smooth.

I'm semi reluctant to head for caches by busy roads or heavily urban caches, mainly because I'd rather not attract attention but also because I'm more interested in getting out in the countryside whenever possible. Did my very first find yesterday evening and it was close to a busy(ish) country road but it was a decent little hide and I was excited to get my first find!

Maybe I'll try a few iffy ones once I get my confidence up, who knows?

Here's what I use:

1) As several others have said, the Favorites system - as vague/arbitrary as it might seem - is actually a pretty good gauge of "good caches". Not every good cache will garner lots of Favorites, but there are almost no "bad caches".

2) GSAK is an amazing program. I started loading my PQs into it then filtering out those with long streaks of DNFs that were likely missing but not yet disabled/archived. I can also filter out cachers that have hides which - for whatever reason - I have found I usually don't enjoy. I also filter all the 1/1s and remove those that appear "pointless". There are various other things that can be (blocking a GC# from being imported into GSAK in the future, mainting and periodically updating a large offline database thanks to the GSAK v8 features, etc). This takes more time and effort, but I personally find it worthwhile.

3) When you find a cache you really do enjoy, see who the CO is. You will find some COs have a similiar mindset to you on what makes a "good cache". There are several Florida COs I have really enjoyed their caches, have added their caches to my To Do list, and will hunt them without a second thought.

I feel you, bro. I'm trying to remember to check the logs before I head to a cache in an attempt to avoid the bad areas. I often forget, though. I wanted to grab a quick cache after work today and was led to some blown-out, depressed area where the micro was not even attached to the guardrail anymore. Of course, I would have known this if I had read the logs...but alas. Fortunately, I tried one more before heading home and was led to a really nice cache. :D As others have said, I would check for favorites, read the logs...and hope for the best. :smile:

Just thought I'd mention, if you had a premium membership, and a device capable of paperless Geocaching, then you could take at least some of the logs with you. :) (Even a Nuvi car GPS, which isn't designed for paperless Geocaching, can be capable of storing extra cache info when used with GSAK and a Nuvi specific macro.) Not to mention have access to Pocket Queries which let you download up to 1000 caches per query, including description, hint, logs, and so on.

Another option is to print out the pages for caches in the area(s) you might want to do Geocaching in. Get the same basic info, but it requires more work.

Domromer, I know you! You were FTF on two of our caches- the ammo can & the tape measure. We just recently moved here to Charleston, & we've noticed the lack of good caches in the area. We're thinking about throwing an 11-11-11 event to get to know some cachers, & then feeling the waters for creating some sort of organization so we can fix the issue. We're not terribly sure how to go about it, or if anyone around here would even be interested...that's what's been holding us back. Would it even be well received?

Just thought I'd mention, if you had a premium membership, and a device capable of paperless Geocaching, then you could take at least some of the logs with you. :) (Even a Nuvi car GPS, which isn't designed for paperless Geocaching, can be capable of storing extra cache info when used with GSAK and a Nuvi specific macro.) Not to mention have access to Pocket Queries which let you download up to 1000 caches per query, including description, hint, logs, and so on.

Another option is to print out the pages for caches in the area(s) you might want to do Geocaching in. Get the same basic info, but it requires more work.

Thanks for the advice. :D It is my plan to be active in the sport for 90 days before committing to a membership. I've enjoyed my first month so much that I'm sure I'll go ahead and get the Premium Membership after I've checked everything out for 90 days. In the same respect, I won't place a cache until I've been in the sport for a year. I suppose the 90-days & One Year are arbitrary time tables...but that's just the way I do things. I have access to all the logs from each cache on my iPhone. It's just a matter of remembering to hit the button before I'm led to an undesirable area. I'm learning alot & taking alot of notes during my first month in the sport and it really is alot of fun! :D

Agreeing with the Favorite Votes tool.

I tend to look at the Favorites, find one that has a D/T rating I can handle, then start there. After finding the Favored cache, I tend to look up nearby caches in my app, then read the last few logs to see what the last finders thought. Sometimes though I drive all the way out to the next nearest cache area before reading the last few logs and wish I hadn't wasted the gas.

Another tool that I like is the greasemonkey script GCVote. It's an additional help when doing research at home (my app doesn't incorporate it so I can't use it on the fly). I few people are using it in your area so it might be worth looking at. Anything rated under 3 stars may go on my ignore list, but first I read the description and logs to be sure it's something I want to skip.

I go for any cache - some that have lots of favorite points I have found ho-hum, whilst others with no favorite points I have found to be just great.

Are you trying to say the favorites system could be flawed? :o

Do you think that if every finder could rate caches as they see fit we might have a truer view of the quality (or lack of) for each cache? :unsure:

Satellite views can help, but even then you can be led astray: I recently attempted a multi which started in a nice park but ended up by the side of a river with flood detritus, empty beer bottles, fast food wrappers, and even a pair of panties. Plus it was a DNF -- pretty sure the cache was washed away, but the local who plans to check it (the owner seems offline for good) hasn't done so yet. :shrug: (Why did I choose it? Highway break. Would I do it again? Probably only if the final GZ of the multi were changed and that noted in the description.)

Favourite points can help, but people favourite the darndest things sometimes, so it's a help, not a guarantee.

If you don't mind the risk of spoilers, reading the logs is good (I check the date of the last find, or the number of DNFs if the recent entries are DNFs) but that's all; I save the logs until I want a spoiler. But hiders can (and sometimes will) delete critical DNFs or notes, so I'd concentrate on positive non-formulaic logs to help spot above average caches.

Where logs are very basic it can be for a number of reasons:

o what do you say about a well described 1.5/1.5 that says it's in a nice neighbourhood park and is, other than "Thanks for the cache"?

o sometimes cachers are unimaginative or rushed and just want to get the find logged: TFTC isn't informative (or flattering for the cache owner) but it needn't be damning by faint praise either

o what do you say about a bad location, that won't cause undue offense to the owner? I might say "Nice multi, pity about the litter at GZ now" in case GZ used to be pleasant and the hider doesn't realise it's changed, but maybe it's always been that way -- how do I know?

Ultimately, I have to force myself to move on sometimes: if I'm in an urban area with other caches close by (as it sounds like you are) and you find a GZ that doesn't appeal, just go on to the next cache and perhaps remember the hiders's name: some hiders persistently choose really lame locations. There's one local hider whose caches I put on my ignore list as soon as I see them, mostly for that reason. (But other local cachers I know tolerate the locations for the quality of the hides ... opinions vary. A lot.)

Pointless cache locations are a bit like muggles and DNFs: a fact of life. This week though I've found two really brilliant hides, which offsets the lame "needle in a haystack" (actually, plastic container in (sharp -- ouch) sword grass) locations I've also been at this week. Win some, lose some, and use your own favourite points and logs to steer the rest of us to the better caches out there.

Dunno if this helps or not.