100 finds in 1 day?

I am trying to figure out how this is even possible. Can anyone enlighten me? What sort of planning goes into a feat like this?

Thanks,

omadarlin

Try 1500 or what ever the record is now, mind you it does take a lot of planning and stamina.

My record is 65 and that was walking and only took 6 1/2 hours with not much planning.

Edited by [Roman]

Some folks can achieve even higher numbers! Our highest was around 29, but in the long days of summer, with an early start and late finish I could see us making it. Just thinking about it makes me tired, though - and when I'm tired I get cranky. Maybe not a good idea for me!

I did 101 finds without multiple cars or anything like that in one day...that included earth caches, webcams, virtuals and almost all by different owners and included not knowing the area. 100 can be done. Know folks who have gotten 150 finds without power trails, though, was not there to know their methods.

Its when you get ET or route 66 highway and the like, you will see high skewed statistics for # of finds in one day. Obviously its more of a grind than a difficulty, finding 500+ caches in a row with 4 people, multiple cars, container swapping...whatever, on the same trail, with the same hide, over and over and over and over.

So, 100 in a day, no matter how you slice it. Possible.

Vehicle, stamp, gps. Easier with more than 1 person.

100 is no problem

Pocket Q of low terrain and Diff in a target rich area

write down the order starting at number 1 and ending at 100 on a pad of paper

have a GPS that holds hinds Descrip etc. and you will see how easy it is.

a NUVI 500 or 550 for driving and description of cache

SS

In the right area, you could get 100+ finds before lunchtime.

WAY before lunchtime.

There is a small power trail in our area we left at 7am drove 45 minutes before getting to the first cache and by noon we had 75 ended the day with over 100 and still got home before dinner.

Power Trails or multi-car caching excluded, getting 100 caches in a day is a challenge that I find rewarding. For the last three years, I've organized a 101 on 1-01 run where some friends and I try to start out the new year by getting 101 caches. I hand pick low difficulty/low terrain caches in a high density area (San Fernando Valley) and premap the sequence and get a car of friends to go for it. We use all of the technology available to us...which is LOTS.

First Year: we succeeded

Second Year: We were in two cars working the same list from opposite directions...each car had to get it's own 101 caches. 40 caches into the day, one car lost its alternator 250 feet from a Sears, where they could buy a battery to get home, but no alternator 80 miles from home. Both cars quit so the good one could follow the injured car. FAIL

Third Year: Bad planning added a hike and an all-terrain vehicle trail. FAIL

So, although possible, it's not an easy task to do unless you do a power trail. January 1st is coming up. Start the New Year with a challenge.

I am trying to figure out how this is even possible. Can anyone enlighten me? What sort of planning goes into a feat like this?

Thanks,

omadarlin

Now remember, grasshopper, concern yourself not with the numbers but rather with the overall experience of locating caches your way and yadda, yadda, yadda, etc., etc...

I've only been geocaching for a bit over a year, but I've seen older challenge caches with the challenge being to find over 100 caches in a 24 hour period as the logging requirement. Before the days of power trails (which made those challenge caches easy), how did people get 100 in a day?

Before the days of power trails (which made those challenge caches easy), how did people get 100 in a day?
Before the days of modern numbers run trails, people were finding 300-400 caches in a 24-hour period. How? The short version is that they had a target-rich environment and lots of planning.

The long version is in the Cacheopedia article.

The modern numbers run trails just provide a target-rich environment that needs much less planning.

108 finds in one day. 13hours.

look between york and malton.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=a3ef229d-84b6-48b7-926a-1cd63f31aa6b

very good, took 13 hours to do 107, then one on the way homw, well worth it, best not to do it alown, and bring plenty of drinks, and a coat, also make sure your up for it, as it took a lot out of me, and i do a fair bit of walking.

whats the most people have done

WAY before lunchtime.

Yep, I've done it a couple of times. My daily record is 106 finds and we stopped caching before dinner. Had we kept going, could have easily gone to 150+ without even trying.

I found 30 yesterday alone in less than two hours.

I did 101 finds without multiple cars or anything like that in one day...that included earth caches, webcams, virtuals and almost all by different owners and included not knowing the area. 100 can be done. Know folks who have gotten 150 finds without power trails, though, was not there to know their methods.

Its when you get ET or route 66 highway and the like, you will see high skewed statistics for # of finds in one day. Obviously its more of a grind than a difficulty, finding 500+ caches in a row with 4 people, multiple cars, container swapping...whatever, on the same trail, with the same hide, over and over and over and over.

So, 100 in a day, no matter how you slice it. Possible.

+1

You don't need a power trail or a stamp or multiple vehicles to do 100 caches in a day, as long as the cache density is heavy enough that you can avoid a lot of driving time between caches. In my 105 cache trip (which is not really bragging material these days), we used Microsoft Streets & Trips to carefully plan the route for efficiency. We had a variety of cache sizes and hiding styles, some urban, some suburban. We made sure that every one had nearby parking and that they had been found recently. Bring food and water, of course... you won't want to take the time to stop for meals. Get up early, and get home late. That's about it.

My record is 19. They were all rural, most required some hiking, none were park and grabs. I think this is much more fun than 100 LPCs in the city.

Have you ever participated in, say, a 3-legged race or burlap bag race at a picnic? I sure wouldn't want to have to walk around like that on a regular basis, but it sure can be a great time on occasion!

I found 133 in a day this summer. My next highest total is 28.

The 133 was on a "power trail" - of sorts. Most of the caches were by the same owner. They were an average of .75 to 1 mile apart. Most of them you could park within 100 feet of the cache; some of them needed up to a half a mile walk. Most of the hides were similar, but that didn't make them all easy. We had 12 DNFs. We cached for 11 hours straight; with only a brief lunch break. There were 2 of us; my brother-in-law drove and I navigated. We both looked for all of the caches.

We had a ball. We were in nice scenery in the middle of nowhere. And in spite of the lack of any single long walk, we felt physically tired at the end of the day. Not something I'd do everyday, but still was fun.

This cache was the last find of the day. We then drove past another 10 or so without stopping as we had to get home.

My record is 19. They were all rural, most required some hiking, none were park and grabs. I think this is much more fun than 100 LPCs in the city.

Have you ever participated in, say, a 3-legged race or burlap bag race at a picnic? I sure wouldn't want to have to walk around like that on a regular basis, but it sure can be a great time on occasion!

+1

It's definitely possible, and you've been given a lot of great advice so far, so I won't repeat anything, but I suggest that rather than worrying about getting 100 in a day, take it one step at a time, and if you want to, try to beat your personal best by 5, and see how you do with that, and work your way up to it, then you don't set yourself up for frustration. I remember when I first started caching, and we thought that getting 10 in a day was impossible. We found four in a row one time, and said we were on a 'rampage!' It was so exciting. Now 10-15 is a pretty typical day for us depending on where we are.

63 finds on 05. Sep. 2011

1271 finds on 05. Nov. 2010

I worship your massive amount of finds. You are a god on earth. I mean, I used to think the same about almolgul, but he doesn't brag about finding 1200 film cans a day like you! In fact, I've never seen you with a post where you didn't brag! You truly deserve a geocaching award!

I worship your massive amount of finds. You are a god on earth. I mean, I used to think the same about almolgul, but he doesn't brag about finding 1200 film cans a day like you! In fact, I've never seen you with a post where you didn't brag! You truly deserve a geocaching award!

And the gloves are off!

Based on the number, I thought this must be a bumped thread from five years ago.

You know, I thought that too when I first saw the thread a couple days ago. But I see the OP is from Ohio. Ironically enough, they could legally (for lack of a better term) find 130 caches in one day next weekend. And to heck with that 528 foot nonsense, why not make them as close as 100 feet apart? http://coord.ch/GC2Z0EC

thumbs-up-jpg.png

My record day is somewhere around 70. It might be 70, I'm not sure.

I used to go out with one friend and we used to pick a cache rich area and clean it out.

It was pretty tiring.

Lately I've been into low numbers. I've had a much better time.

Last weekend I found ONE cache.

Last weekend I went with a group of people into a old mine shaft WAY up in the mountains miles down a dirt road. There was a new cache at the mine. We walked through the entire mine while one guy gave us the entire history of the mine and all the information on each piece of mining equipment we found in the mine.

Then we went to another old mining site (no caches) then we went to a really nice waterfall (again, no caches).

Really had a blast. It was a lot more fun than 10 of those numbers runs combined.

scroll down to see my log

A few weeks ago I found 3 caches on one day.

That was one of the best times I have ever had geocaching.

log for cache

I planned a numbers run with my friend again recently and then canceled on her.

There are too many good caches that take all day.

I don't have time for number runs.

I want to be able to log our 4000th find in Japan this December, and we were sitting at just over 3700 until this weekend. With the better half of hzoi out of town, I made a couple runs to some cache-rich areas (read: power trails). I logged 100 on Sunday, about 75 of them were in the same area of national forest and then 25 were on another stretch of road. Logged 70-odd the day before in another national forest and 10 or so Friday night.

And now I never have to do that again.

WAY before lunchtime.

There is a small power trail in our area we left at 7am drove 45 minutes before getting to the first cache and by noon we had 75 ended the day with over 100 and still got home before dinner.

I heard about that. I need to get the GC codes from you or Gummi for it.

We have done 60 in a day, 100 in a day-as Scuba said-in a cache rich area is pretty easy. I did 20 yesterday and that was just dinking around the suburbs for a few hours.

Boy for being such a young guy you sure are a fatso maybe you should try finding 1271 caches in a day maybe you might loose some weight. Guess I will see you on Ripleys Believe it or not in a few years and it won't be for caching I bet

SS

User's Profile:

http://coord.info/PRJV0Q

------------------------------------------------------------

Forward abuse complaints to: contact@geocaching.com

Considering the ridiculousness of this email, it was not hard to think of comebacks. However, I figure the best comeback is to post the contents here. Clearly you did not want people to judge you for what you wanted to say to me, otherwise you would have posted it on these forums. Now you can be judged by all... Enjoy!

And on that note...IBTL

Boy for being such a young guy you sure are a fatso maybe you should try finding 1271 caches in a day maybe you might loose some weight. Guess I will see you on Ripleys Believe it or not in a few years and it won't be for caching I bet

SS

User's Profile:

http://coord.info/PRJV0Q

------------------------------------------------------------

Forward abuse complaints to: contact@geocaching.com

Considering the ridiculousness of this email, it was not hard to think of comebacks. However, I figure the best comeback is to post the contents here. Clearly you did not want people to judge you for what you wanted to say to me, otherwise you would have posted it on these forums. Now you can be judged by all... Enjoy!

And on that note...IBTL

IBTL :ph34r:

Read the Forum Guidelines

Here are some things to keep in mind when posting:

1. Forum courtesy: Please treat Groundspeak, its employees, volunteers, fellow community members, and guests on these boards with courtesy and respect. Whether a community member has one post or 5,000 posts, they should be treated fairly.

3. Personal attacks and inflammatory behavior will not be tolerated. If you want to praise or criticize, give examples as to why it is good or bad. General attacks on a person or idea will not be tolerated.

It's generally considered bad form to post the contents of private communications on the public forum.

Abusive emails can be reported to Groundspeak. It's a sticky right at the top of this forum:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=238349

That would have been the more appropriate and mature way to deal with it.

IBTL

Edited by Pup Patrol

It's generally considered bad form to post the contents of private communications on the public forum.

Abusive emails can be reported to Groundspeak.

IBTL

I realize two wrong's don't make a right. But I don't think that the e-mail itself was good form. I didn't want to argue with someone over an e-mail (Nor argue on the forums for that matter) arguing gets you nowhere. It would just be me throwing insults back, and I don't want to throw insults back and forth over the internet, it just seems counterintuitive.

EDIT: I didn't think about doing it the other way.

Edited by Coldgears

No personal attacks please. Let's stay on subject.

I have experience at power trails....and I love them. However....that certainly doesn't make me a good 'finder'. In fact, I'm kinda poor at spotting caches in bushes....and therefore I don't like bush hides.

Anyways.... what I meant to say was.... last weekend I found 650 caches on Saturday, and 850 on Sunday...without much effort (other than focusing on the gps). However, now that I'm home, I am struggling to find 50 in a day. The density and difficulty of an area dictates the find rate. We consider any day with over 40 finds as a 'good day' of geocaching.

No personal attacks please. Let's stay on subject.

I agree, there is still time to allow this thread to go back on topic. I should have never derailed it so much.

Anyway, if you want to get 100+ caches, and powertrails are not your cup of tea. You could always find a bike/hike trail. Grab a bike, attach it to your car and drive off. You can probably get 200 caches within a couple of hours, plenty of exercise, and enjoy nature along the trail. An easy way to find this is by zooming out on your map and looking for a huge line. Another way I like to use is to go back and look threw all my old Groundspeak weekly news letter's. Scroll down through (new caches this week) and look for any caches similair in naming usually just with a different number. Sometimes these are series around a large area, but many times its a long bike/hike trail.

These are my favorite type of trails, because with a Kia you can't really do the "off-roading" required for most power-trails on the east-coast. You can't really put a bunch of caches on I-95...