Creepy cache towns/areas?

With Halloween right around the corner, I've been wondering what are some creepy (but fun) caching towns or areas. We live in Chicago and a few months back decided to head up to Kenosha, WI for a night of caching outside of our comfort zone. We didn't do any checking before hand on the specific caches in town, only checked for quantity and a good area to start. One after the other, the caches got creepier and creepier, with tales of hauntings, ground that breathes, and cemeteries so old and uncared for that your likely to end up with one foot in the grave, literally.

This got me thinking that there must be some other areas that are full of spooky caches.

My caching brother and his wife loved visiting cemeteries in the dark. Until they had a strange and frightening experience in the graveyard 10 years ago. A flowing black figure came out of a sudden thick fog floating toward my brother and his wife. They fled in fear...vowing never to go into a cemeteray in the dark again.

Knowing this, I hid a cache for his 100th find in the flower urn beside our dad's stone.....the same graveyard where they had this experience.

I e-mailed him the coords and gave instructions that he was to find it at night for the thrill of it. This was a cache just for them. Inside was a 100th find geocoin, a TB in memory of our dad and a camo can with a spring snake inside(hehehe).

It took a couple of weeks, with a lot of teasing back and forth, before my brother and his wife finally went for this cache in the dark.

They quickly made their way to the stone. They made the find and took pictures to prove they were there in the dark as instructed.

They were relieved to make it back to the car. When they got home they looked at the pictures they had taken. The last picture they had taken as they were leaving had a strange glowing green light in it. It was about 4 feet tall standing amid the stones.

Now they swear that really is the last time they will ever go into a cemetery at night.

With Halloween right around the corner, I've been wondering what are some creepy (but fun) caching towns or areas. We live in Chicago and a few months back decided to head up to Kenosha, WI for a night of caching outside of our comfort zone. We didn't do any checking before hand on the specific caches in town, only checked for quantity and a good area to start. One after the other, the caches got creepier and creepier, with tales of hauntings, ground that breathes, and cemeteries so old and uncared for that your likely to end up with one foot in the grave, literally.

This got me thinking that there must be some other areas that are full of spooky caches.

When I was in Montana skiing a few years ago the guide asked me where I was from. When I told her I was from Wisconsin she immediately said, "Oh! Do have any ghost stories? People from Wisconsin always have such great ghost stories!" This question took be by surprise at first but when I considered it I found that I could remember 3 or 4 really good ones off the top of my head that had either happened to me or my family members. Many other Wisconsinites are the same way. So what may be creepy to you is common place for us. B)

What's that place that has had a coal seam burning under it since the sixties? Pardon my poor geography skills, but is it Centralia? I bet that place would be terrifying to cache in. Old abandoned town with steam coming up through cracks in the earth. *shudders at the thought*

I think so. Centralia, PA, I believe.

Correct. I've visited there back in 2006. Neat place.

What's that place that has had a coal seam burning under it since the sixties? Pardon my poor geography skills, but is it Centralia? I bet that place would be terrifying to cache in. Old abandoned town with steam coming up through cracks in the earth. *shudders at the thought*

I think so. Centralia, PA, I believe.

Correct. I've visited there back in 2006. Neat place.

Centralia is so boring I almost become suicidal. If you go up that way, travel 3 miles south to walk in an actual coal mine, and ride a cart. I've been through centralia about 25 times in my life, and I always just drive by (We go to knoebles once a year, sometimes twice.) It's more of something you want to stop for 3 minutes while your going that way anyway.

im halfway through setting up a cache using reflective trail markers as eyes, the first coordinates take you to the gate of an old local cemetery and you have to follow the eyes around using a torch till you get to the foot of my dads grave where a micro will be hidden in the flower part on the foot of his grave. He woulda got a laugh outa it im even gonna call it saying hi to dad :)

Yes, you mean Centralia, PA.

I was just there over Labor Day weekend. It was a really cool place to see the steam coming right up out of the ground. We were there on a sunny warm day and it waasn't too spooky, just kinda sad. There aren't many houses, just a few, but streets leading to nowhere. I don't know how to add a picture or I could add a couple.

Around the Sharon, PA area, there is a series of caches, called the Zombie Nation Uprising. You have to visit 15 cemeteries to gather digits, then arrange the digits in the correct order to find the final. We really had a great time doing this one.

There is also a cache near New Castle but the fifth stage was missing and that was the one where you found out how to use the clues. So we didn't get to find the final. But this one had all its stages either near a cemetery or where someone had died strangely.

Oh, and one more we did, called BabyDoll Rooftop, near Knox, PA. This one is an old shack where a wedding dress is sometimes hanging in the window and sometimes on the ground. There are dolls on the roof of the shack and some standing guard on the trail to the shack. This one could really be spooky at night.

Edited by QuiltinNana

There is a town here that once upon a time was a flourishing and well to do little village. With the local coal mines providing stable employment and generous income the families that lived here were all well to do. However as time passed and the coal was tapped out the jobs and money became less and less... the government purchased houses in the town from these families and sold them on as cheap as chips. Eventually the mines closed and the houses were sold and rented to people who couldnt give a rats about them.

These days the houses that are left are owned by drug ruled hobos and the rest are creaky and falling apart with several burnt out places, a smashed up shop and over grown sections. It is now a ghost town - even the train doesnt pass through the town anymore.

I went to find a cache there at night once - alone as well. I swore to myself that never again would i go there alone! you can seriously feel the eyes of all the druggies on you and the ghosts of the towns past inhabitants watching you.

GC206DE is the code of the only cache in the town (surprise sunrise no one else has hidden there)

here is a site about the town itself - which paints it as being more lovely than it is! http://www.westernsouthland.co.nz/pages/viewtown.php?town=4

There are a lot of great "lost places" in Germany that have creepy caching: abandoned bunkers, hospitals, prisons, military bases, etc.

My top 3 (unfortunately all involve caches that are now archived):

#3: Alcatraz, a multicache that took you through different areas of an abandoned German immigration prison outside of Zweibrücken.

#2: Freddy Krueger's Grave, a "Nightmare on Elm Street" themed cache that was set in an abandoned US base outside of Kaiserslautern, which was creepy enough by itself.

#1: Beelitz-Heilstätten, a small town just off the A-9 Autobahn southwest of Berlin. The north half of town consists of a hospital complex that dates back to the 1800s. It became a military hospital; Hitler recovered here after he was wounded in World War I. The Russians took it over in 1945 and ran it until well after the reunification of Germany in 1990; after that the hospital was essentially abandoned. There used to be more caches in the abandoned hospitals themselves than there are today; we tried searching some up but hadn't come fully prepared with flashlights, so we just enjoyed the creepiness.