Sideways pictures in logs? Why?

It appears that some people that upload pictures to post with their logs, are not even taking the time to make sure they are upright. Why?

I love looking at pictures but I have noticed lately that more and more of them have not been pre-viewed before uploading. This is annoying to me. I would rather the people not post pictures at all than to post something they do not care enough about to even bother turning them for proper viewing.

I was looking at the pictures in some of the challenges and noticed this happening fairly regularly.

So, am I over reacting or does it bother you in the slightest?

Shirley~

I love looking at pictures but I have noticed lately that more and more of them have not been pre-viewed before uploading. This is annoying to me. I would rather the people not post pictures at all than to post something they do not care enough about to even bother turning them for proper viewing.

I was looking at the pictures in some of the challenges and noticed this happening fairly regularly.

Meh. In the case of many challenges, posting a photo often is required.

Meh. In the case of many challenges, posting a photo often is required.

I uploaded a picture from my iphone (plugged into my computer) and it uploaded it sideways.

I normally would not have cared as a geocache log will allow you to rotate the picture (and crop as required) afterwards. It turns out that functionality does not exist on the challenge submissions. I also was not able to remove the photo and re-upload.

They might fix that, but for the time being, that is why you are seeing sideways photos.

The one I logged came through the right way around, though maybe it was because I used the mobile app.

Why don't they use the same picture upload code for challenges as they do for caches? Why rewrite it, in the process losing functionality and stability of the one you already have? That seems so inefficient. :blink:

Remember... there really is no "up" or "top" to a smartphone. As you rotate the phone, they flip the picture. If uploaded from a smartphone, they probably don't even realize that it is sideways.

Not sure how you do it on a Mac, but on a PC (at least as far back as XP), there is a right-click context menu option to rotate pictures. You don't even need special software to do it.

Groundspeak could add a rotation option to the picture viewer, I suppose.

Following an update last year, an image I posted with a cache log came out sideways, even though I had rotated it prior to upload. I wasn't able to rotate it on the site for the longest time.

Challenges seem to have a lot of these images...maybe that will change sometime..............

Edited by popokiiti

I have noticed that sometimes my landscape photos uploaded from iOS devices will display properly on said device through the app (or when viewing the image from Safari on the device) but when you load same image over the web on a Mac or PC they seemed to be oriented the wrong way.

Are the browsers not interpreting the JPG metadata properly? Is it a conspiracy? I don't know, but it IS annoying.

It appears that some people that upload pictures to post with their logs, are not even taking the time to make sure they are upright. Why?

oh i HATE when people email me pics from their iphones and don't bother orienting them correctly.

equally hated are iphone videos that are portrait mode.

Shirley~

cat,cats,animal,cute,funny-4a75f1dec98aa01b8310daf2e3ce7518_h_large.jpg?1291829295

Shirley~

cat,cats,animal,cute,funny-4a75f1dec98aa01b8310daf2e3ce7518_h_large.jpg?1291829295

:laughing: Yes, that is me trying to view these silly pictures!

A bit off topic, but why are some people able to upload pictures in different sizes? That is, sometimes I see a nice big picture, but when I upload pictures, they are of moderate size. Am I missing something?

I see that some (or all?) of the photos in your gallery are 600x450 pixels in size. Most of mine are the same size because I resize them using photo editing software before I upload them to Groundspeak. Photos will appear bigger if people don't resize their photos or resize them to larger dimensions.

Do you resize your pictures?

I uploaded correct pictures in challlenges twice and they came out sideways. I found NO tool or editing function to flip them over correctly. This is needed badly as I agree that these sideway pictures are looking bad !!

If there is a way to edit them - let me know now !

Are the browsers not interpreting the JPG metadata properly?

I don't know about the browser, but Groundspeak is certainly ignoring the metadata. If they actually used it, we'd never have any problems with incorrectly oriented photos. With the current and increasingly wide-spread use of mobile phones for caching and logging, this is desperately needed.

Metadata is optional. If you want your pictures to be oriented the right way universally, use the metadata to modify the picture data to reflect the correct orientation before using them anywhere else. Or, in other words, use "jhead -autorot" or similar before uploading!

same people that post sideways vids on youtube: iphone owners. elitists that think its not their job.