Jump to content

cache pre-approval


Mopar

Recommended Posts

This came up in IRC chat today, and it just goes to show that great minds think alike (and so do brdad and I!). We came up with a slight modification of the cache posting process, that would require one extra step, but possibly a worthwhile one.

Hider submits a cache for approval, just as is done now.

TPTB approve or deny the cache, just as is done now.

*IF* the cache is approved, it is posted, but not "activated" yet. It would not show up in cache searches, nor would it go out in the new cache emails at this time.

Cache hider "activates" the cache, via a button on the cache page

There is really only one minor extra step involved here, but several benefits.

The biggest one is the cache hider no longer has to actually PLACE the cache container before submitting the cache. Right now, you pretty much have to, because you never know when it will be approved. This way, if the cache is denied, there is no geolitter out there waiting to be picked back up. Also, the GCID can be included on the cache and in the log book, and even included on the printed "you found it!" sheet. This would make it ALOT easier for noncachers, authorities, etc to locate the cache on the website.

Yes, all this can be done now, just not easily. You can request that the cache approver disable the cache upon posting it, but that make more work for the approver, as that has to manually be done, and the included text in the cache page edited out. Also it still goes out in the cache mailings, and shows up on the cache lists. You can always go back and add the GCID to the cache later, too. But that tends to limit you to quick and dirty means like magic marker or pen. Creative types could paint/carve/engrave/etc the GCID onto a cache, if they had time. Custom logbooks could be make up, if they had the time. Plus there is still the geolitter issue. I wonder how many people (especially those newbies that find a cache, place a cache, then loose interest) don't bother to retrieve a cache that was declined for approval.

 

The table is open for discussion!

 

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

Link to post

ANd if you have already placed it, you can activate it at the time you wish, like midnight Friday. I'd still want to place the cache first, just to get the coordinates. Otherwise I'd have to make two trips up the mountain, one for the coordinates, one with the cache.

-Jennifer

 

Nothing is really work unless you would rather be doing something else. (JM Barrie)

Link to post

quote:
Originally posted by Jennifer & Dean:

ANd if you have already placed it, you can activate it at the time you wish, like midnight Friday. I'd still want to place the cache first, just to get the coordinates. Otherwise I'd have to make two trips up the mountain, one for the coordinates, one with the cache.

-Jennifer


Another good point, this puts the activation time in the hiders hands, say if they wanted to co-ordinate the release of several caches, or wait for a weekend to give the most people shot at a FTF prize.

As for 2 trips up the mountain, I've only hidden 3 caches so far, but all three required multiple trips, to scout the location, and average waypoints and stuff. But the nice thing is, this idea works either way.

 

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

Link to post

quote:
Originally posted by Sissy-n-CR:

I like this idea! Wished I had it earlier!

 

Er, you mean the cache is approved disabled, right? ...versus approved enabled?


That's correct, CR.

 

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

Link to post

We need this feature! The geo-litter reason alone is probably enough, but it would be so nice to be able to have the cache listed when the owner is ready.

 

KYtrex

-----------------

War doesn't determine who's right. War determines who's left

Link to post

And it should somewhat lessen the load for the approvers, since the submissions should therefore be spread out more evenly throughout the week (submit it on tuesday, approve it on wednesday, place it thursday, and activate the mad-dash on Friday).

 

I know I'd definitely use that feature if TPTB were to implement it...

 

Cache well, and see ya round the bend...

Link to post

quote:
Originally posted by Sissy-n-CR:

I like this idea! Wished I had it earlier!

 

Er, you mean the cache is approved disabled, right? ...versus approved enabled?


quote:
Originally posted by Mopar:

That's correct, CR.


 

This isn't quite good enough, because disabled caches still show up on the bottom of the page. If I know this is the process, and I see a *new* disabled cache, I will go try for it just in case it's already there. It needs to be a special unactivated status so that it only shows up on the hiders My Cache page and no where else.

 

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

Link to post

quote:
Originally posted by Marky:

This isn't quite good enough, because disabled caches still show up on the bottom of the page. If I know this is the process, and I see a *new* disabled cache, I will go try for it just in case it's already there. It needs to be a special unactivated status so that it only shows up on the hiders My Cache page and no where else.


Quite right, Marky. I thought I made that clear in my 1st post. The way I envision it working, the cache approval process would have 2 steps. The admins here review the cache, and give it the stamp of approval, then the hider completes the second step by pressing the "activate" button. Until both actions take place, the cache stays in that unapproved limbo where its unavailable for viewing except by the hider and the admins, just like an unapproved cache is now.

 

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

Link to post

I just thought approving it disabled would be a trivial change.

 

If TPTB have to create another variable, then what about a checkbox on the report-a-cache page that says something to the effect "hold delivery" or something. If you check it, it goes up for approval but waits for you to release it. Unchecked, it works as it does now.

 

...or alternately the box could say "for immediate release upon approval" and it works the opposite of above. Checked, it's released right away, etc.

 

You know some user is going to complain if you make them do more work to place a cache.

 

Otherwise, I still think it a great idea.

 

CR

 

72057_2000.gif

Link to post

...you have another thought?

 

Concern: Approval process. You'd still have to at least make a scouting trip to get permission, a hiding spot, and reading before submitting, right?

 

I can see this opening a whole can of worms.

 

Sure, it'd be good for areas with blanket permission and very sparce cache density.

 

Another issue: with the waypoint ID situation yet to be resolved, I can see people pre-submitting caches that never materialize and the waypoint ID is wasted. The march to "rollover" might increase. We could be trading the problem of unapproved placed caches with unplaced approved caches. At this point, I don't think TPTB think dead waypoint IDs are trivial.

 

Yet another issue: (stop me as I'm on a roll! icon_wink.gif I can be such a pessimist.)

What about people who find the perfect spot and get the cache pre-approved, but then just sit on it? Then another person wants to place in the same spot. He has no idea that the spot is already taken. What's the approver to do? [solution: approval good for 30 days then rescinded unless released.]

 

Don't get me wrong, I still like the idea. I just think the above need to be addressed.

 

CR

 

72057_2000.gif

Link to post

quote:
Originally posted by Sissy-n-CR:

Concern: Approval process. You'd still have to at least make a scouting trip to get permission, a hiding spot, and reading before submitting, right?


 

That does seem to be a major issue. Without accurate coordinates the cache could be near a railroad line, a dam, in an National Park, etc. Approvers need to see the final location and text to be able to judge the cache.

 

Before proximity became an issue in cache approval I created a virtual cache at a historic location. A day or two later someone else created a cache about 100 feet away at the same memorial. Both were approved, and both are still active. Now that proximity is an issue and a growing problem, I would not want to wait to place a cache if I found a good spot so I would not loose it.

 

I actually think this would increase the load on approvers since there may be a concern that you would have to go back and check to see what finally happened with the cache.

Link to post

Somewhat related to this discussion, I'd like to see the caches on the 'nearest' list organized by date approved or date activated, rather than date listed.

 

In an active area, a cache could bypass the first page completely if there is a delay in approval.

 

Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Link to post

quote:
Originally posted by Sissy-n-CR:

Concern: Approval process. You'd still have to at least make a scouting trip to get permission, a hiding spot, and reading before submitting, right?

 

I can see this opening a whole can of worms.


Why is that? you DO do this already, don't you? I hope you don't just walk down a path and toss out a cache and hit the mark button on your gps. You should be making those trips to get permission, scout the hiding place, and average the GPS readings BEFORE actually leaving a cache there anyway. Where's the can of worms?

 

quote:
Originally posted by Sissy-n-CR:

Another issue: with the waypoint ID situation yet to be resolved, I can see people pre-submitting caches that never materialize and the waypoint ID is wasted. The march to "rollover" might increase. We could be trading the problem of unapproved placed caches with unplaced approved caches. At this point, I don't think TPTB think dead waypoint IDs are trivial.

 

Yet another issue: (stop me as I'm on a roll! icon_wink.gif I can be such a pessimist.)

What about people who find the perfect spot and get the cache pre-approved, but then just sit on it? Then another person wants to place in the same spot. He has no idea that the spot is already taken. What's the approver to do? [solution: approval good for 30 days then rescinded unless released.]


These 2 are really the same issue. I did think about it, I just wanted to wait and see if I was the only cynical one. I think your right, a 30 days would be enough time to place it, after it was approved. I would hope nobody "geosquatted" on good areas, just in case they wanted to place a cache there someday. I doubt many people would go thru the trouble to submit a cache, and not follow thru placing it, but if that did become an issue, they could be deleted after x number of days unactivated.

Hiders who found a spot near another cache waiting to be activated would be told just that, too close to another cache in the system. Again, I doubt this would happen often, if at all.

 

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

Link to post

quote:
Originally posted by mtn-man:

That does seem to be a major issue. Without accurate coordinates the cache could be near a railroad line, a dam, in an National Park, etc. Approvers need to see the final location and text to be able to judge the cache.

 

Before proximity became an issue in cache approval I created a virtual cache at a historic location. A day or two later someone else created a cache about 100 feet away at the same memorial. Both were approved, and both are still active. Now that proximity is an issue and a growing problem, I would not want to wait to place a cache if I found a good spot so I would not loose it.

 

I actually think this would increase the load on approvers since there may be a concern that you would have to go back and check to see what finally happened with the cache.


Not really, as far as the approval process goes on your end, it should stay the same. The hider will already have the location and cache page in order. I suspect alot of people will have still already physically placed the cache, and just hit "activate" once its approved. Besides, as it stands now, after my cache is approved, I can STILL go back and make major changes to it, like text, discription, cache type, and location, without having a cache approver look it over. Zero increase in your workload.

 

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

Link to post

quote:
Originally posted by Mopar:

Why is that? you DO do this already, don't you? I hope you don't just walk down a path and toss out a cache and hit the mark button on your gps. You should be making those trips to get permission, scout the hiding place, and average the GPS readings BEFORE actually leaving a cache there anyway. Where's the can of worms?


 

I think the term Pre-approved might encourage some people to think they need not get permission, scout location, average, ect.

Like if your "proposed" cache is approved, but not listed, you have been given free reign to do an actual cache however/whenever you get to it. icon_wink.gif Which is somewhat taken care of with a time limit you can "hold" a spot without using it.

 

_______________

I would probly never use a 'approve, but do not list' feature. But i could see how such a feature could be usefull, when listing complimentary caches, or one that has some sort of time requirement.

 

waypoint_link.gif22008_1700.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg

Link to post

I think this could work out well.

 

First, I'd like to see the option of delayed release, not forcing everyone into an extra step to place a cache.

 

Make it clear the delayed option is NOT for geosquatting. You must have either placed the cache or have the actual spot ready to place the cache. All scouting, permission, readings, etc. is already done.

 

The approval is good for 14 days only (or some small number of days). When it goes over that number of days, the cache automatically goes from unreleased to disabled. Others will be able to see you're holding the spot. The delay should be long enough for most people. Maybe an option for the approver to push back the delay upon request at submission for those who need more time.

 

I think that would answer my concerns and make it a great new feature.

 

I don't see much more work for the approver, just maybe if the owner requests more time or something.

 

CR

 

72057_2000.gif

Link to post

Some alternatives that some already employ-

 

I, and probably the other approvers, get e-mails from geocachers whose past caches we've approved who want to "run something by us". In affect they are asking for pre-approval of a cache concept that may be somewhat off the wall just to be sure they don't waste time on something that may not be posted.

 

I've had a few attach a note to a cache saying "please approve and archive this. I'll e-mail you the night before to unarchive and post it..."

 

Others attach a note saying "please do not approve before 10pm 12/24/02".

 

We can't deal with too many of the latter type as it blocks the approval queue, but these are things you might try that don't involve Jeremy reprogramming the site to add a new feature.

 

Happy Holidays folks!

 

erik - geocaching adminion lackey

Link to post

quote:
Originally posted by Mopar:

The hider will already have the location and cache page in order. I suspect alot of people will have still already physically placed the cache, and just hit "activate" once its approved. Besides, as it stands now, after my cache is approved, I can STILL go back and make major changes to it, like text, discription, cache type, and location, without having a cache approver look it over. Zero increase in your workload.


I guess what I don't understand is that if you already have a location and the cache page in order, and if in fact you have placed the cache, then why is there a need to wait to activate the cache? That doesn't seem to be needed. I also make changes to the initial description on my cache pages sometimes to make it more readable and add further details as I think of them. I just don't see a need for a delay if you are prepared.

quote:
The approval is good for 14 days only (or some small number of days). When it goes over that number of days, the cache automatically goes from unreleased to disabled. Others will be able to see you're holding the spot. The delay should be long enough for most people. Maybe an option for the approver to push back the delay upon request at submission for those who need more time.
I just cannot imagine taking 14 days, or even needing more time beyond that. To me, that kind of cacher is unprepared and should most likely not be placing the cache in the first place. I am an extremely busy person. Still, I go out and scout the location, I place the cache, then I come home and type up the page and submit the cache so it can be approved ASAP. I think 99 percent of cachers do that. I am usually excited to get a cache live ASAP. When in doubt, I like erik's idea of emailing someone that has approved one of your caches in the past or posting your idea in the forums for review.
Link to post

quote:
Originally posted by mtn-man:

I guess what I don't understand is that if you already have a location and the cache page in order, and if in fact you have placed the cache, then why is there a need to wait to activate the cache?


 

There's no assumption that you have already placed the cache. You might be waiting to place the cache for one reason or another, or you might want to keep it from being visible immediately for other reasons. Herewith, some scenarios:

You want the cache container, stash note, or some other documentation - possibly a geocaching permit of some kind - to be marked with the URL at which that specific cache can be found.

You're placing a puzzle cache and you want to use the waypoint ID as one of the parts of the puzzle.

You're placing a bonus cache that can be found by visiting a handful of other caches and retrieving parts of the coords from them, and you'd like to synchronize the release of those other caches so they all happen at roughly the same time.

You want the cache to become available at a specific time, perhaps to coincide with a local event cache or festival. (Not the same as a limited-time cache; my thought here is that you want to give the out-of-towners who might be in town for the event an even chance at the FTF.)

You have a really nice FTF prize in the cache, you're in a very competitive area, and you'd like to pre-announce the existence and the date and/or time of availability of your cache and its FTF prize in an appropriate forum, so that potential finders all get the coordinates at roughly the same time.

Those are just a few of the thoughts that we discussed in the IRC chat. I'm sure others can come up with better uses for this kind of coordinated release. I would have used something like this with Shortwave so as to cut down on the amount of time that the coordinate cards were available in local caches without the cache itself having been approved (with the proposed system, I could have submitted it for approval, gotten the approval, then placed the cards and enabled the cache. As it is, I placed the cards and then submitted the cache page for approval; if the approval had been held up for some reason, someone could have potentially found the cache before there was a place to log it.)

 

warm.gif

Link to post

quote:
Originally posted by mtn-man:

I guess what I don't understand is that if you already have a location and the cache page in order, and if in fact you have placed the cache, then why is there a need to wait to activate the cache? That doesn't seem to be needed. I also make changes to the initial description on my cache pages sometimes to make it more readable and add further details as I think of them. I just don't see a need for a delay if you are prepared.


WF_F pretty much summed it up, but maybe you missed my initial post:

quote:
Originally posted by Mopar:

The biggest one is the cache hider no longer has to actually PLACE the cache container before submitting the cache. Right now, you pretty much have to, because you never know when it will be approved. This way, if the cache is denied, there is no geolitter out there waiting to be picked back up. Also, the GCID can be included on the cache and in the log book, and even included on the printed "you found it!" sheet. This would make it ALOT easier for noncachers, authorities, etc to locate the cache on the website.

Yes, all this can be done now, just not easily. You can request that the cache approver disable the cache upon posting it, but that make more work for the approver, as that has to manually be done, and the included text in the cache page edited out. Also it still goes out in the cache mailings, and shows up on the cache lists. You can always go back and add the GCID to the cache later, too. But that tends to limit you to quick and dirty means like magic marker or pen. Creative types could paint/carve/engrave/etc the GCID onto a cache, if they had time. Custom logbooks could be make up, if they had the time. Plus there is still the geolitter issue. I wonder how many people (especially those newbies that find a cache, place a cache, then loose interest) don't bother to retrieve a cache that was declined for approval.


 

quote:

I just cannot imagine taking 14 days, or even needing _more_ time beyond that. To me, that kind of cacher is unprepared and should most likely not be placing the cache in the first place. I am an extremely busy person. Still, I go out and scout the location, I place the cache, then I come home and type up the page and submit the cache so it can be approved ASAP. I think 99 percent of cachers do that.


OUCH! Judging by alot of the caches I've found, I'm sure your right. Alot of cachers do it like that. But should they? One I'm considering placing now I've made one trip on a weekend to scout a location. Because of the dynamics of this spot, I have to get there on a weekday and make sure the spot is still safe for a cache. I will also take more readings at the site to avg with my previous readings. If I was following guidelines laid out here, I SHOULD then make a 3rd trip out there, with an authority to see if THEY approve of the spot, and grant me permission to place the cache there. All that is potentially several weeks, and thats to place a simple cache. But all that legwork can be done before submitting the cache, so really isnt affected by my "activate button" idea.

But what about some of the more creative caches out there? What if I wanted to place a cache like Fuzzy mentioned above? Or maybe something that the container needs some sort of specific camo. I don't want to go to that much work until I know I can place the cache. After that, it might take a week or more of my free time to actually make the cache. How about some of the unique containers GizmoDave has made for caches? What if I want him to incorporate the GCID into the design of the container? How long will that take? Knowing the cache id/url before placing the container opens up a whole new world of ideas for caches, as have been mentioned above.

quote:

When in doubt, I like erik's idea of emailing someone that has approved one of your caches in the past or posting your idea in the forums for review.


Thats the way it's done now, but I dont really like it for several reasons. First, as has been complained of here plenty of times, alot of the rules are subjective. What one approver thinks is fine, another one declines. I don't want to get into email debates with several approvers over a cache. I wanna post it, if its approved, I go out, drop off the container (marked with the GCID and possibly even printed cards with the url to the cache for noncachers who find it) and come home and activate it. If it's disproved, I'm done. No caches sitting out there waiting to get picked up.

Second reason. I dont want to post it in the forums. I just made my dificulty 4 multicache a 1 by posting the final location and cache description here for all the local cachers to read. Pretty much spoils the fun of a puzzle cache if you read the solution here last week, doesnt it?

 

I don't think it would require a whole lot of work as far as the website goes, and if you REALLY wanted to dumb it down for those that are afraid of ever changing anything (still driving that '72 Dart, eh?) it could be an option on the hide page that is prechecked "activate immediately".

 

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

Link to post

quote:
Originally posted by ~erik~:

Some alternatives that some already employ-

 

I, and probably the other approvers, get e-mails from geocachers whose past caches we've approved who want to "run something by us". In affect they are asking for pre-approval of a cache concept that may be somewhat off the wall just to be sure they don't waste time on something that may not be posted.

 

I've had a few attach a note to a cache saying "please approve and archive this. I'll e-mail you the night before to unarchive and post it..."

 

Others attach a note saying "please do not approve before 10pm 12/24/02".

 

We can't deal with too many of the latter type as it blocks the approval queue, but these are things you might try that don't involve Jeremy reprogramming the site to add a new feature.

 

Happy Holidays folks!

 

erik - geocaching adminion lackey


icon_frown.gif I'm really starting to think nobody actually READ the initial post here:

quote:
Originally posted by Mopar:

Yes, all this can be done now, just not easily. You can request that the cache approver disable the cache upon posting it, but that make more work for the approver, as that has to manually be done, and the included text in the cache page edited out. Also it still goes out in the cache mailings, and shows up on the cache lists. You can always go back and add the GCID to the cache later, too. But that tends to limit you to quick and dirty means like magic marker or pen. Creative types could paint/carve/engrave/etc the GCID onto a cache, if they had time. Custom logbooks could be make up, if they had the time. Plus there is still the geolitter issue. I wonder how many people (especially those newbies that find a cache, place a cache, then loose interest) don't bother to retrieve a cache that was declined for approval.


The idea would be to eliminate all these workarounds that you say you really can't do many of, as they take lots of your time, and slow the approval proccess. I'm guessing this would be a fairly minor feature to code, and would eliminate those limited workarounds that block the approval queue. It's obvious that its a pain on your end to do it like that, as well as the hiders. If it was something easy, and not frowned upon like the above suggestions, maybe more people would use it for more creative caches.

 

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

Link to post
  • 3 weeks later...

Mopar. I've got a cache in the works that has been stalled for winter. It's in the Craters of the Moon National Monument. Run by a joint effort of the BLM and National Parks. I have tentative permision by the BLM for a zone they control.

 

I will need to make a cache page and let them see it to make sure that it will have all the elements they requested (Tread lightly, and certain warnings).

 

Wherever you go there you are.

Link to post

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

I will need to make a cache page and let them see it to make sure that it will have all the elements they requested (Tread lightly, and certain warnings).


This sort of thing would help greatly in my own permission quest. The first thing the guy at the park wanted to see was the cache page. Instead, I'll have to print out some other cache, and use it as an example.

 

But there's other times I've wanted to do this, too. When I finally get around to hiding a cache, I want to label the container with the coordinates, cache name, and GC number (among other things.) Mopar's idea would make that very easy.

 

My vote is to implement Mopar's idea.

 

Jamie

Link to post

I give it a yes from this end too.

 

We sometimes place caches only to then comeup with a better name for it.. (Usually after some adult beverages!).

Then have to run back out to the spot and relabel everything.

 

I think it has its merits.

 

Leave it to the admins though.

Link to post
  • 3 weeks later...

I got here before the cache was even placed. I was getting frustrated when I found the cache hider walking down the trail with the tupperware container in hand. He didn't know it had been approved yet and was counting on placing it before it got listed on the site. If it is not too much of a programming nightmare, this would be a great feature.

 

stealyourcache.gif Half my life is spent explaining to Christians why I am a deadhead. The other half is spent explaining to deadheads why I am a Christian. -Dru Morgan

Link to post

I know Mopar doesn't want workarounds, but here's one to consider: Many of us have caches that we created and archived. I have one that I archived just to use as a "scratch pad" to practice HTML on before copying and pasting to a cache page to submit. Others may have a cache that was submitted but not approved. Why not use an archived cache to enter all the data that goes on the real cache. Print it out and take it to the park authorities. Only the GCxxxx number will be different from the real thing, as will the text stating that the cache is archived.

 

Don't use a cache that was archived after people have logged "finds" on it or you'll really cause confusion if they ever go back to see what they logged. icon_wink.gif

 

Again, this is only presented as a workaround, as only Jeremy can do the programming you're asking about.

 

~erik~

Link to post

On my most recent cache I noticed Honeychile put "HOLD:HC" on the front of name of the cache. I presume it was to let other approvers know she was working on the approval, so effort would not be duplicated.

 

I've been wondering how the process works on the other side, mainly how caches are listed on an approver's screen. I had a cache_ID I wanted to use and was told to change the date to the present and it would come to the approver's attention. I ended up having to email Eric who jumped right on it.

 

Here's my point, is there an procedure that could be developed that would alert the approvers that the user wanted their cache approved, but placed on hold (approved, but archived) so the user can later change the title to include something to alert the approvers that the cache is now ready to be unarchived? Something other than emailing an individual who might not receive your email for a while.

 

I was thinking something like the HOLD used on my cache. Maybe USERHOLD and if approved something added to the title to alert other approvers it was approved. Then when the user is ready, he can change the USERHOLD to RELEASE and now any approver could be alerted, know it is ready for release and approve it for real.

 

Like i said, I don't know the mechanics of the approval process, but something like this could be developed with minimum effect and the site wouldn't have to be reprogramed.

 

Thoughts?

 

CR

 

72057_2000.gif

Link to post

Oh, the reason I'm looking for something like this is, I've been thinking of a cache that is extremely difficult to get to, but I'm uncertain of it getting approved. Though others have said it shouldn't be a problem, I don't want to go through the effort to place this cache and find out it wasn't approved.

 

Granted, it's unlikely that anyone would hunt this cache right away if posted, but I'd certainly hate to have someone get to the coordinates before I had a chance to place it.

 

CR

 

72057_2000.gif

Link to post

quote:
Originally posted by ~erik~:

I know Mopar doesn't want workarounds, but here's one to consider: Many of us have caches that we created and archived. I have one that I archived just to use as a "scratch pad" to practice HTML on before copying and pasting to a cache page to submit. Others may have a cache that was submitted but not approved. Why not use an archived cache to enter all the data that goes on the real cache.

~erik~


I did consider that, Erik, but like you said, it is still a work around. And with 3 caches placed by me, and 2 more by my caching partner, I still don't have any that haven't been approved. (No need to take that as a personal challenge, Erik! LOL) It also doesn't give me the GCID I would like to have before placing the cache. It would be nice to include the GCID and maybe even the full URL to the cache page, so non-cachers or official types who found the cache could easily find it on the web.

I know Jeremy is working on a major site overhaul, and lots of other ideas I've seen posted seem more important, even to me, but it seems like a fairly easy feature to add, and the fact that the topic keeps coming to the top tells me there is some interest in it.

 

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

Link to post

quote:
the reason I'm looking for something like this is, I've been thinking of a cache that is extremely difficult to get to, but I'm uncertain of it getting approved. Though others have said it shouldn't be a problem, I don't want to go through the effort to place this cache and find out it wasn't approved.


 

You might want to just go to the bottom of one of your approved caches and see who approved it. Then send that person an e-mail describing what you have in mind. I've been able to help several people by either telling them that it sounded great or suggesting some modifications to make it great. I know the other approvers have done the same.

 

And Mopar, rather than wait for me to accept your challenge you could archive your own cache. I don't think we'd want many people doing that all the time as the database would be full of these things, but it's one way to create a cache posting rough draft so you have something to print out and show the park ranger. I suppose if it's done infrequently you could even e-mail an approver and ask that it be reviewed, unarchived, and posted. That is a work around to the whole approval system, but if it's done only rarely and for a legitimate reason I'm sure we'd work with you.

 

~erik~

Link to post
  • 1 month later...

I think the ability of the hider to activate a cache would be useful. I once went to a cache site but it wasn't placed yet. I later realized that the "Hidden" date was a future date but it was approved 2 days before that date. The hider did not realize this would happen.

 

Also, I plan to leave a limited number of custom collector cards in each of my caches for the first 10 or so finders. The card includes a photo of the cache on site. It would be nice if I could place the cache, take the picture, get it approved and still have time to return and place the cards in the cache before it went active.

 

Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza. - Dave Barry

Link to post

I have noticed that even before the cache is approved, you can temporarily disable it. (if you do this, you might want to leave a log entry on why it is disabled so the approvers don't get confused.) Would this work? I've never tried it, but it seems like it would solve at least some of the problems.

 

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

Link to post

I think and I have been wrong before but anyone placing a cache and has been reading the forums know pretty much what will get approved or not . Its seem to me when it’s different that they give the problems to the approvers. So whatever you summit the regular caches are going to get approved and all others you will have to talk with an approver with anyway so why the extra work load . ………….JOE

Link to post

quote:
Originally posted by Marky:

I have noticed that even before the cache is approved, you can temporarily disable it. (if you do this, you might want to leave a log entry on why it is disabled so the approvers don't get confused.) Would this work? I've never tried it, but it seems like it would solve at least some of the problems.


I think you can, but like was discussed back when this thread started, a disabled cache still shows up in a cache search, it still shows up in nearest and newest listings, and it still goes out in the weekly email.

 

quote:
Originally posted by jogps:

I think and I have been wrong before but anyone placing a cache and has been reading the forums know pretty much what will get approved or not . Its seem to me when it’s different that they give the problems to the approvers. So whatever you summit the regular caches are going to get approved and all others you will have to talk with an approver with anyway so why the extra work load


You are right, if I have the slightest doubt about a cache I run it by an approver first. So yeah, I know its going to be approved, but I still don't know when or what the GCID is going to be. I can't add the GCID to the container or log untill after its been approved. That means holding the cache until it's approved, and hoping I get back there to drop the cache off before the rabid first finders (last local cache posted had 4 finds within hours of it being approved!), or going back and doing a sloppy job of it in the field. As for the extra workload, I don't have anywhere NEAR the nuber of placed caches you do (you guys with 50-100 caches amaze me! Often singlehandedly jumpstarting the sport in an area), I don't see how clicking one extra button is that much of an increase in workload. Those who already have everything in order would just have to push the "post now" button when they submit a new cache. Those of us that want to add the cache GCID or URL to our caches and welcome sheets can wait till after we did that and placed the cache in the field to press that button. One mouse click more then currently there. Surely that extra workload wont kill anyone?

 

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

Link to post

quote:
Originally posted by Mopar:

quote:
Originally posted by Marky:

I have noticed that even before the cache is approved, you can temporarily disable it. (if you do this, you might want to leave a log entry on why it is disabled so the approvers don't get confused.) Would this work? I've never tried it, but it seems like it would solve at least some of the problems.


I think you can, but like was discussed back when this thread started, a disabled cache still shows up in a cache search, it still shows up in nearest and newest listings, and it still goes out in the weekly email.


I don't see the problem with this. If there is a note on a disabled cache stating that the cache is not there, I am certainly not going to go looking for it. And when it shows up on the nearest lists, it shows up down at the bottom, as disabled. This seems like a workable solution.

 

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

Link to post

quote:
Originally posted by Marky:

I don't see the problem with this. If there is a note on a disabled cache stating that the cache is not there, I am certainly not going to go looking for it. And when it shows up on the nearest lists, it shows up down at the bottom, as disabled. This seems like a workable solution.

 

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"


If you can actually do this (I'm not totally sure you can) it is fairly workable. I would personally prefer it not to be viewable to others (like an unapproved cache), so this way the hider could also choose what date to release the cache on. See how useful one little button could be?

 

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

Link to post

I had been wondering about how to do that. I would be apt to maybe put a little better stuff in a cache if I had some control.

 

I have no self control, I'm working on it..

 

*****************************************

This Space Intentionally Left Blank

Link to post
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...