Etrex 30 Screen Problem

Tarot

Since the announcement of the new etrex range, I have been waiting to get the etrex 30 model. It is difficult to find any stock here in the UK, but I found one available at my local Go Outdoors store.

I collected it earlier today and immediately noticed a problem when I turned the unit on. There were 2 stuck pixels on the screen, one orange and one blue. This was most noticeable on the start up and mass storage screens, which have a very dark background. But once you know they are there, you can notice them on most of the other screens.

I called Garmin UK tech support and was surprised at their response. They do not consider 2 dead or stuck pixels a fault, and would only deem it a problem for more than 4 faulty pixels. I have had several Garmin gps units including the Oregon 550, and have never noticed this problem before.

Fortunately the Go Outdoors store was more than happy to refund my money or offer a replacement. I decided to take a refund, and find out if other users are having similar problems with the screen.

Regards Tarot (Bob)

Since the announcement of the new etrex range, I have been waiting to get the etrex 30 model. It is difficult to find any stock here in the UK, but I found one available at my local Go Outdoors store.

I collected it earlier today and immediately noticed a problem when I turned the unit on. There were 2 stuck pixels on the screen, one orange and one blue. This was most noticeable on the start up and mass storage screens, which have a very dark background. But once you know they are there, you can notice them on most of the other screens.

I called Garmin UK tech support and was surprised at their response. They do not consider 2 dead or stuck pixels a fault, and would only deem it a problem for more than 4 faulty pixels. I have had several Garmin gps units including the Oregon 550, and have never noticed this problem before.

Fortunately the Go Outdoors store was more than happy to refund my money or offer a replacement. I decided to take a refund, and find out if other users are having similar problems with the screen.

Regards Tarot (Bob)

Thanks for the heads up, Bob. I'm considering the eTrex 30, myself. Weird response from Garmin, though. I had issues with a 60CSx and a 62s which were cosmetic in nature and they encouraged me to have them replaced, which I did.

I just got my Etrex 30 today. No problem with the screen so far.

Etrex 30, stuck red pixel here at the bottom just left of the middle on the vertical. Doesn't bother me to use however worried about it damaging the resale value as am thinking of getting rid of the 30 and going back to my Legend HCx.

no problems with mine, but i'll be watchin...

garmin doesn't make the screens... but they do try and buy the cheapest ones they can.

i do know if you buy a new LCD monitor for your home, it has to be so many bad pixels before you can get service/replacement at most stores (last time i bought one anyway).

i'd go for a swap. but that's me.