Johannesburg and caching for foreigners

Xaa

Hi there,

After all the horror stories, perhaps it would be nice to hear from people who actually now the real story :-)

Next week I'll be visiting Johannesburg for a few days on business, and I would love to have the opportunity to add a continent and a southern hemisphere cache to my 'collection' :-) Time for real caching will be limited I'm afraid.

But are there any good tips for 'do this, don't do that' as far as caches are concerned. Right or wrong, Johannesburg doesn't have the best reputation in the world as far as safety is concerned. But I guess that doesn't mean everything is bad, right?

Thanks

Hi Xaa

Firstly one should take the same precautions as one should take when travelling to any large city anywhere in the world. Don't flash expensive items, don't go wandering down dark alleys on your own, and try not to look like a lost tourist. Sure there are safer cities in the world, but there are many more that are much more dangerous. There are areas that are safer, and some which one rather would avoid or should only tackle at certain times of the day.

In general, night caching is not advisable. Something that is very different from caching in Europe is that here muggles tend to take a greater interest in what you are doing which can make caching challenging, not necessarily dangerous.

I see no reason that you will not be able to tick off a country and a continent, but let us know your dates and whereabouts (staying, working location) and we will be in a better position to advise. You'll find cachers around here a friendly bunch and there's a good chance that someone will be willing to show you around or accompany you to do some caching.

Edited by GlobalRat

Well, thanks for the information. Most of it is quite logical for any city you don't know, indeed :)

Since we heard everything on very short notice (as in yesterday), and we'll be there from tuesday morning to thursday evening, it might be quite difficult to arrange meeting local cachers, though perhaps wednesday might not be a bad option. Just got to take care of the non-cacher(s) in our group :)

I'm not sure yet where we'll be staying. Part of our work will be Booysens or Martindale if I understand the names of regions in JHB well enough.

There's not much caching in those two areas, light industrial/commercial areas mostly. Let us know where you will be staying when you find out, there are sure to be some caches on your route to/from work.

I wouldn't advise caching in parks or greenbelts after nightfall. After work hours, between 4 and 6 the bigger parks in Emmarentia, and Delta park have plenty of dog walkers. Quite a few caches in Delta park and the surrounding area. There's a number of roadside caches in that area and Greenside as well which you should be able to do easily enough at pretty much anytime, assuming you have a rented vehicle.

Thanks, GlobalRat,

I just noticed that on Wednesday there would be an event Grey Owl Village. Sounds like the perfect thing to be doing, just need to convince the others in my group, either to join me or not to miss me.

And of course to arrange for getting there. But it sounds like perfect caching fun!

Xaa:

It was nice to meet you last night during the event. Have a save trip home.

:rolleyes:

It was indeed great to meet you. It is a pity you were here for such a short time because it would have been good to show you around a bit while you accumulate some caches along the way.

Safe home and I hope to see you on these shores again - Maybe, even for the 2012 Mega Event!

Thanks all :) yep, I made it back home... over 20 hours from Joburg center to home, and I did check whether there was a dotted line at the equator (nope, couldn't see it from the plan).

And as a nice detail of travelling... 4 different landings. Frankfurt we had delays both times because missing ground crews to get people off the plane, and Schiphol had a technical error when connecting the bridge to the plane, so only ORTambo managed to get us out right away

I'm another foreigner... I didn't think to look at this forum until just now!

I arrived in Johannesburg yesterday; my first time here... and only for a short time (for work). I am staying in Sandton, and found my first cache yesterday (multi around Nelson Mandela Square). I enjoyed it very much.

Tomorrow I have the day free before I fly home to the UK tomorrow night. I'm planning to rent a car and so some of the "GPS" power trail (the section along the R114 - starting with GC2ZQC5 GPS - T-Junction Sign - NB) as well as maybe visit the Rhino and Lion Preserve. Any advice would be appreciated - sorry I know it's short notice!

My wife is concerned I'll drive some place where I should not be...

Mark

Just an update on what I did:

I did as planned - hired a car, and found some caches on the way to the "Rhino and Lion Nature Reserve". As I was alone, and did not know the area (and my wife and children at home were very nervous) I was careful. I also wanted to maximise my time in the Nature Reserve, so it was just 20 finds for me on the way (plus one cache which is inside the "Reserve"). If I saw any muggles or even a muggle house nearby I skipped it - I stuck to areas where I could see there was nobody around. I had a great day. If I ever get to return I hope it will be for longer and with more notice, and I can meet up with some local cachers.

I did as planned - hired a car, and found some caches on the way to the "Rhino and Lion Nature Reserve". As I was alone, and did not know the area (and my wife and children at home were very nervous) I was careful. I also wanted to maximise my time in the Nature Reserve, so it was just 20 finds for me on the way (plus one cache which is inside the "Reserve"). If I saw any muggles or even a muggle house nearby I skipped it - I stuck to areas where I could see there was nobody around. I had a great day. If I ever get to return I hope it will be for longer and with more notice, and I can meet up with some local cachers.

Glad you had a good time - and good for being realistic and alert as a tourist.

On Saturday morning we got a surprise visit by to Australian cachers. Team name Griffo. They had walked from the airport to our house, about a 4 to 5 km walk using the side roads)

They were in transit on their way to climb Kilimanjaro. I wanted to take them with to the Date in the Delta event, but they had to leave at 12, and we would have cut it much to fine. So instead I decided to take them on a few caches around Edenvale, and let team Griffo pick up a few more caches then just 1 in South Africa. I think they had a good time, and saw a little bit of the area.

As a bonus we did a cache together which I had not yet done.

Dropped them of safely at the airport.

I gave Griffo one of my TBs, and if all works out well, it will see the top of Kilimanjaro. If it happens it will be awesome!

If there are any other international (or even national) travellers at OR Thambo airport who would like to visit "Coffee Stop" (our current home cache), we will gladly provide a shuttle service, if we are available, from the airport.

@Griffo: Great meeting you, and happy climbing!

If there are any other international (or even national) travellers at OR Thambo airport who would like to visit "Coffee Stop" (our current home cache), we will gladly provide a shuttle service, if we are available, from the airport.

Anton - how far does the "shuttle service" operate. I land at 09h25 next Friday and would like to do some new caches between Jan Smuts and Rustenburg. How about it? :laughing::ph34r:B)

Pity I missed this post! I would've been more than happy to take you around. Perhaps next time or perhaps you'll be able to make it to our Mega Event next year! B)