Teaching Geocaching

My church has an after school program for grade school students on Wednesdays. The kids get to choose different 6 week elective classes that range from painting, to poetry, to archery, to now geocaching. I have created a rather loose curriculum to introduce them to GPSr, cache types, trackables & how to find/hide a cache. I have just finished the first class and will start a new one next week. The kids had a blast running around and following the GPSr to caches I had hidden on the property. To finish up the class we placed a new cache and launched a travel bug. It was great see them grab hold of something that will get them outside and away from the X Box.

Has anyone ever taught geocaching in a similar way? I'd like to swap some ideas to make it a better class for the kids.

At the camp I work at, I take neophyte cachers out all the time. I find that explaining things as we are going is useful. Those who are interested in the workings of GPS and different cache types will hang close & ask questions as we go, those who are just happy to be out and about get that, too. Of course, the Multi cache on the property has a half mile walk to the first stage, so there's lots of time for intro stuff as we go along.

The only things I explain before going out are:

1. What Geocaching IS
  2. Why the cache page is important (in the case of the multi, it tells you where the trailhead is) and where to get it
  3. How the ROT 13 cipher works (Typically, someone will decrypt it on the fly)

I have taught Geocaching to a University Geology class, down to a Sea Cadet group, and just about everything in between.

The important thing to remember is to gear each lesson to Age, and interest of the group.

You may have to teach from ,why a GPS does what it does, right down to treating the lesson like a Pirate Treasure hunt

Edited by coman123

I have taught Geocache classes in a local park for American River Conservancy and the local senior center. After about 5 total it seemed to run out of steam. I used a 3 hour hike (3 miles) in Cronin where we found 10 caches (different types) and after each one I talked for a short time. That helped break up the lecture part.

I also made up a one hour powerpoint presentation for lecture only.

I have taught Geocaching to a University Geology class, down to a Sea Cadet group, and just about everything in between.

The important thing to remember is to gear each lesson to Age, and interest of the group.

You may have to teach from ,why a GPS does what it does, right down to treating the lesson like a Pirate Treasure hunt

Age and interest. I agree that is key to making it fun for them.

I have taught Geocache classes in a local park for American River Conservancy and the local senior center. After about 5 total it seemed to run out of steam. I used a 3 hour hike (3 miles) in Cronin where we found 10 caches (different types) and after each one I talked for a short time. That helped break up the lecture part.

I also made up a one hour powerpoint presentation for lecture only.

I like the idea of teaching while caching!

I have taught a group before.

the main thing I learned was, "keep it simple." I tend to want to give too much info.

They'll figure out the rest later, but it's important to not overload them.

I used the Groundspeak video on the main page to start with (don't worry Groundspeak, I did the class for free, so made no money off of showing your video). That does a really good job of the basics of "what geocaching is."

Then I moved into how to find caches and get them in your GPS.

I talked about cache containers (had a lot of examples to pass around, people learn better when they touch things) and travel bugs (passed those around too) and the basics of a hunt.

I briefly covered hiding too, hitting on just the main points and where to find more info.

Questions from people got me into "choosing a GPS" and some other topics.

We went out to a paved trail that was on wetlands. There were many caches along the path.

When I see people start out with city caches, I see them get as bored as I do with them, so I try to start people out on some nice larger caches in a wooded setting.

I've taught geocaching to kids at church a few times. I try to keep it simple, and make it as "hands on" as possible. Here's what I do for a 1-hour intro to geocaching:

In class, I start by explaining the basic concept: someone hides a container and publishes the location, then others go to the location and look for the container.

Then I briefly explain coordinates, using a globe to explain longitude and latitude. I briefly explain how GPS works as follows: Before the class, I hang brightly colored yarn from the ceiling. During class, I explain that GPS receivers use radio waves to measure how far away they are from GPS satellites. Then I use one of the pieces of yarn to show that a distance (the length of the yarn) from a satellite (the spot on the ceiling) defines a circle. Then I show that two pieces of yarn define two locations (where the circles intersect). Then I show that three pieces of yarn defines which of those two locations it is, because the three distances match at only one point. All this takes less than 5 minutes. It's much easier to show it than it is to explain how to show it.

Then I show them different containers—at least one container of each size, and at least a couple that are camouflaged. I pass around a few of the containers, and then we look at what's inside an example container:

• a stash note, which lets me talk about the basic rules printed on my stash notes:
    1. If you take something, then leave something.
    2. Sign the log.
    3. Put the container back where you found it.

[*]a log, which lets me talk about geocaching.com account names ("Mine is 'niraD', which is just my first name spelled backward.")[*]trade items, which let me talk about trading fairly, and what kinds of things should not be placed in caches[*]TBs and geocoins, which lets me talk about the rules for trackables

I also pass around all these things as we discuss them.

Then I show a cache page, emphasizing the type, size, difficulty, and terrain. I explain briefly what each of these things mean. For example, I explain that 1-star terrain is easy and wheelchair accessible, and that 5-star terrain is very hard and probably requires you to know how to use special equipment like scuba gear, climbing gear, or a boat. I don't try to cover what all the terrain ratings mean, let alone what all the terrain ratings mean in detail.

Finally, I take them outside to an area where I've hidden more than a dozen containers. I have them stand behind a line and raise their hands when they spot a cache. (This is just basic crowd control.) I call on the ones who raise their hands and have them point to the caches they saw. The first several caches are spotted quickly, but I make sure there are a few really challenging ones. Depending on the time remaining and their interest level, I may offer hints for these last few caches.

I print Groundspeak's PDF brochure and have it available for any kids/parents who are interested in pursuing geocaching further.

All this fills an hour class nicely. When I have more time, I take them on a hike so we can find actual geocaches, and so they can take turns using a GPSr. I specifically do not take them to the neighborhood caches near the church.

I "taught" a 90 min session on Geocaching as a therapeutic modality at a national conference of recreational therapists last month in Indianapolis. I work in a physical rehabilitation unit and have used geocaching with some of my brain injured patients. It is a remarkable physical, cognitive, and emotional activity. It is a great way to assess safety as well. I place my own hides on hospital property (which is quite extensive) and mark the waypoints for the therapy session. It is not only therapeutic during the activity but also a great way to educate people to a meaningful, new hobby.

Edited by geoCATing

This is a great thread. I will be teaching a class during an after school program that runs one day per week for three weeks. It will be elementary aged kids. I haven't decided if I should only do 4th and 5th graders or open it up to younger kids. I really wish I had more time and multiple sessions. It starts in February so I will be watching this thread for more great ideas. I love the idea of teaching latitude and longitude using the yarn. Brilliant idea!!

My church has an after school program for grade school students on Wednesdays. The kids get to choose different 6 week elective classes that range from painting, to poetry, to archery, to now geocaching. I have created a rather loose curriculum to introduce them to GPSr, cache types, trackables & how to find/hide a cache. I have just finished the first class and will start a new one next week. The kids had a blast running around and following the GPSr to caches I had hidden on the property. To finish up the class we placed a new cache and launched a travel bug. It was great see them grab hold of something that will get them outside and away from the X Box.

Has anyone ever taught geocaching in a similar way? I'd like to swap some ideas to make it a better class for the kids.

There is a Boy Scouts merit badge now. You can pick up the merit badge book at any scout store, then download the workbook. I've been teaching it for awhile and it is gaining popularity.

http://usscouts.org/mb/mb145.asp

- TJ

There is a Boy Scouts merit badge now. You can pick up the merit badge book at any scout store, then download the workbook. I've been teaching it for awhile and it is gaining popularity.

http://usscouts.org/mb/mb145.asp

- TJ

Thanks for the good info! You are obviously a frood who really knows where his towel is.

I have taught geocaching to a number of different groups - BLM, Boy Scouts, Open Space Rangers, and a few other non-profit organizations in the past. As already stated, customizing the content to the audience is key.

When kids are involved, focus on the activity of geocaching - i.e. have a GPS pre-loaded with a few "example" hides (placed specifically for your presentation), and have the contents be appropriate for the lesson.

When families are involved, focus on both the activity of geocaching and the benefits of it. Adding to the above, have discussion points on how geocaching keeps families active, interested and away from the TV.

When official organizations (BLM, parks department, etc) are involved, focus on the benefits that geocaching brings - promotes outdoor activity, unique way to showcase their properties, etc.

When official non-profit organizations (YMCA, Boy Scouts, etc), focus on the the activity (kids), benefits (parents), and skills taught (troop leaders). Navigation, LNT, compass, math, etc.

I 'taught' Geocaching to some Girl Scouts this summer. The ages of the attendees ranged from Girl Scout Daisys (age 5) to Girl Scout Seniors (teens). The camp we were using has a few GPSr's pre-loaded with the private caches hidden on property (not published on any of the websites). I showed the girls how to use the GPSr's and select the next cache to find. Even the youngest of the groups were able to do this with minimal help after a few turns.

for the younger group, I explained how there are imaginary lines around the earth and the numbers were the secret codes of where the lines crossed. The older girls understood longitude and latitude.

I did not address how to log found/DNF caches on the website. I only told them that they would normally do that if they wanted to Geocache for real.

I understand there is a new Girl Scout Junior Geocaching badge due out anytime. The books are not yet widely available at this time.